PDA

View Full Version : O.T. My M1 pick up a new round

Stoney
June 10, 2002, 16:50
Is there a site like this one where I can get some good info? Or does someone here know what I can do? I lubed it and checked the gas port, it will cycle, but wont come back far enough to pick up a new round. It will work OK by hand.:confused:

Deltaten
June 10, 2002, 17:28
Stoney:

Try Jen's other board, www.servicerifles.com

Still a little new, but ya never know!

Best,
Paul

Deltaten
June 10, 2002, 17:36
Stoney:

Try Jen's other board, www.servicerifles.com

Still a little new, but ya never know!

Best,
Paul

GSF1200
June 10, 2002, 18:51
Check to make sure it's assembled correctly, seems I remember this happened to me years ago. Don't recall exactly what it was. Has the gun worked before? If not, then it may be something more serious, like a bent op rod or something.

nvcdl
June 10, 2002, 20:22
Make sure you have the front handguard pushed back and the gas system lined up. Last one I assembled has same symptons until I got everything properly installed. You migh also run a drill bit thru gas port to make sure it wasn't obstructed if refinished.

June 10, 2002, 20:35
Check to make sure it is assembled correctly. Make sure the gas cylinder is on the right part of the barrel, so that the gas ports line up.

Also check the gas plug. There is a relief valve on many of them and that valve will often get stuck open from rust, dirt, etc. The front of the gas plug has a cross shaped opening. The relief valve is inside that opening. You can push it in with a punch or screwdriver. If it is partially open, that will bleed off your gas and the rifle will not have enough to cycle.

You can also check the op rod for wear. The gas piston portion of the op rod will cause cycling problems if well worn.

Good luck :)

FP1201
June 10, 2002, 20:37
Try this web site: www.jouster.com
Go to the M1 Garand fourm (very easy to find) There are many knowledgeable people posting there, who can easily answer your questions. It's just like this forum. Glenn:D

Stoney
June 10, 2002, 23:56
Thanks