PDA

View Full Version : 6.8 BCG $59.99

oleblu72
March 08, 2017, 19:03
This time I didn't miss out got me 5.

Mark

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-6-8-full-auto-bolt-carrier-group.html?trk_msg=38BG93IU1GJ4FFA6JRPLKRG56K&trk_contact=NU41IKRJBOKKTRTDK2C0H8CV9O&trk_sid=A8V0T2BNVJNSKHN3EBJ6Q4EQPC&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=http%3a%2f%2fpalmettostatearmory.com%2fps a-6-8-full-auto-bolt-carrier-group.html&utm_campaign=Daily+Deal+Email&utm_content=5%3a00+Email

HankC
March 08, 2017, 20:34
Ordered mine! I don't even have a 6.8 yet. Now I need to find a cheap 6.8 upper.

hueyville
March 09, 2017, 02:26
Out of stock already. Ordered two last sale and three earlier today. Had two on bench for barrels just came in so been chasing more barrels past few hours since got home from Stimpy's. One nice dude, have question says bring it by. FAL that is, not AR... Was second guessing buying just three so if come back in stock at that price getting more.

oleblu72
March 09, 2017, 13:16
Out of stock already. Ordered two last sale and three earlier today. Had two on bench for barrels just came in so been chasing more barrels past few hours since got home from Stimpy's. One nice dude, have question says bring it by. FAL that is, not AR... Was second guessing buying just three so if come back in stock at that price getting more.

I think this about $30 cheaper than the last time around Isn't it Huey?

Mark

hueyville
March 10, 2017, 02:03
They were $89 last time, bought two sets, so $30 cheaper & why bought three. Came close to buying a six pack but since receivers are in stock the more bolts carrier groups have then more barrels will buy that leads to small parts ending in optics and mounts. Am in double digits of 6.8's now and doing goofy stuff like buying a set of 16" barrels in 1:11, 1:10, 1:9 and 1:7 twist to experiment with light and fast bullets plus heavy bullets at subsonic velocity. 6.8's are generally 1:11 followed by 1:10 twist and are reputed to seldom shoot bullets heavier than 120 grains well. Especially big heavies at subsonic speeds.

Purchased a 190 grain, 210 grain and 247 grain bullet mold and goal is to see if can run a heavy cast bullet at 1,050 f.p.s. if get the 247 grain bullets spun up and stabile then will be out horsepowering a 45 acp bullet. Ability to snap in a magazine of heavies that will put good hits on objects to 75 yards would be nice since usually running a can. From research believe to 1:7 which is sold as a subsonic solution and maybe even the 1:9 will spin up cast bullets nicely, cycle action and can swap on the fly if need. Don't know how a 90 grain bonded at full speed will react in a 1:7 twist, might spin drift off the planet.

Have a book done by Navy for naval gunfire calculations (uses 308 rifle examples a lot) that say a heavier and slower projectile is less succeptible to spin drift. Once a projectile goes transonic/supersonic spin drift increases exponentially as weight is reduced and velocity increased. Usually don't see real spin drift and "Coriolis effect"problems until reach distances beyond 600 to 1,000 yards. But "Poisson effect" (nose of projectile above trajectory) and "Magnus effect" (spinning effect of projectile creating whirlpool of air which where velocity enhanced on side projectile is rotating increasing velocity and velocity decreased on opposite side, motions are opposed and have unbalanced force at a right angle) then longer projectiles experience more spin drift and our long heavy bullets are generally used at long range or low velocities. A standard 308 ball round will see 1 to 2 cemtimeters of spin drift at 500 meters. Coriolis effect can move the same 308 bullet 6 centimeters at 900 meters. All these effects of physics are happening differently on projectile based on velocity, length of projectile, rate of spin, time in flight and it's not a smooth sliding scale where can say for a given object it will move "x" centimeters at "y" distance as each effect of physics is calculated by different formulas and the location on plant based on distance from equator or poles, direction of shot (north/south shots behave differently than east/west), elevation or distance from center of planet changes each effect also.

This is why I believe we have seen these sudden jumps of 1,000 to 1,500 meter sniper shots being the extreme edge of attainable to 1 to 1.5 mile shots being made. While equipment has improved, the ability to calculate spin drift, Coriolis effect, Poisson effect and Magnus effect along with others can all be done on a tabet device with proper algorithms and tied to GPS to give spotter an accurate calculation on how far and what direction bullet is going to move based on physics and aerodynamics and then plugged into wind and range estimation to give a good firing solution quickly which spotter corrects with a single round if first misses. This is why a couple of my rifles have a holder for a small PDA sized device with GPS and can enter my wind and range for those 600 yard coyotes and ground hogs and on occasion bust their @$$ like a bolt of lightning from a blue sky day. Have purchased dozens of apps which all have downfalls as programmer is not always a ballistician and leaves out some of the odder physical effects on a bullet in flight. Best one using now was written by a Russian guy (go figure) and was not cheap. But have to profile every rifle with length of barrel, rate of twist but none allow for type of rifling such as 5R, button, cut, etc which I know has to have an effect. Then have to enter each load including caliber, ballistic coefficient, length of projectile and velocity. Standard deviation from shot to shot can be huge out at 800 meters as well as temperature effect on powder as some are less temperature tolerant than others.

My best ballistics app takes a few days to set up a new rifle and loads. Don't always chronograph every load so go with info from charts or manufacturer adjusting for length of their test barrel to my barrel which charts don't give true accurate difference but the effort to set up each rifle and load can suck up most of your trigger time so shortcuts are taken with commercial apps by geeks like myself. Gone way beyond a wind and range estimation for doping a shot. Cannot imagine the shot calculators DARPA has engineered for field use by the best long range snipers. Bet they can select rifle amd load from drop down, once spotter enters wind and range some supercomputer in Virginia spits back a firing solution via satellite in microseconds. Has to be why sudden jump from yards to miles for sniper shots as rifles and bullets have improved but not that much. Think overall understanding of exterior effects of ballistics and physics has changed the game tremendously. Know my shooting app has more than doubled my first round hit probability at long distances as much as laser range finders and anemometers did when introduced and improved.

Yes Segway from 6.8 bolt topic but ability to buy so many bolts and barrels and twist up new testbed rifles quickly has really changed the way I murder ground hogs and coyote. The vermin are overunning us and less people shooting them so those that do need to make shots count. Won't have to do all this for zombies as from movies it appears they just stagger closer and closer till inside my point blank range and can just turn them into puddles of goo. With my 6XC AR10's out at 800 yards and beyond its amazing how much conflict there is between a ballistics app and wind/distance chart. Can be half a foot or more. If shoot small vermin from long distances and not letting computing power of ballistic apps help you suggest giving them a try. Also having 16", 18" and 20" Wylde chamber rifles each in 1:7, 1:8 and 1:9 is plain amazing how different they shoot. The poodle shooter glut and physics has allowed me opportunity to learn more about ballistics than anything else in lifetime. Also why an 18" 1:7 5.56 Wylde is my favorite all around rifle now for smallvermin but 6.8 for bigger vermin. Can't wait to stretch out the 22 Nosler though all the research have done says 243 Ackley Improved is still one of the most consistant and predictable flight paths available. 6XC is close but not quite there but can roll myself in an AR 10. Believe the 22-250 Ackley Improved custom turn bolt is going in truck tomorrow as ground hog season is beginning in earnest.

HankC
March 10, 2017, 15:53
Anyone knows what is the bolt material? The spec does not say. I bought mine but I now wonder if they have the right steel and may break.

hueyville
March 10, 2017, 17:07
Four of eleven 6.8 builds have these exact same groups. Two have been beat on pretty hard with hundreds of rounds up to 120 grain bullets. Everyone needs a spare bolt anyway. What I have been doing is adding one Superbolt to all of my ARP orders. As they filter in put in rifle with standard bolt and put the Palmetto back as my spare. All my premiums and nickle will likely run as shipped till break, if that happens. Would expect these to go a couple of thousand rounds before have to worry any though. Superbolt is way to go if you can afford it in 6.8 but not mandatory. The ones I bought a week or so ago at $89 are a different part number so may be the premiums which don't show up on their website anymore. The nickle boron bolts are not listed either. Only one magazine choice left. Looks like they are dumping 6.8 from inventory but two barrels have left are still high. Used to have six to eight barrel choices.

oleblu72
March 10, 2017, 19:20
It has their company logo on the BCG I think that usually means that it is a premium BCG doesn't it?

Mark

hueyville
March 11, 2017, 17:37
It has their company logo on the BCG I think that usually means that it is a premium BCG doesn't it?

Mark

Used to but always would say shot peened Carpenter 158 HPT/MPI on premium sets. These $59 units did not say that. The $89 units two weeks ago did have that and part number on the ones received is different than part number on the $59 units purchased this week. At $59 don't really care. If get more going to dig deep and buy another half dozen as no finding lots of low round count premium used barrels for sale online. Bought three used barrels off the 68forums user group last week with under 50 total round count, under 100 total round count and under 200 total round count as people who don't reload are abandoning due to ammo availability and cost. Only costs $31 for stripped Superbolt and $36 for nickle boron.

We have taken the current AR15 bolt to the next level by redesigning the lug and cam pin area as well*using a stronger 9310 Vac-ARC alloy to make this the most* durable bolt on the market except our 750XD series bolts.**Notice the thicker web between the recess and the lugs and the larger radius at the root of the lugs.

Have to install extractor but that's easy enough and like knowing what spring is under it and what extractor is in it also. Pins and rings don't cost that much either so your $40 into a really good bolt and the Palmetto becomes a complete spare.

For anyone that reloads, if can score a few deals on brass then it's a perfect cartridge for hunting mid to large size game and two legged critters. 90 grain bonded and 110 grain tipped bullets hit like 2,000 pound bomb. Found a source just sold me another 1,000 once fired cases and has said will be getting more from law enforcement ranges. Has given me hope to get once fired in the dime per case range opposed to 75 cents for new SSA brand. Managed to get 12,500 pull down primed cases ran through sizing die to make sure shoulder had proper setback and neck properly sized then a good size order of loaded white box milspec 90 grain ammo. Now it's a matter of getting enough brass to support all the builds. Have a good working cast gas check bullet that has my cost per round way down.

oleblu72
March 14, 2017, 12:59
Received my 6.8 BCG yesterday and they are not marked with the Palmetto logo like the add pictured but you still can't beat the deal.

Mark

hueyville
March 15, 2017, 06:41
Got two shipments, all but one had logo. My guess is they ran out while filling my box. When putting in receiver parts vault counted a total of seven 6.8 BCG's and two Superbolts. Have two builds in progress and two barrels behind those. Just cut a deal locally for a complete 18" ARP barrel on squared Aero upper with ARP Superbolt in nickle boron carrier, free float handguard, muzzle brake and more for $450. Under 50 rounds and looked better than new while cheaper than can source said parts. About to cross the dozen count on completed 6.8's and found a source for once fired brass in quantity at a dime per case. Will be sitting fat in six-eights if God leaves me on planet. Have discovered my upper tier 18" and 20" builds shoot way faster and flatter than expected. Under 14.7" and velocity falls off fast, not a pistol building cartridge IMHO. Have half dozen that all shoot under 1 MOA already and one that's solid 1/2" at 100 with high power glass. Using lower power optics on most but as fill in more 18" and 20" builds going to see how accurate can get.

oleblu72
March 15, 2017, 14:45
Yeah ARP's out of Superbolts again.

Mark

hueyville
March 15, 2017, 19:47
Yeah ARP's out of Superbolts again.

Mark

Whenever they get anything in, word gets out fast and dissapear. You can buy a JP for $135 with proprietary dual extractor spring setup or LWRC for $150. Makes the $68 Superbolt seem like good option. The $59 Palmetto BCG's got posted at 68forums and folks were hopping to get orders in. Noticed again it's the only 6.8 BCG they show listed and is still out of stock. At one time they had five different 6.8 BCG options. Only list two barrels and had 6.8 marked dust covers on clearance the other day. My guess is they will drop it totally. Hoping they clearance their 18" light profile barrels. They are hand lapped would guess are decent barrels. Don't list a weight but profile design would have to be lighter than many othes.

All my 18's are heavy profile with one being 0.998" from barrel extension to front of gas block shoulder and 0.750" for next two inches then drops to 0.725" to muzzle with 11 degree target crown and weighs 42 ounces. My 20 inch barrel is 42 ounces as well. If run any of them dry will make good clubs. Picked up a complete KAK pistol buffer assembly with Slash Heavy Buffer for $20 out the door. Had less than 100 rounds when owner swapped to rifle configuration. Scored a SIG Brace for another $40. Not an AR pistol guy but planning a 6.8 subsonic build and since velocity drop that is significant at any length under 12.5" is no deal if going to set a 1,050 fps speed limit. Have a paid for 16" 1:7 twist subsonic barrel in pile but with kit purchased this morning have an 11.5" Bison 1:7 barrel and 400 of their 200 grain subsonic bullets in cart now and waffling on punching buy button. Stick a can on it and would be a heck of a house clearing or handy truck gun.

This 6.8 addiction is starting to hurt but when they bark people notice it's not your standard poodle shooter. Put a PRI muzzle brake on the 22 Nosler build yesterday with the extra holes that are supposed eleminate muzzle climb to right and bet the over bore cartridge with a brake is going to back some folks at the range away from firing line. Never found a brake necessary on 5.56 but had this and figured would try on the big 22.

oleblu72
March 16, 2017, 02:55
Whenever they get anything in, word gets out fast and dissapear. You can buy a JP for $135 with proprietary dual extractor spring setup or LWRC for $150. Makes the $68 Superbolt seem like good option. The $59 Palmetto BCG's got posted at 68forums and folks were hopping to get orders in. Noticed again it's the only 6.8 BCG they show listed and is still out of stock. At one time they had five different 6.8 BCG options. Only list two barrels and had 6.8 marked dust covers on clearance the other day. My guess is they will drop it totally. Hoping they clearance their 18" light profile barrels. They are hand lapped would guess are decent barrels. Don't list a weight but profile design would have to be lighter than many othes.

All my 18's are heavy profile with one being 0.998" from barrel extension to front of gas block shoulder and 0.750" for next two inches then drops to 0.725" to muzzle with 11 degree target crown and weighs 42 ounces. My 20 inch barrel is 42 ounces as well. If run any of them dry will make good clubs. Picked up a complete KAK pistol buffer assembly with Slash Heavy Buffer for $20 out the door. Had less than 100 rounds when owner swapped to rifle configuration. Scored a SIG Brace for another $40. Not an AR pistol guy but planning a 6.8 subsonic build and since velocity drop that is significant at any length under 12.5" is no deal if going to set a 1,050 fps speed limit. Have a paid for 16" 1:7 twist subsonic barrel in pile but with kit purchased this morning have an 11.5" Bison 1:7 barrel and 400 of their 200 grain subsonic bullets in cart now and waffling on punching buy button. Stick a can on it and would be a heck of a house clearing or handy truck gun.

This 6.8 addiction is starting to hurt but when they bark people notice it's not your standard poodle shooter. Put a PRI muzzle brake on the 22 Nosler build yesterday with the extra holes that are supposed eleminate muzzle climb to right and bet the over bore cartridge with a brake is going to back some folks at the range away from firing line. Never found a brake necessary on 5.56 but had this and figured would try on the big 22.

How many Bison barrels do you have Huey do you like them?

Mark

hueyville
March 16, 2017, 10:29
How many Bison barrels do you have Huey do you like them?

Mark

Folks, usenet courtesy from old days would be great when hit quote button on my diatribes. Delete majority of the post, leave enough to convey information am questioning. Sure would save the world a lot of bits and bytes. Example below:

Whenever they get anything in, word gets out fast and dissapear. You can buy a JP for $135 with proprietary dual extractor spring setup or LWRC for $150. Makes the $68 Superbolt seem...
(Trim)
Have a paid for 16" 1:7 twist subsonic barrel in pile but with kit purchased this morning have an 11.5" Bison 1:7 barrel and 400 of their 200 grain subsonic bullets in cart now and waffling on punching buy button. Stick a can on it and would be a heck of a house clearing or handy truck gun.

Have three Bison barrels, what I like is their propensity to offer profiles, twist rates and lengths others don't. That said there is a reason some things are not offered elsewhere, such as short 6.8 pistol barrels. LWRC may have done more research than anyone on this cartridge in poodle shooters. Did not take them long to drop their 8.5" 6.8 barrel. Under 10" and start losing as much as 100 to 200 fps per inch with a 6.8. Thus if looking to shoot full power ammo a shorty 6.8 is poor choice. Personally 11.5" is my personal limit for short AR's so can cycle bolt with enough dwell time of bullet in bore past gas port without severe over gassing by using huge port size regaurdless of cartridge. Under 10.5 may look cool but it's going to chew itself up like pouring sand in the oil of a top fuel dragster, YMMV.

Bisons biggest attraction is they have stuff "in stock" when you want it. Biggest drawback is don't offer melonite finish so if want a hot salt bath finish have to send barrel out when arrives. That said, all of their barrels I own thus far were purchased used over at 68forums or other places. Most advertised as 50 to 200 rounds down bore. Picking up another today hopefully. Believe many drink the kool-aid but if don't reload the availability of ammo sends a lot of 6.8 and 6.5 barrels to the Internet yard sale. Have two of the three built and fired, other is waiting to pick up squared receiver to assemble upper.

The two mounted are their generic line, not Fulcrum or match and hover around 1 MOA or better with my generic reloads using pull down 90 grain Gold Dots. (Purchased 15,000 pull down Gold Dots so that's what shoot 90% of time) Any barrel that will group MOA with a pulled bullet is good stuff. Neither has fired much factory ammo but with the few 110 grain Hornady tipped factory bullets the 18" 1:11 shot a 3/4" five shot group throwing out one operator induced flyer. The 16" 1:11 shot 7/8" at 100 with one shooter induced flyer discounted from five shot group. This is from sand bags filled with lead shot, not my Lead Sled. The 18" Bison and 18" ARP shoot about same group sizes but the ARP barrel is 70 fps faster with same load due to 5R rifling and melonite treatment. Both rifles have my 3.25 pound stock trigger mod, may do better with another shooter and better trigger.

Off Topic
Have the 11.5" 1:7 and a 18" 1:11 Fulcrum barrel in my cart. Can't push button as check into hospital tonight for biopsy of tumor been between my eyes since 2009 tomorrow. Docs found potential cancer elsewhere so getting biopsy of head and my brain (yes they are finally probing my @$$) as elevated PSA from average in 4.x range to 11.x in six months has them worried if cancer is malignant instead of benign as diagnosed in past. If my @$$ which contains my brain, and head that keeps a hat from falling off, turn out false alarm will push buy button on the two in cart. Biopsies bad, may max my cards and just buy a dozen complete builds, 10,000 rounds of match ammo and go for the gusto. If your over 40, go get a baseline PSA. Have three friends that doctors did first prostate exam and PSA at age 50 to discover they were already stage 3 or stage 4 at first test. My primary care's dad died of prostate cancer at age 47 so he either gives you the finger at age 40 or find a new doctor.
Some whine that I whine about my health issues too much. Am not complaining as God has blessed me but if one person learns something from my openness then it was a worthy cause. I managed to rehab and non invasive procedures get my back pain under control, skip three fusions and discontinue Oxycontin use. Have danced with cancer three times and won so fourth does not scare me. Those that pray, would appreciate one, those that wish me dead, stick another pin in your vodoo doll. Fired the orthopod who wanted to amputate my left leg and found one willing to spend 14.5 hours reassembling the thing and good rehab team to help me learn to walk again. Don't take a bad diagnosis and lay down, find a team with some fight and fight the good fight. We have had several non firearms threads about tinnitus where tell my tale of how rid myself of the bother but because some docs say you have to live with it many do. Was almost two years of simple rehab to fix it, no instant McDonald's remidy and why most quit before see results. This trip of dancing with the demons may be my last but can say I fought them and will go to work till am dead. Have a CNC job loaded to push button on Saturday and driver to get me to work to push the button. While CNC runs hope to finish assembling my G1 FAL kit and my other 18" 6.8 AR after church on Sunday.

oleblu72
March 17, 2017, 12:56
Cancer is very nasty disease and I'm sorry to hear that it has picked you to harass . I'm 66 and the Lord has blessed me and as far as I know (other than my Dad dying of Alzheimer's) I believe I'm pretty healthy other than when I get forgetful and I wonder if I'm starting get Alz .

People can always use prayer Huey and I'll be sure to guide some your way good luck.

Mark