PDA

View Full Version : Palmetto CHF barrel

oleblu72
March 14, 2017, 17:30
I'm guessing this isn't a hammer forged barrel. It doesn't say anything about machine gun steel anywhere in the description what do you guys think?

Mark

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-chf-carbine-length-5-56-nato-1-7-m4-nitride-barrel-m4-ext-516444714.html

kev
March 14, 2017, 18:41
You don't think it's hammer forged even tho it states that it's hammer forged? Any other stated spec that you question? Do you often catch PSA lying about such things? Seriously wondering,......my understanding is that CHF means cold hammer forged.

oleblu72
March 14, 2017, 18:51
You don't think it's hammer forged even tho it states that it's hammer forged? Any other stated spec that you question? Do you often catch PSA lying about such things? Seriously wondering,......my understanding is that CHF means cold hammer forged.

Well that's my understanding Kev but look at the description of the 18" CHF barrel it says that it is hammer forged and it doesn't state that its made in the U.S.A. like the above 16".

Mark

JonnyP
March 14, 2017, 18:51
It's going to be Cold Hammer Forged, now whether it's an FN sourced barrel, I don't know. I'm also not aware of PSA sourcing CHF barrels from anybody else, but who knows.

It's a f-ing good deal though, think I'll order one!

Trypcil
March 14, 2017, 19:11
Probably is hammer forged, as it says CHF, and is likely FN - though probably not chromed! Why not give PSA., a call and ask!

lysanderxiii
March 14, 2017, 20:29
Probably is hammer forged, as it says CHF, and is likely FN - though probably not chromed! Why not give PSA., a call and ask!
My guess is that it is nitride treated...

And no, it is not "machine gun steel" it is most likely Chrome Moly Steel.

Yes, it does state that it is made in the USA....

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-1...516444714.html (from your link):
PSA 16" CHF M4 Carbine 5.56 NATO 1/7 Nitride Barrel - 516444714

16" Barrel Length

4150V Chrome Moly Steel

Carbine-Length Gas System

M4 Profile (uses .750 diameter gas block)

5.56 NATO Chamber

1 in 7" Barrel Twist

Nitride Barrel Finish

M4 Barrel Extension

Made in the USA

Roll mark "5.56 NATO 1/7 CHF PSA"

Pluribus
March 14, 2017, 20:35
I have a 20" HB PSA stamped barrel with CHF mark 1-9 nitride Made in USA bought about three months ago.

TerryN
March 15, 2017, 04:17
"4150V Chrome Moly Steel"

4150 is the steel specced for machine gun barrels; has been since WWII, at least.

hueyville
March 15, 2017, 06:15
Says CHF as in cold hammer forged and "Made in USA" and under a c-note. Purchased two and two of their $49 blem uppers with T Marks along with pair of nickle boron bolt carrier groups. $250 for an almost complete upper with good parts once square the uppers. Lowers are continuing to drop and holding off till under $50 again and will start adding again. Someday this has to slow down as too many manufacturers have to be running on ragged edge of profitability and when a few file bankruptcy the rest will normalize prices.