PDA

View Full Version : Hammer won't hold back "HELP"

Itchy Finger
June 10, 2002, 11:23
Just finished putting together an Imbel grade 1 from Dan's and a Ibbel receiver from The Warehouse. Barrel timed up nicely, head space seems a wee snug but functions ok. The smallest pin gauge I had was .254 it took a good deal of pressure to lock it up ended up with LS of .249 will not close on a no-go.
Now the problem, after assembly, the gun chambers just fine, ejects just fine. BUTTTT the hammer fails to stay in the locked position, it will pick up a fresh round but the hammer seems to follow the slide forward. NOW if I pull the bolt back part way to catch and lock the hammer we start the process over again.
I haven't replaced the H/T/S yet, parts on the way. Could this be the problem. I'm stumped. I've fiddled with the gas adjustments until the empty wouldn't eject thinking it might slow down the cycle. No luck

Hope I explained enough.
Thanks in advance

Chuck

kotengu
June 10, 2002, 11:52
Dumb question but which position is the selector in? What you describe is exactly what happens with the selector in the FA position on a SA gun........

Falfegnügen
June 10, 2002, 12:00
DON'T shoot it anymore until you get this worked out! you are risking at the least a full-auto-runaway-until-the-mag-is-empty-hope-you-can-hang-on-to-it-until-it-stops discharge. Or, worse, you may get a big KABOOM-bolt-in-your-head-give-me-morphine-pick-up-my-face-parts-and-take-me-to-the-hosptal-for-reattachemnt discharge.

So instead of shooting it, check this:

1. Of course you don't have the selector in the "A" automatic position???

2. with the bolt/carrier/cover out, can you press down the hammer by hand and it stay?

3. If #2 is yes, remove the lower assembly and inspect it's operation while cylcing the Hammer/Trigger/Sear (HTS) by hand. The problem should be obvious. Possibility could be:

A. Sear Spring missing
B. HTS parts mis-matched, such as L1A1 sear or selector?

Or just call Dan! He's a great guy and will undoubtedly help you out.

Good Luck

Itchy Finger
June 10, 2002, 12:41
No the safety is not in the auto position.
Yes the h/t/s all seem to work fine.
Fired several rounds at one point it shot
a second round and then did it's miss.
Doesn't sound like a common problem I'll
wait for replacement hts "THEN" get tecnical
OH YEA!!!

By the way I've been trying to get an order with
Mosses. How do I contact him. I've sent a couple
e-mails.

Chuck

W.E.G.
June 10, 2002, 12:47
Sounds like a worn sear to me.

Itchy Finger
June 10, 2002, 12:58
YOU KNOW!!!
The kit I got is a grade 1, However the hammer did have some
serious grinding where the sear catches. Just figgured if it locked
back by hand it would when fired.
My bad????

Chuck

Falfegnügen
June 10, 2002, 15:26
Originally posted by gary.jeter
Sounds like a worn sear to me.

Yep, I'll second that. It happens occasionally. Especially if someones been dremeling on it...

Hebrew Battle Rifle
June 10, 2002, 23:33
Here is an experiment to try that will not endanger you or cost any money. Replace the sear spring with the trigger spring. Use the sear spring in the trigger spring position. When you fire , you will have to push the trigger back into place, BUT, if the hammer locks back in place like it should, then you need (1) an new spring( order a trigger spring) or (2) wait for your US HTS and start all over.

Use a short piece of coat hanger(very short..like 1 inch or so) as a slave pin when you re assemble the trigger and sear. If you don't understand what I mean, you will figure it out when you try to reassemble the trigger/sear.