PDA

View Full Version : Longbranch No.4 Mk.1* price check

lostmybearing
March 11, 2017, 10:08
I have a friends' Longbranch No4 Mk1* (1942) that I'm trying to asses the value of . It is in what I would call average surplus condition. It is in original condition other than it has a S&K scope mount with a 4 power Burris where the rear sight goes. What do y'all think it's worth?

gew98
March 11, 2017, 11:49
To have collector value it would have to have unsanded original Long branch wood , matching bolt and not FTR'd. You are already missing the rear sight and it's pins & springs . Thats about $40 or so in parts. I gave $175 for a south african No4 a year or two ago. It was import marked , complete matched , unsanded wood , flat mint in and out. Had the goober Sq D scope mount. Ditched the scope mount and acquired the proper rear sight bits. Not knowing if any original finishes on metal and wood , and bore condition , matching bolt ? it's a guess.

lostmybearing
March 11, 2017, 12:01
Thanks for the reply! Where are the numbers on the bolt? I do not see anything that I would consider a number on it. Ill work on some pics.

mitchellh
March 11, 2017, 14:04
Nothing on the rear of the bolt handle?

http://i66.tinypic.com/28b5f1v.jpg

lostmybearing
March 12, 2017, 11:57
Thanks! I did find the number. Unfortunately, it does not match.:sad:

hkshooter
March 12, 2017, 22:57
Thanks! I did find the number. Unfortunately, it does not match.:sad:

Don't fret, it's still a nice rifle and it's more uncommon to have a matched bolt than not. As long as it's head spaced right it'll be a superb shooter. My No.I MKIII matched but it was so worn and sloppy it had to be replaced with a NOS part to be safe and reliable.