PDA

View Full Version : Ruger New Model Blackhawk?

chino*74
February 28, 2017, 21:26
Looking for a SAA in .45 Colt that I can load a bit hotter than my Uberti's. Have not had a Ruger for awhile. Any opinions?? This would be a camping, hiking, outdoors pistol, not for hunting per se but just to have in case & it's not likely I will run into any bears but Mtn Lion / cougars, possible.

I am thinking either the basic or the combo w the extra .45 ACP cylinder but not really sure I would take advantage of the extra cylinder option for my purposes.

gunseller
February 28, 2017, 21:47
The extra cylinder adds about $100. This would give you an option down the road if political winds blow the other way. As for the Ruger they are very strong and can be loaded hotter than your Uberti.
Steve

easttex
February 28, 2017, 22:05
My dad has a Blackhawk in .45 Colt. His best load is a wadcutter with a minimum powder charge. His most impressive load is a heavy semi wadcutter and a case full of H110. Either way it's a comfortable, accurate revolver to shoot. Good price too.

I have a Super Redhawk and wouldn't take for it. You can't go wrong with a Ruger revolver.

chino*74
February 28, 2017, 22:20
Leaning towards the new model due to the transfer bar safety, safe to load 6 & I believe they R using the smaller grip frame size that is more traditional to the Colt SAA. Anyway, going to sit on this awhile til I get a better take on what I actually want.

I mean I can load my Uberti's with Buffalo Bore standard pressure .45 hard cast solids at 225? grains & 1050 FPS., good for any SAA in good shape & will punch holes thru anything, so I am not completely sure I NEED a BH in .45 but since I am getting into reloading for the .45 might be fun to see what mid to upper loads I can do w a Ruger...although I can push the Uberti somewhat.

I have found that when it comes to guns I sometimes do impulse buys, ya I have the funds to get what I wish but I have learned to question why I am doing other than just cause I can. I see these guys w more guns than a gun store's complete stock, not knocking those that do but for me it seems I should shoot more of what I have now...so we shall see.

On a related note been lookin at this! http://www.longhunt.com/web/index.php?page=cowboy-action-shooting-taylor-lh-deluxe-smoke-wagon He does some nice Vaqueros as well so we shall see.

Bawana jim
March 01, 2017, 00:07
Tried a couple of the 45 colt new models in different barrel lengths and never was happy with their accuracy. Tried a lot of loads and to me they were short range guns. I could hit the jack rabbits out to about fifty yards but after that the heavy hammer fall from the coil spring was just too much.

Some time later Ruger come out with a stainless 44 special with the smaller grip so I tried it and this time had springs put into it for a better hammer fall. It shot really well with most of my loads and I am still happy with its accuracy.

Doubt this helps but it's the best I have to offer.

chino*74
March 01, 2017, 00:37
Hey BJ, I know the new models all have springs & the smaller grip. I can always get the short stroke option after market if hammer cocking or fall time is an issue I guess.

Knowing me I will probably get that Taylor's Smoke Wagon Deluxe., I like my Ubertis :)

Bawana jim
March 01, 2017, 01:01
I really do like the leaf spring better for accuracy, but the Ruger 45s will take full power loads and not break. Sometime look in the cylinder of the Colt copies and notice the bolt cut is at the thinestt part of the cylinder wall. Makes for a weak gun and that's why Elmer went to the 44s as the cylinder walls were thick.

TerryN
March 01, 2017, 23:24
If the OP wants to shoot RUGER ONLY or so-called +P loads, he needs to make certain that he buys the full-size Blackhawk or original ("Old") Vaquero. The newer flattop guns on the New Vaquero size frame ARE NOT rated for the more powerful loads. An easy way to tell what you have is by the serial number. If it has a 3-digit prefix, it is the smaller frame, NOT suited for heavy loads. If it has a 2-digit prefix, it is the larger frame and IS suitable for heavy loads. I wish Ruger had changed the name for the smaller framed guns so there wouldn't be so much room for confusion, but they didn't.

hueyville
March 05, 2017, 05:46
If not stuck in SA (love my old Ruger flat tops) and want to push a wheelgun to maximum potential in 44, the Dan Wesson 744VH are my favorite. Can switch barrel lengths, set barrel cylinder wide gap for reliability in field or narrow for accuracy at range and adjust tension on barrel to tune harmonics. A Dan Wesson Pistol Pac with barrels from 2.5", 4", 6", 8" and 10" can swap from carry gun to pack gun or big game hunter then take it to range and drill small groups in paper. Back when IHMSA was the hot game the 744 ruled the game and made those 200 yards rams more than clank and knocking them down with authority. Took a stout load to be both accurate and tip a steel ram at 200 yards. My Dan Wesson 357 and 44 swap barrels are still my favorite wheel guns even with 454 and 500 magnum options.

chino*74
March 05, 2017, 09:21
Good to know regarding the SN prefix numbers...as far as Dan Wesson revolvers, I believe Ur right Huey if I was not into SAA style I would look hard at the older Wesson packages w the interchangeable barrel lengths. I Remember I passed on one may years ago back when they were new...shoulda got it. That was the 'Red Barn' sporting goods & outdoor store in Spokane WA...

gordonm1
March 05, 2017, 10:09
I bought a used Blackhawk in .357 mag. I had a lot of fun shooting light loads in it and when I owned it .38 special reloads could be bought $5 for 50.

I reloaded for it and after not many full power loads it started spitting lead or whatever they do. I sold it off and found a new S&W 586 for cheap.

I balked at trying to fix it myself. Maybe there's some good Utube videos out now on how to do it.

gordonm1
March 05, 2017, 10:11
No love for the Vaquero? I thought that was more like a Colt SAA.

I'd like to get the real deal from the 1800's.

carmenrose9967
March 05, 2017, 15:24
The Old Vaquero's are fine Guns, great looking case harden frames, heavy, well made. They will take heavy loads with no problems. I have a stocking dealers sample, .45 colt 5 1/2'' barrel, wonderful Blueing, fine case colors,super smooth action. It holds a good group with no problem.
Rich:wink:

carmenrose9967
March 05, 2017, 15:25
The Old Vaquero's are fine Guns, great looking case harden frames, heavy, well made. They will take heavy loads with no problems. I have a stocking dealers sample, .45 colt 5 1/2'' barrel, wonderful Blueing, fine case colors,super smooth action. It holds a good group with no problem. The extra weight helps with recoil for heavy loads.
Rich:wink:

chino*74
March 05, 2017, 21:30
The problem w buying used SAA's someone always fukks up the action by either trying to fan it, mucking up the hammer notches, cylinder stops or other things, cylinder drag marks that R excessive is a sure sign someone doesn't know anything about handling a SAA. They either get out of time & spit a lotta lead, eventually fukks up the forcing cone or the hammer will not hold on half cock, whatever the case may be.

Nothing wrong w the older Vaqs. I prefer traditional SAA'a which Vaqueros certainly R NOT either the old or newer models. If I ever get a Ruger it will be Ruger 'traditional' BH Flat Top with adjustable sights. That design I am OK with because it was not meant to clone the SAA look or function. I can live w the goofy loading drill & the non 4 click hammer etc.

If I want a SAA it will be something other than a Ruger. My personal opinion is the Vaqueros R something less than traditional looking SAA's, even the new ones R slightly bigger than a real SAA, the grip / frame look different & I will never get past it.

Bawana jim
March 06, 2017, 10:33
Many years ago some work friends and I went hunting Jacks in central oregon. Lots to shoot at so with five of us in a line I took the end on the left because I only used hand guns. When a jack would get flushed my way the shots were about 50 yards so it was easy to hit one. I carried a brace of handguns and one was a Ruger Blackhawk in 45 colt.

Load was 8 grains of unique and a 250 grain lswc. My other guns were all 45acp with 230 grain ball. With a good solid hit I didn't notice any difference in the rounds. One odd shot at about 25 yards was a 45lc right to the chest from the side. Saw the fur fly from the shot and the rabbit pumped it's back legs twice then laid over dead. That was the longest any of them lasted.

One buddy was useing a 44 mag and it cut the rabbits right in half every time.

Deal I liked about 45 acp cylinder in the Ruger was I reloaded useing a 1911 mag and that was fast.

K. Funk
March 14, 2017, 07:55
I love the .45 Colt Ruger Blackhawks. I have an old style New Model dual cylinder that shoots well as well as an "old" Vaquero. I also have a stainless .45 Colt Bisley that is just incredible (looking and shooting). I like the big frames better than the new smaller frames depending on caliber. I have the small frames in .44 Sp and .357 Mag and they are nice shooters, but for .44 Mag and .45 Colt, big frame is better for me.

krf

Brother Wayne
March 16, 2017, 00:01
I love the .45 Colt Ruger Blackhawks. I have an old style New Model dual cylinder that shoots well as well as an "old" Vaquero. I also have a stainless .45 Colt Bisley that is just incredible (looking and shooting). I like the big frames better than the new smaller frames depending on caliber. I have the small frames in .44 Sp and .357 Mag and they are nice shooters, but for .44 Mag and .45 Colt, big frame is better for me.

krf
The Ruger Bisley is a wonderful pistol. I've had mine since 1989. I use Skeeter Skellton's old favorite load of 9 grs of Unique and my cast 255 gr. SWC from a Lyman mold. Even with my aging eyes the Bisley will usually touch at least 3 of the 6 bullets at 25 yrs from a bagged in rest.
It fits my large ham hands where a Super Blackhawks' smaller grips will allows let my middle finger take a beating from the trigger guard.