PDA

View Full Version : deadlining my four "main" mags

W.E.G.
February 25, 2017, 22:44
After a quarter-century, I'm now getting a "clunk-clunk-clunk.." effect on the ammo stack on my four main mags.

That is, when I push down on the ammo stack in the mag, the rounds clunk-clunk-clunk over the speed bumps that have formed along the inside face of the rear spine portion of the mag.

Seems that a quarter century of battering of the follower-spring has ground a series of divots into the face of the inner spine.
This causes the ass-end of the rounds to have to negotiate those speed bumps as the ammo stack rises in the mag.

I had a malfunction this week that I traced back to this issue.

You can see the neatly spaced white spots in the left side of the pic that are the speed bumps.

Good thing I had four unused mags in the waiting.

I hope I make it another quarter century. I was hoping to get to use-up the next four mags,... and the next four,... and the next four...

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/rifle%20pics/AR-15/6D0882FD-C499-4D1C-80BC-5D99A3AA5420_zpsivadsvyg.jpg

bulletslap
February 25, 2017, 23:26
I think you ought to asked for a refund :tongue:

Pluribus
February 26, 2017, 00:07
That's certainly proof what a crap design the AR mag is and it's the real contributing factor in what makes the Stoner design such a piece of crap too.

I can't believe they still make and, sell so many of the damn things.

Dremel the shit out of it. That'll fix it.

Bertellione
February 26, 2017, 00:21
That's certainly proof what a crap design the AR mag is and it's the real contributing factor in what makes the Stoner design such a piece of crap too.

I can't believe they still make and, sell so many of the damn things.

Dremel the shit out of it. That'll fix it.

I have to call bull shit, I've been shooting them for 34 years and I'm 39 years old. I've also been shooting a lot of other styles of gun and not the fakes US made shit. The fact is everything jams and mags were never ever ment to be reused steal or aluminum. Also mags aren't suppose to last longer than the gun and the gun is ment to out last the soldier. Every gun jams eventually, the question is how fast can you clear that particular jam?

fmj_shooter
February 26, 2017, 00:31
Thats pretty cool. Got your money's worth out of those bad boys.

Bertellione
February 26, 2017, 01:00
After a quarter-century, I'm now getting a "clunk-clunk-clunk.." effect on the ammo stack on my four main mags.

That is, when I push down on the ammo stack in the mag, the rounds clunk-clunk-clunk over the speed bumps that have formed along the inside face of the rear spine portion of the mag.

Seems that a quarter century of battering of the follower-spring has ground a series of divots into the face of the inner spine.
This causes the ass-end of the rounds to have to negotiate those speed bumps as the ammo stack rises in the mag.

I had a malfunction this week that I traced back to this issue.

You can see the neatly spaced white spots in the left side of the pic that are the speed bumps.

Good thing I had four unused mags in the waiting.

I hope I make it another quarter century. I was hoping to get to use-up the next four mags,... and the next four,... and the next four...

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/rifle%20pics/AR-15/6D0882FD-C499-4D1C-80BC-5D99A3AA5420_zpsivadsvyg.jpg

Which follower?
I'm guessing the black you got your money out of that mag lma555

Barbcue
February 26, 2017, 01:13
That's a 20 rnd mag

metal follower ?

hkshooter
February 26, 2017, 07:23
I have to call bull shit, I've been shooting them for 34 years and I'm 39 years old. I've also been shooting a lot of other styles of gun and not the fakes US made shit. The fact is everything jams and mags were never ever ment to be reused steal or aluminum. Also mags aren't suppose to last longer than the gun and the gun is ment to out last the soldier. Every gun jams eventually, the question is how fast can you clear that particular jam?

While I don't always recognize sarcasm, I'm going to risk it here and say Pluribus' post was oozing with it. No real need to get huffy. :wink:

hokey45
February 26, 2017, 08:19
The opportunity to wear out a magazine from use is a blessing. I've got 1911 mags with dimples on the front from the bullet noses hitting it during recoil. Makes me smile every time I look at them.

W.E.G. what kind of mags are those?

J. Armstrong
February 26, 2017, 09:45
While I don't always recognize sarcasm, I'm going to risk it here and say Pluribus' post was oozing with it. No real need to get huffy. :wink:

Bingo !!!!

Pluribus
February 27, 2017, 18:22
Bingo !!!!

Thanks fellers, forgot I smarted off over here.

Berty ol' boy, take a pill, have a drink, take it easy, and don't get upset. We're having some fun here, you should too.

And just in case you really want to be pissy, then,

:facepalm:

Fuh'r th'ah sai'ch oa'h al'e duh'r fekk

:tongue:

ETA: Oh, I've been shooting them since 1973 and then my service time so, so F'N whut? It is inconsequential to the argument and/or opinion.

W.E.G.
February 27, 2017, 19:37
Three Colt. One Adventureline.

The one in the pic is a Colt.

Metal followers all.

This is the follower on the mag I used most.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/rifle%20pics/AR-15/mag%20follower%201_zpsgiiwwan4.jpg

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/rifle%20pics/AR-15/mag%20follower%202_zpscxt8o25x.jpg

SAFN49
February 27, 2017, 19:51
They used to issue us ones that looked just like that! :rofl:

spider991
February 27, 2017, 20:56

I tried to get the sign that the little cartoon holds up that says "sarcasm".....but I am tech tard..sorry

M90A1
February 27, 2017, 21:50
Heck, a little JB Weld will fix them right up! :eek:

raubvogel
February 27, 2017, 22:21
Heck, a little JB Weld will fix them right up! :eek:

Duct tape FTW

Pluribus
February 27, 2017, 23:02
I'm afraid to reply now and, just don't know what to say.

Gary! You let up on those magazines now, you've got them all oppressed due to stress. You should convert that damn AR to run on FAL mags and that'll show 'em a good lesson, I tell you what the damn, AR piece 'o crap, trying be all more accurate than a FAL an' shiii-it.

I'll give you the price of shipping for 'em.

jhend170
February 28, 2017, 16:08
Hey WEG... am I seeing brass at each spot? The forensics of such things always interests me. Steel or aluminum? Wondering if the back of the cases match up with each little speed bump and if the brass itself didn't do that with time.

yellowhand
February 28, 2017, 20:15
If ya were not so hard on your stuff, it'd last longer, geeez!:tongue::rofl:

BiGB808
March 11, 2017, 13:11
Doesnt everyone jewel the insides of their mag bodies?

hokey45
March 11, 2017, 17:31
I like how the feed lip on the mag in the first pic is worn to a knife edge.

W.E.G.
March 11, 2017, 18:34
Hey WEG... am I seeing brass at each spot? The forensics of such things always interests me. Steel or aluminum? Wondering if the back of the cases match up with each little speed bump and if the brass itself didn't do that with time.

Good of you to ask that.

I think the ass-ends of the rounds may have contributed.

But, there are more speed bumps in a given strip of spine than would be accounted for by individual rounds that can fit - unless perhaps the individual rounds were somehow causing more than one speed bump.

In any event, the bumps are clearly there. You can feel them with your fingernail, and you can see the clunk-clunk-clunk movment as the ass-ends of the rounds ride over the bumps.

Something made those bumps. Mighta been Sasquatch for all I can say for sure. All four mags suffered from the same bumpetyness to one degree or another.

Jarhead504
March 11, 2017, 19:24
I shudder at the horror of having to scrap (4) mags and followers, used for just 25 years that have probably had only half a million round run through them and the owner had at least $8.75 INVESTED into each one. They just don't make another worth a shit any more!

Jarhead

hagar
March 11, 2017, 20:59
I have actually worn out a .223 shellholder, but my Vietnam era 20 rounders are still going strong. Some of the springs are getting a little soft, friend of mine gave me a few new ones but I figure I'll give them another 10 or 20 years,

Story
March 11, 2017, 21:24
Try putting the bullets in differently.

http://i.imgur.com/lUtjOEI.jpg

hueyville
March 12, 2017, 07:00
Purchased a 55 gallon drum of magazines sold as mixed scrap by local military training base to place buy my wheel weights from. Almost every one worked 100% with a good cleaning and some lubrication. Soon as had feeding issues, magazines went in scrap barrel. That was back when they sold their scrap brass to local scrap yard which was heaven on earth getting once fired Lake City by the barrel. Then believe it was Slick Willies administration where that type stuff had to go to approved military contractors for disposal. Somewhere I imagine a huge scrap yard owned by Clinton Foundation making some bank off every item dot mil scraps till the third coming of Christ...

lysanderxiii
March 12, 2017, 12:54
Purchased a 55 gallon drum of magazines sold as mixed scrap by local military training base to place buy my wheel weights from. Almost every one worked 100% with a good cleaning and some lubrication. Soon as had feeding issues, magazines went in scrap barrel. That was back when they sold their scrap brass to local scrap yard which was heaven on earth getting once fired Lake City by the barrel. Then believe it was Slick Willies administration where that type stuff had to go to approved military contractors for disposal. Somewhere I imagine a huge scrap yard owned by Clinton Foundation making some bank off every item dot mil scraps till the third coming of Christ...
You can still buy DRMO brass. (http://www.govliquidation.com/c/fired-brass.html)

Some places like Ft Benning, Ft Leonard Wood , or Ft Jackson have a standing contract with some scrap yard to haul off used brass like garbage, every week or two. They go through an awful lot of it, being BT bases.

hueyville
March 12, 2017, 17:38
You can still buy DRMO brass. (http://www.govliquidation.com/c/fired-brass.html)

Some places like Ft Benning, Ft Leonard Wood , or Ft Jackson have a standing contract with some scrap yard to haul off used brass like garbage, every week or two. They go through an awful lot of it, being BT bases.

Know of site you linked and others but believe it has to go to "approved" vendors now, not just closest scrap yard to base. Same scrap yard got all of the local stuff from 1970's till Clinton reign. There was an order saying all brass had to be shredded and not sold for reloading, Georgia Arms (big commercial Reloader at time) posted an article about it which lead to people thinking that once fired was banned which was true for a few months. Couple of senators got it fixed while a few commercial reloaders went belly up in process but think, not sure, has to be approved purchaser to receive from dot mil bases now.

All I know is have been to every scrap yard in reasonable distance all directions and none have seen any since then and told by guys on base some company picks it up, they no longer haul off themselves. Believe it was used for beer money but can't confirm that. Have two five gallon buckets left of linked 7.62 blanks and one bucket of linked 5.56. Any short belt left with 10 to 50 rounds left went in a scrap barrel rather than piecing them together at time. Local scrap yard called me everytime a truck arrived with anything from the base as I paid more than their vendors did by enough to matter. Was so plentiful only picked up what had to after shooting, wish had put a little more effort in now cause every time we bush hog pasture pieces of brass still get flung at tractor operator. The barrel of magazines was my prime pick as was sold at mixed scrap price which is lowest tier.

lysanderxiii
March 14, 2017, 11:43
Scrap metal, not just brass, in general is big business.

It wouldn't surprise me that companies that specialize in reclamation of once fired brass would out bid the local scrap yard.

TenTea
March 14, 2017, 11:54
I'll take it!

PM inbound. :tongue:

hardheaded
April 07, 2017, 07:16
44 mag has Okay ind mags for a decent price

Timber Wolf
April 11, 2017, 13:35
Bet these new plastic magazines would not deform like that old crap. Trade up once in a while doncha.

W.E.G.
April 11, 2017, 15:41
The 20 round magpul mags were fail for National Match course.

Dozens of rifles and multiple mags.

Bolt over base malfunction when loading from closed bolt, with muzzle elevated.