PDA

View Full Version : L1A1 Conversion/Build Questions

CTG
March 10, 2017, 03:04
Hello, all.

I recently acquired an L1A1, and was hoping to get some answers on a build I'd like to do. Something basically like this. I intend to swap in a new barrel, keeping the original until I get bored, find some blonde furniture and switch it back.

-What is the barrel length on this example?
-What is the muzzle device?
-I know someone who will swap barrels for me, but what sort of modifications would be necessary to allow for reliable cycling with the shorter barrel?
-What sort of modifications to the furniture would be required to allow it to fit?

I don't intend to do anything that isn't 100% reversible, don't worry.

http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o535/Luman77/IMG_5698_zpsm2inkqyf.jpg

Vulcanator
March 10, 2017, 08:58
Looks like you have an Izzy which is a metric rifle. The receiver and lowers are different specs. Your barrel appears non standard. You can covert it to a full size metric rifle, but not an authentic L1A1.

CTG
March 10, 2017, 12:25
Looks like you have an Izzy which is a metric rifle. The receiver and lowers are different specs. Your barrel appears non standard. You can covert it to a full size metric rifle, but not an authentic L1A1.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I HAVE an authentic L1A1, but I'd like to make it look like the Izzy in the image I posted.

DakTo
March 10, 2017, 13:10
"I don't intend to do anything that isn't 100% reversible, don't worry."

Best do a little more research before thinking that way.
You will need a metric lower, high rear sight, butt stock and pistol grip. You cannot effectively use a metric magazine which may fall out.
The new barrel will require a metric gas block/front sight, perhaps gas tube and piston.

Your L1A1 is a restricted firearm and I suggest you leave it that way.

CTG
March 10, 2017, 13:57
"I don't intend to do anything that isn't 100% reversible, don't worry."

Best do a little more research before thinking that way.
You will need a metric lower, high rear sight, butt stock and pistol grip. You cannot effectively use a metric magazine which may fall out.
The new barrel will require a metric gas block/front sight, perhaps gas tube and piston.

Your L1A1 is a restricted firearm and I suggest you leave it that way.

Prohib, actually.

I don't intend to do a full Izzy build, basically I'm just gonna swap in the handguard and a different stock and a new barrel. It doesn't have to be entirely accurate, it's just for fun. I'm just curious what length of barrel that is in the Izzy I posted, and wonder if anyone recognizes the muzzle device.

Eventually I'll be bored of it and switch it back, maybe either try and find some golden blonde furniture or do a C1 build or something. But for now, I'm gonna do such a build.