PDA

View Full Version : Re: Century L1A1 Receiver: Feeding Probs.

larphred
June 10, 2002, 18:24
Have been having problems chambering rounds from the magazine. There seems to be a pronounced shelf where the barrel meets the receiver. This shelf impedes the chambering of rounds from the right side of the magazine. Rounds chambered from the left side are lined up and are efficiently chambered. But rounds from the right side of the magazine frequently hit the breech face of the barrel and are prevented from being chambered. I've polished the feed ramp area to no avail. I experience failure to feed about every 8-10 rounds....sometimes the bullet is shoved into the brass cartridge. I'm wondering if there might be a problem using US made follower--not pointing projectile into correct position. There seems to be a bit more of a ledge at the breech end of the barrel that the bullet has to overcome. I thought of smoothing the ledge out with JB weld to make a smoother transition but thought it would eventually come loose. Any suggestions?

FP1201
June 10, 2002, 20:58
larphred,
you and I must be working on the exact same rifle. { Aussi. kit/CIA reciever} because of the same problems....
I just recieved a couple of inch mags, stuffed three rounds in, and let the bolt fly forward only to slam into the breech area = FTF.
Cleared that round, next one the same thing, third went in the chamber....cleared and put the weapon away...haven't had time to get back to it, but i'm ready to condemm it to "another problem" to be fixed. Will keep checking for posts, suggesting what to do, oter than sh!t canning the whole thing. 1st and last CIA reciever.:confused:

larphred
June 10, 2002, 21:05
FP--my only encouragement is that it feeds freely when the round is coming from the left side of the magazine--only problem is feeding from the right side. I think I'll try a whole bunch of mags and see if there are differences.

MM in NM
June 10, 2002, 21:29
Try cleaning up the inside and bottom of the receiver rails with fine sandpaper. I first used 220 and then 400.
While the mag feed lips have a lot to do with it it seems like these receivers rails are often sharp and rough so the round can't smoothly feed right by rolling up into the chamber.

semiauto45
October 28, 2002, 03:06
Fellas, I am new to FALFILES forums, but this is the same thing that is happening to my DSA SA58 and why I started looking for info...which led me here. Mine too seems to catch on the left side.

HD99FXR3
October 28, 2002, 09:51
did you buy the rifle new? if so call DSA and let them fix it. if not try different mags then if that don't work it's probably WECSOG time. use the seach function. button under ad at top right of page and enter FTF for threads pertaining to your problem. but in essence you must massage the areas where the bullit nose is hitting into a polished transition from mag to chamber.

withergyld
October 28, 2002, 10:16
I have a Century I built that did the same thing. The nose of the bullet was going over the feed ramp and hitting the flat part of the breech face. (It did not make it to the concave portion of the barrel face). I slightly filed the concave portion near the right hand feed rail to reduce the flat spot that the bullet was hitting. I was careful only to "break" the outer edge and not the inner edge by the chamber. This has fixed the problem. I have fired 300 to 400 rnds with no further problems.

hercdriver
October 28, 2002, 10:48
I also noticed my M444 will smash the bullet nose feeding from the right side; hitting the barrel face after glancing off of the feed ramp. It looks like a basic design error to me. The feed ramp doesn't deflect the bullet tip into the chamber correctly.

Some polishing of the feed rails, magazine lips, feed ramp, bottom of the front of the bolt, and bottom edge of the extractor piece seemed to help. Slight reshaping of the magazine sheetmetal may help. I don't have the tools to allow for reshaping the back of the barrel.

G3isMe
October 31, 2002, 01:49
I was/am having the same feeding problem with an Inch Pattern Century receiver and inch magazines. I don't know if you were having the problem when using inch mags but I found that it only happened when I used the inch mags. I went with metric mags and they fit okay in the Century, but they do feed great and I haven't had a problem since. Try a metric mag and see what happens.

Deltaten
October 31, 2002, 19:58
Out-of-spec feed ramp geometry!

Have a Hesse /CIA that USED to do this!. PITA!

End up welding blobs of metal to the FR area, and re-grinding. Could be that the drunken monkeys over cut the rcvr by a few 10's of thousandths, but Noooooo.....
Now works like a champ. Seems the RH side feeds from farther out. The bullet hits the ramps higher and "wider" than the LH side (offset some?) I have just the smallest FR area left in the ground "blob" of weld, fortunately, in exactly the right spot! Add the proper mag 'beak" shelf height, and a welded up catch; good to go. No shake-rattle-n-roll in the mag well anymore.

Best,
Paul