PDA

View Full Version : Need research assistance please

gunplumber
June 10, 2002, 16:48
ATF authorises three specific methods of "permanently attaching" a muzzle control device, or a barrel extension (4 tack welds or 180 degree weld, 1100 degree solder, blind pinning). They specifically disallow one (loctite). They also have a written allowance for "other permanent method"

I have received a request to have this in writing, which I assumed would take me about 5 minutes. In fact, after 4 hours of searching my own extensive records and the web, I have been able to produce technology branch or treasury department revenue documents supporting

weld 4 tacks
weld 180 degrees
silver solder 1100 degrees
"other permanent"
no loctite

I can find no reference whatsoever to blind pinning, yet I know this has been an industry standard pactrice long before the 89 import ban or the 94 AW ban - specifically for affixing 5.5" flash hiders to 11.5" AR 15 barrels.

I know I didn't "make up" the blind pinning doctrine. I have seen it written somewhere. If anyone has any documents whatsoever addressing "blind pinning" in any context whatsoever, please forward the applicable documents or reproductions thereof to me.

I am not at liberty to discuss the legal matter for which I have been solicited as an RKI, however speed is of the essence.

Dave1
June 16, 2002, 22:37
Bump for ya:D

ironman0311
June 16, 2002, 22:47
Mark,

My DSA Brakes came with printed methods of ATF approved installation.

1. S/S @ min. of 1100 degrees as you indicated.

2. Blind Pinning. (no specs as to pin size etc.)

Perhaps DSA will chime in and give us more details as to where the B/P Standard came from?

Not much but FWIW ...

Dave1
June 16, 2002, 22:57
Ironman, any way you can scan the paper work in?? If not, can you fax me the atf approved method? I'll scan it and post it.
TIA,
Dave

Mad Dog 7.62
June 17, 2002, 01:57
This came up quite a while back, as to whether the pin had to be welded over, and it seems like idsubgun posted the reg.....I tried to find it by using search, but there are about 40 pages of results for "muzzle brake". Maybe he can find it again?

nczervik
June 17, 2002, 02:00
Mark,
I sent my AR upper to Wilson Combat to have one of their
excellent muzzle brakes installed (post-ban obviously!),using
"blind-pin" method,and it came with a copy of a letter from
ATF "authorizing"this process.I believe that a copy of this letter
(on ATF letterhead)can be downloaded from Wilson Combats
website. www.wilsoncombat.com .Hope that helps.

PCSinc
June 17, 2002, 04:14
I checked Wilson and ATF sites and couldn't find references to blind pinning. Any other ideas?...please post. Thanks.

idsubgun
June 17, 2002, 07:53
I lost all my bookmarked places and tried to find the info on the ATF's webpage (ATF Online (http://www.atf.treas.gov/) ), but haven't found it yet. I do know it's there somewhere, but it's deep into it and I had to really search for it.

This is from James Bardwell's website:

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/atf_letter11.txt

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/atf_letter40.txt

Here is the link to his "letters" page, if anyone has a few hours of time on their hands.
http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/law.html

HTH

nczervik
June 17, 2002, 10:18
Mark & PCSinc,I've got a copy of the letter from BATF mentioned
in my last post.If you need a copy,I could fax it to you,let me
know if I can help!
email:nczervik@hotmail.com with fax info.

jim
June 17, 2002, 10:41
another method (and supposedly in the ratf regs somewhere) is the barrel can be threaded for a brake. the brake installed but a permenant one is not necessary if the threads/brake combo are not one that said rifle would normally come with. as an example the ar15 has a certain thread size. if you were to change the pitch from 24 to 20 (as an example) and use a brake made for that thread. then it would not have to be a permenant attachment as the ar's as well as the brakes/flash hider's do not come standard with the pitch you have on there now. so you can't take an ar flash hider and use it as it will not work.
sounds confusing especially after i just re read what i am posting but this is the way i was told.