View Full Version : Form to use for changes

February 26, 2017, 14:41
I have been away from the class 3 scene for 25 years. I have a Selectfire FAL upper in storage.It had an L2A1 kit on it many years ago. It will be reconfigured with a standard 21" Imbel kit. What form do I use to make the change to correct length,model etc?

John A
February 26, 2017, 14:53
If you are simply making a change in length, far as I know, you just have to notify them in writing as such. You give them the serial number and tell them you need to update the registry with a permanent change.

If you're changing the receiver, to have different model and serials and such, there is no form for that at all because you can't do it.

You can make changes to the registered receiver with different barrels and such. But changing the model name may present issues.

Make, model, serial, address, are probably not changeable. Especially since it's engraved on the receiver.

February 26, 2017, 15:27
Perhaps I didnt state things correctly. The upper "receiver" is the registered part(serialized part). The firearm was disassembled many years ago and the parts kit sold. All I have left is the upper receiver which is being reassembled with an Imbel kit. No change in serial.(cant change serial numbers anyway) The model number will be different as a change from L2A1 to 50.00 and the barrel length is different. No model number is stamped on the upper receiver anyhow. Just looking for info on what form to use to make the dimensional/model changes.

John A
February 26, 2017, 15:43
You'll probably need to contact NFA branch on that one. I really don't know.

Make, location of manufacture, model, serial, and caliber are supposed to be engraved on the receiver or barrel in a conspicuous location.

Those are NFA reg's.

February 26, 2017, 16:05
I've made changes similar to what you speak of and merely typed up a letter using A MS Word letter format indicating (by block #) what amendments to make on the form. Sent it to the NFA Branch and about 2 months later received a letter from them thanking me for the update. I keep their letter of acknowledgment and my letter with the original form and tax stamp.

In their response they stated:

"We have noted the above change in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record (NFRTR). Thank you for assisting us in maintaining the accuracy of the NFRTR.

We apologize for the delay in responding to your request. If we can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to call us at 304-616-4500, or write the US Department of Justice, Bureau of Acohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, National Firearms Act Branch, Suite 1250, 244 Needy Road, Martisburg, WV 25404-9431

Edward D. Saavedra, Jr
Chief, National Firearms Act Branch

February 26, 2017, 18:40
Thanks, I'll send in my changes and see whats goes.