PDA

View Full Version : AK/SKS

michael_g927
March 01, 2017, 23:57
About 20 years ago, our shop had some SKS rifles that came to us that took standard AK47 mags. I cant for the life of me remember the Make and Model of these rifles. Anyone know anything about these?

LVMPDawg
March 02, 2017, 01:39
That would be the Norinco SKS D model.

There's some pretty good info on them on sksboards.com

Seems the detachable mag mod was invented here, then the Chinese copied it and began doing it at the factory.

pre1989
March 02, 2017, 18:25
A lot of them ..

The D was the first pre 1989 ..Yes we here cooked it up and they copied it ..It was never really marked D I dont think

But then there was the model M which was post ban with a shorter 16inc barrel and no bayo lug .. Both fixed and Thumbhole stocks on them

Also some sporters will work with AK mags ..

There were also the Type 63 ..Not a 100 on that were another Mag conversion gun that only took special mags

A stock SKS Ak mag gun wont take drums unless you mod the stock

Good guns but picky on mags dont like plastic mags all that much

pre1989
March 02, 2017, 18:30
http://chinesesks.weebly.com/commercial.html

has info on most of the many many types import just Commerical before the ban on them

ah it was the Type 84 that took modded AK mags

by my count there are 10 models or more that took or were made here or Chia to take AK mags ..

It was a big thing

I think up North in Candian it was big also due to the AK ban ..Not sure where that went

BC
March 02, 2017, 23:58
http://chinesesks.weebly.com/commercial.html

has info on most of the many many types import just Commerical before the ban on them

ah it was the Type 84 that took modded AK mags

by my count there are 10 models or more that took or were made here or Chia to take AK mags ..

Type 84 of what? SKS? I thought the name Type 84 was given to a 5.56mm caliber AK.

def90
March 03, 2017, 08:22
Type 84 of what? SKS? I thought the name Type 84 was given to a 5.56mm caliber AK.

There is a type 84 sks that used regular ak mags

grumpy1
March 03, 2017, 22:35
I remember seeing in the NRA's American Rifleman some time around 1990 an article/ story about the SKS. As I recall, it talked about using the SKS for deer hunting but I could be getting mixed up with articles I read when I was younger. It was in that article that I first saw an SKS which used the standard AK mags. I began searching for one shortly after that, it only took about 10 years to find one. It was a type 84 in great shape, at an awesome price. I picked it up at a gun show for the amazing price of $250 in 2001.

Now, I can inform you that it is picky about what mags it will take. Mine will only take mags that have a small front mag catch. It looks like it would be easy to open up the notch so that it would take all mags. I'm not sure that by doing this that it would accept the 75 or 100 round drums though.

The stock is about 1.5 inches shorter than a standard SKS and does have the 16.5 inch barrel with the bayonet lug and the unique bolt hold open device. It's a fun little gun to own. From the link above, I learned that there were relatively few of these type 84 rifles imported.

michael_g927
March 04, 2017, 01:49
Thanks fellas.
I was wondering what you guys thought about the type 84 versus an AK?

Texgunner
March 04, 2017, 08:43
My SKS-M:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/Texgunner/Norinco%20SKS-M%20%20762x39-/leftfullbest.jpg (http://s7.photobucket.com/user/Texgunner/media/Norinco%20SKS-M%20%20762x39-/leftfullbest.jpg.html)

grumpy1
March 04, 2017, 16:33
Thanks fellas.
I was wondering what you guys thought about the type 84 versus an AK?

Well, since I own both, I would have to say it all depends on what you plan to do with it. Each has its strengths.

Both are about the same size. The AK is easier to load, the SKS needs the bolt held open to gegt the mag to seat properly. The SKS doesn't look as evil, with the mag out. I don't see a difference in accuracy between the two. The Type 84 will cost as much as an AK.

pre1989
March 04, 2017, 21:16
I will second above ..I find it funny as to me a sks rifle would be the great gun for a ban state ..Ie the fun of a non funny trigger set up and it takes AK mag yet has a hunting stock and no nasty barrel stuff

But yet they are banned in most states that ban stuff

And yeah both the mag SKS and the AK had there own pros and cons ..Some will say the sks was never made for rapid mag changes

But I like the mag SKS ..They are light and handy handle well

But they are not easy to scope well and a lot of the parts are near imposible to find if something goes wrong

hueyville
March 09, 2017, 03:03
SKS-M, bringing $900 new in box. Was buying for $90 each with 600 round tin of steel core ammo thrown in back in late 80's. Have a pile of them and been considering selling.

Modified another standard SKS today before finishing my 22 Nosler AR and going to Stimpy's to build FAL's. (Still got three paid off site locations and two shop jobs done) Extended butt pad, Tapco trigger, 20 round box magazine, Trijicon tritium front and rear sights and moderately extended box magazine release to make it easier when want to dump my load.

Only question is don't want to remove bayonet (loaned some to parents and nephew which were returned with crappy flash hiders and original bayonets totally gone) so is there a muzzle brake a.k.a. flash hider that will work with bayonet still being functional? Assume some modification to bayonet mount may be necessary but rather have it than some cheesy clip around sight tube with holes. Know there are some legal issues with flash hiders but not muzzle brakes on SKS rifles, does that apply to pre 1989 versions? Have several have done above mods to without any muzzle device and don't really think it's a big deal but does someone have an elegant solution out there I haven't seen. Most of my AK's and SKS's were purchased between 1985 and 1988 if it matters.