PDA

View Full Version : A2 handgaurds

Bertellione
March 21, 2017, 04:00
Do all A2 hagaurds blow of when tossed or thrown on the ground?
I've shot them for thirty years but tonight dropped one and both handgaurds popped of so I tried my other one and it did the same thing where both handgaurds blew off.

Bertellione
March 21, 2017, 04:04
I've used military parts to build both one is the A2 the other is the Canadian version.

hueyville
March 21, 2017, 05:53
No, are they plastic with metal heat shields or without metal heat shields?

TenTea
March 21, 2017, 06:39
Seems like it would take quite a jolt to overcome the spring holding pressure of the delta ring assembly, assuming the handguards are fitted properly fore and aft.
Heck, I know guys that can't remove them without employing the buddy system or the armorer's delta ring tool.

Bertellione
March 21, 2017, 06:43
They are original both colt or other military made not aftermarket, with heat shield for both just dropping on a waste high level on a hard surface they come apart. They are tight and shoot great but after dropping one I tested the other and both blew apart

W.E.G.
March 21, 2017, 06:50
Since you ran an experiment after the first surprise, why no video of the experiment?

Bertellione
March 21, 2017, 06:55
Seems like it would take quite a jolt to overcome the spring holding pressure of the delta ring assembly, assuming the handguards are fitted properly fore and aft.
Heck, I know guys that can't remove them without employing the buddy system or the armorer's delta ring tool.

Ya I grew up shooting them and how to build them for personal use. I've never dropped one on a hard surface until last night. I don't need the buddy system to take them off. One set is used the other is NOS.

hueyville
March 21, 2017, 07:19
Have dropped more than one AR 15 in my day. Most often one shifts in truck, open passenger door and SPLAT, falls out of truck and hits the pavement. Never had handguards fall off. Unless front end cap is sprung, usually a full on fight to get Delta Ring pulled back enough to get first side off. Second side is easy after get first off. Are these factory builds or parts guns? Milspec front caps or PSA/similar bargain bin parts. Purchased two end caps from a vendor had never bought any parts from in a big lot. Both end caps bent and we're sprung beyond use trying to install hanguards. Best guess is were stamped from crappy recycled chinese scrap metal sheets. Both just bent while had pressure on handguard and trying to pull slip ring back. Even worse were on 14.7" barrels and had already pinned muzzle device. Had to unbuild upper to replace both end caps. Never used that vendor again. Even their single point sling adapter end plates bent under minimum strain, don't think the company survived the 2015 parts glut but sure plenty of similar parts are wandering around fleabay and other places. Check your end caps for spring in them.

Bertellione
March 21, 2017, 07:44
One end cap is Colt the other is FN both NOS along with the barrels and cage numbers match perfect. I sent an e mail to WEG with my email to send a video but this time only one came apart at waist high.

Pluribus
March 21, 2017, 08:17
E/I

I have an answer that is highly probable and likely but, it could be mis-construed as confrontational, not just humorously entertaining and, informative.

:wink:

:smile:

TenTea
March 21, 2017, 08:28
E/I

I have an answer that is highly probable and likely but, it could be mis-construed as confrontational, not just humorously entertaining and, informative.

:smile:

Lemme guess: Avoid dropping your rifle from waist height, onto concrete, if at all possible? :wink:

Pluribus
March 21, 2017, 08:50
Lemme guess: Avoid dropping your rifle from waist height, onto concrete, if at all possible? :wink:

That's a start as well as don't throw it down but, no. You already mentioned the likely thing. Springs do fail on good rifles and crap rifles. Isn't it obvious?

:shades:

It's up to the reader to extol the greatness of the design. If it is or, isn't that is as I've become ambivalent to the tools in the tool box.

:whistling: :smile:

Hebrew Battle Rifle
March 22, 2017, 21:52
I think that it was a fluke. Set up a video camera and record yourself tossing the rifle at least 10 times and see if the HGs pop off each time or at random intervals. Post video here.

TerryN
March 22, 2017, 22:54
That's not a common problem with the plethora of M16A2s in service, to the best of my knowledge. The only people who can farck up stuff more easily than soljers are Marines, and I'm not aware of it being a problem for them, either.

ftierson
March 23, 2017, 09:53
That's not a common problem with the plethora of M16A2s in service, to the best of my knowledge. The only people who can farck up stuff more easily than soljers are Marines, and I'm not aware of it being a problem for them, either.

:)

Forrest

mikeuniform
March 23, 2017, 10:26
If you don't need the buddy system to take them off, maybe it's time to replace the spring.
I need pliers to get mine off.
Before people start freaking out, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoHJ3ziovww

TenTea
March 23, 2017, 11:50
If you don't need the buddy system to take them off, maybe it's time to replace the spring.
I need pliers to get mine off.
Before people start freaking out, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoHJ3ziovww

Plastidip to the rescue.

http://www.firequest.com/media/products/FQ365.jpg

BC
March 23, 2017, 21:13
I had to buy the tool as shown in the above picture. I tried very hard to avoid spending the $10 or $15 bucks, but the handguards simply didn't want to come off without the tool.

March 23, 2017, 23:10
real men don't use that geh tool. the olde m16 triangular handguards could be slapped off during rifle inspections but i've never seen a2's pop off. just wrap it with tape - problem solved.

GDavis
March 24, 2017, 09:49
Real men like to do it the hard way (my wife is always telling me that). All my AR handguards are real hard to get off- so I eventually bought the tool.