PDA

View Full Version : Government Model Clone Problem

Gazz
March 28, 2017, 07:07
I have an Essex frame and slide pistol that I bought at a yard sale. It worked fine when I got it although the trigger pull was a bit heavy and I thought it might be great donor to accessorize. So years later after adding some components like grip safety, trigger, hammer sear and sights, I have a pistol that is quite accurate and almost 100% reliable. The one problem it has is the disconnector sticks when the slide is initially racked preventing the pistol from firing on the first trigger pull - it just makes a clicking sort of noise (which I guess is the disconnector popping up). Pull the trigger the second time and the pistol runs fine and will run a full magazine with no problem. With the slide locked back, I can see the disconnector is just barely above the top surface of the frame. If I poke it with a screwdriver, it pops up. I have tried polishing the sear, the disconnector, the end of the sear spring, the trigger bow and the hole in the frame that the disconnector goes through and nothing helped. Then I changed the sear spring which only made the trigger pull much heavier - the disconnector still sticks. I'll be looking through my piles of parts today to see if I have another disconnector. Any other thoughts on this?

TenTea
March 28, 2017, 08:17
Another disco might be the resolution if the oldie is out of spec or a burr under the saddle somewhere.

Does the disco act the same whether running dry or wet with lube?

There are several ways to adjust the 3 fingered sear spring by bending slightly, one way or the other.
Jack Weigand has a good method, for example: http://www.brownells.com/aspx/learn/learndetail.aspx?lid=10297

Ignoring trigger pull weight for now, does increasing pressure on the disco portion of the leaf spring solve the problem?

Also, see this thread for ideas: https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=441020

http://dave2.freeshell.org/1911/hammer6/P094250007f.jpg

Gazz
March 28, 2017, 09:17
Thanks for that info.
Lube did not help or change anything. the spring that I removed was sort of odd though, it had four fingers as the disconnector leaf was split in two. I thought at first that was going to be the problem but it wasn't. I'll check out the links provided.

TenTea
March 28, 2017, 10:58
Clark markets a 4 finger spring.

https://clarkcustomguns.com/files/2015/03/searspring.jpg

Gazz
March 28, 2017, 21:52
I think I found the problem. I took apart a Colt Series 70 to compare and found that the disco in the Essex is a bit different. The angled portion that the spring rides on is shorter so when the slide retracts it pushes the disco down far enough that the spring is now bearing on the top edge and not on the angled portion so it just stays there. I may have another disco at the shop and will try that or order a new one if I have to. I'm going to put the four fingered spring back in as well.
Thanks for the help!

TenTea
March 29, 2017, 05:51
I think I found the problem. I took apart a Colt Series 70 to compare and found that the disco in the Essex is a bit different. The angled portion that the spring rides on is shorter so when the slide retracts it pushes the disco down far enough that the spring is now bearing on the top edge and not on the angled portion so it just stays there. I may have another disco at the shop and will try that or order a new one if I have to. I'm going to put the four fingered spring back in as well.
Thanks for the help!

Cool ~ you are welcome.
I think you found the problem and an easy fix.

My first 1911 was a WWII Remington Rand slide on an Essex frame, made in Island Pond, VT. It wasn't pretty and it wasn't valuable but it sure was reliable and fun. As time went on I developed 1911 disease which still plagues me to this day... ;)

Gazz
March 29, 2017, 07:47
I hear you on the disease thing.

Gazz
March 31, 2017, 08:46
The new disconnector did not work in fact it would not move up or down at all when the pin was installed. The disconnector was in a pile of parts that I had bought from the estate of deceased gunsmith and was included in a small tool box with 1911 parts and was in a small manilla envelope simply labeled disconnector. It looked unused and also slightly different from the one that I removed but very much like a 1911 disconnector. I put the original one back in but kept trying sear springs until I found one that made it work a little better. Now when I pull the trigger after releasing the slide I can feel and hear a click as I start to pull the trigger. Then it drops the hammer as it should. I'm hoping that it only does it on the first shot (which is how it would screw up before) as I think I can live with it considering the intended use of the pistol. At least now I do not have to pull, release and pull again. A trip to the range will tell.

TenTea
March 31, 2017, 09:37
Does it pass the click test?

This may have absolutely nothing to do with your pistol. :wink:

I think you still have a fly in the ointment and something is slightly out of spec.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7t1U_nBY4C0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

hueyville
April 02, 2017, 11:22
Replace the disconnector and that four finger spring and bet it will run 100%. FYI, have had several Essex 1911's. Built my first IPSC unlimited on an Essex frame as was a teenager with no money. Two seasons of 500 rounds per week of major power factor loads cracked the frame but that's why Marine Corp is supposidly dumping their modern Colts. If shoot any pistol a lot, frequent inspections with magnification at stress areas is a good idea.