PDA

View Full Version : G3 builder recommendation!

sbl11
March 13, 2017, 22:49
Ghilliebear(Jeff Walters of Parabellum Combat Systems) recently did a few builds for my father. The work he does is unbelievable.

I helped my dad find a buyer for his G3 kits and while the first experience was less than perfect( parts waited without any work for 9 months before being sent back and told they weren't usable), I found my father Jeff. now, I have recently gone home to see my family, and when doing so, I also got to take a look at his work first hand. Excellent, dare I say the best rifles anyone could ask for given the less than ideal parts. Jeff will attest to the fact to that these kits were essentially "dead", and that other than the trunions and barrels, the parts were nearly impossible to bring back to life.

http://imageshack.com/i/pn3O8Em2j

Jeff also did a special finish on my rifles so that they would be more true to the early FMP factory look, while preserving the small parts and internals. The intent of these builds is to eventually have a battlefield pick up look, so the wear process will begin on one of them.

I would not hesitate if you have the desire to have as close to the real G3 look as you can get!

Sbl

Klaus Von Richter
March 14, 2017, 04:39
They look real nice. What was so bad about your kits?

Thorack
March 14, 2017, 09:19
Yeah,

Im glad you like his work and it worked out for you. Gunplumber built my G3A3 clone from one of the NOS FMP kits SARCO was selling 10 or so years ago and a PTR receiver. Looks the Tits.

Ghilliebear on the phone was not taking any kits at the time unless they had all the 922r parts. GP was less drama and worked with me on the parts.

Thorack

Super B
May 01, 2017, 23:34
I have used Arizona Response systems and AZEX to build rifles for me. Both are top notch.

sbl11
May 03, 2017, 11:04
I wouldn't hesitate with going with Jeff again!

Sbl

John Crusher
May 04, 2017, 20:54
I had Jeff do me a couple of builds maybe 12-15 years ago. I have sold them all but the friends who own them love them ! Glad he's still active. I'd buy them back in a heartbeat, but they won't sell them back ! Dammit !

K.O.A.M.
May 26, 2017, 09:34
I had Gunplumber build me a G3 clone on a Portuguese parts kit with a PTR receiver. It came out better than some of the factory H&K guns. I have had Jayson at IGF install paddle releases and refinish others for me. He does nice work as well.

saigamantx
May 29, 2017, 18:44
I see Rhodesian parts on one of those guns.

sbl11
May 30, 2017, 16:10
I suspect that all of the Burt stocks and the 2 handguards with holes drilled in them are Rhodesian/South African. Only one gun actually has RA numbers on the bolt carrier! And you are right a complete stock set is original Rhodesian paint.

gunplumber
May 30, 2017, 18:40
Ghilliebear on the phone was not taking any kits at the time unless they had all the 922r parts. GP was less drama and worked with me on the parts.

If I supply the receiver and build a rifle for purpose of resale, I am the manufacturer and am obligated to insure it complies with 922. I also must pay 11% Federal Excise Tax on the manufacture with quarterly filing. It's a pin in the ass, and one of the reasons I no longer build for resale. Even if I sell the parts kits AND receiver unbuilt, ATF has determined it is still subject to FET. That's why DSA started A&D Global to sell the parts kits, while DSA sold the receivers. A legal separation - no FET due.

Customer supplies the receiver and parts, the customer is the manufacturer. Not for purpose of resale, no excise tax applies. I am just a gunsmith. 922 obligation falls on him. While I encourage everyone to comply with 922, I am not the US parts police and I have no duty to count, nor to inquire as to the provenance of the customer's magazine, etc.

It seems odd to me that Ghilliebear doesn't understand that - if he thinks he's the manufacturer, then he needs to be paying FET to T&TB on each one. Also why I don't build on flats or 80% - I can't complete it without being the manufacturer, since it wasn't a "firearm or receiver thereof" when I started.

partisan50
May 31, 2017, 08:06
Customer supplies the receiver and parts, the customer is the manufacturer. Not for purpose of resale, no excise tax applies. I am just a gunsmith. 922 obligation falls on him.

I have always wanted a 51K, 5.3" barrel, and keep thinking of building one. Who do you recommend for a receiver and who to avoid?

Would you be interested in installing the barrel, trunion and cocking tube stuff if I was going to move on a build? It would be built as a pistol, later on I will SBR it when they catch up from all of the post 41P/F paperwork filters out.

gunplumber
May 31, 2017, 08:28
I do factory spec G3 & G3k, and my 91k hybrid.
I do not do 51s or any other non-standard configuration.

I'm not accepting any new HK or AK work at this time - Just lots and lots of FALs. I am referring any HK stuff to Jayson at IGF.

The only complete receiver I use is the PTR and they have all been fine. So I have no interest in trying something different as I fail to see where there would be a gain.

Lon Moer
June 10, 2017, 21:58
Ghilliebear flat out told me he did not want to do my upper build - Malaysian G-33, RCM barrel and SW-93 receiver.

Jayson at IGF (http://www.investmentgradefirearms.com/) did a great job with no issues or questions.

http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp112/Lon_Moer/DSCN0157_zps595b5fa1.jpg