PDA

View Full Version : CAI L1A1 help

ALMODUX
March 26, 2017, 19:21
Searches didn't turn up a lot, so I'll apologize in advance if I missed something....but have a 'sporter' on the way and other than needing a buttstock and pg to replace the thumb hole crap, what else do I need to get this thing up and optics ready and running? I'm no FAL purist, just wanted a passable one of my own to play with to see if I wanted a really nice one for an MBR-type. I'm aware that there are imperfections/issues with some of these 'lesser' builds, but I'm hoping I got lucky and/or I can get guidance here to ensure I can at least get it right for s test bed. I don't have hands on it yet, as I'm overseas, but seems straight imbel receiver, CAI L1A1 build. Anything is helpful, and I work on plenty of stuff....just no FAL expert.

Thanks.

308/223shooter
March 27, 2017, 00:13
Likely a ban era SLR, so a re-thread of the barrel and replacement of the missing pistol grip bushing would be in order. Easy enough to do, just ensure the smith cutting the muzzle threads knows what he's doing.

ALMODUX
March 27, 2017, 07:55
Rethread?....muzzle, I presume? I'm looking at having it cut/crowned back to 18" and having threaded 5/8x24 for using common FH/suppressor stuff. Don't know if losing 2" will pose any major issues or not, since it's adjustable gas?
I'm already looking for a replacement stock and PG. Guess I'll ensure I have a bushing to go with it.

Thanks

gunplumber
March 27, 2017, 08:16
5/8 is larger than 9/16. There is no extra barrel to thread.

While legally you can go back to 16", L1A1s don't do so well when starved of gas. I would leave it full length. If you're going to shorten it, 18" is handy, and you can use a PNG F1 short flash hider.

I'd also abandon any notion of suppressing the rifle. They suck suppressed, and the backpressure beats them apart. You want to run a can on a .308, get a gun with an adjustable gas port/plug. The slight "tuning" capable on the FAL is insufficient.

There is also a lot of work on the lower you may be unaware of. Here's my blog on it. I can do the work a la carte, or as part of a complete rebuild package. If it's more than you want to do, I can also buy the gun outright to strip it for parts.

https://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/notes/notes-fal-tut-thumbhole/notes-fal-tut-thumbhole.html

Have value priced stock sets here http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402648

ALMODUX
March 27, 2017, 09:53
LOL....had never considered a FAL barrel being skinnier than pretty much all else in the world. Crazy. I had also never considered that gas regulation for suppressed use that's been solved for most other stuff, is unsolved on the FAL?

Just hadn't thought I'd be diving off the quirky deep end by trying to get into FALs. LOL

PG stud is comprehensible, but barrel thinness and nobody having a suppressor-ready gas mitigation setup?....kinda head scratching.

Do the penguin stocks fit the CAI/inch lowers?
Heavier barrel options or just thread adapters?

You are correct that I won't get into spending a ton of $ on this thing, but I hope to get it reliable, accurate, and complete. It can then be another rifle available....or go down the road, if not. Was actually planning on a DSA, if I like the platform over my 7.62 AR builds or M1As.

gunplumber
March 27, 2017, 12:39
LOL....had never considered a FAL barrel being skinnier than pretty much all else in the world.

It's not. 1950s, there was no need to meet 2010 .308 AR standard. The .308 AR-10 of te 50s was 1/2x28.

Crazy. I had also never considered that gas regulation for suppressed use that's been solved for most other stuff, is unsolved on the FAL?

Some have experimented with welding in a gas plug and redrilling around .06-.07"

Do the penguin stocks fit the CAI/inch lowers?

no. FAL and L1A1 are generally not interchangeable except as complete upper/middle/lower assemblies.

Heavier barrel options or just thread adapters?

Adapter. Someone - Lear70? was making them.

ALMODUX
March 27, 2017, 14:21
Thanks.

....but all that just makes me want to get rid of anything FAL and keep my real rifles. LOL

ce
March 28, 2017, 15:19
You should get a SCAR.

It's de riguer for the elite corps of effete platforms.

gunplumber
March 28, 2017, 19:13
You should get a SCAR.

It's de riguer for the elite corps of effete platforms.

Yeah, but when he called the M14 a "real" rifle (in general issue in one country for 7 years), I wrote him off as untrainable.

tdb59
March 28, 2017, 19:17
Yeah, but when he called the M14 a "real" rifle (in general issue in one country for 7 years), I wrote him off as untrainable.

At least he was not in praise of the .236 Lee Navy !

:wink:

ALMODUX
March 29, 2017, 10:51
Some folks always put out assumptions better than they take up info. The problem with Internet boards is that lack of reading comprehension or actual knowledge or character don't prevent finger function.

ce
March 29, 2017, 11:27
Watch this, it's my finger.

Pluribus
March 29, 2017, 16:29
Some folks always put out assumptions better than they take up info. The problem with Internet boards is that lack of reading comprehension or actual knowledge or character don't prevent finger function.

If you're gonna take this seriously then, you're not having fun.

Whut n whut about buts n stuff here: http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60277

I know, you're not a fng.

gunplumber
March 29, 2017, 19:35

Was actually planning on a DSA, if I like the platform over my 7.62 AR builds or M1As. Thanks.
....but all that just makes me want to get rid of anything FAL and keep my real rifles. LOL

Reading comprehension has never been my weak point.

Of course, I only know what you wrote, not what you meant.

ftierson
March 29, 2017, 19:51
Reading comprehension has never been my weak point.

Of course, I only know what you wrote, not what you meant.

:)

Forrest

vmtz
March 30, 2017, 08:28
At least he was not in praise of the .236 Lee Navy !

:wink:

WTF is wrong with the Lee Navy? I am building one with a carbon fiber stock, collapsible A1 stock and a mega-super quiet silencer. I added a gas block so it is now a full auto semi. I'm going to paint is like ol' dixie. Why, I remember my wife in Tennessee saying "Virgil, if they're quick, they'll say there goes the Robert E. Lee." Y'all need to listen to Almodux and get your ears cleaned so you can see.

Vince

Pluribus
March 30, 2017, 08:44
WTF is wrong with the Lee Navy? I am building one with a carbon fiber stock, collapsible A1 stock and a mega-super quiet silencer. I added a gas block so it is now a full auto semi. I'm going to paint is like ol' dixie. Why, I remember my wife in Tennessee saying "Virgil, if they're quick, they'll say there goes the Robert E. Lee." Y'all need to listen to Almodux and get your ears cleaned so you can see.

Vince

Now, if we could all comprehend confusion with equality we'd know what the man wants to say.

It's best he dispose of anything FAL cause you know, it's confusing to communicate with anyone here. Or, hear. Something.