PDA

View Full Version : Quick detachable bbl deal for an AR

AFeod
February 25, 2017, 17:50
Someone posted one of these on the mp. I can't find it anymore. Did it sell? Am I blind? Wait don't answer that last one...

AFeod
February 25, 2017, 17:51
Anyone have experience w/ this set up? I'm very interested in doing this to my next ar build
:whiskey:

W.E.G.
February 25, 2017, 18:42
Upper receivers cost how much?

$40?

Handguard rail doesn't cost much.
Peanuts actually if you aren't buying the snob-brands.

It takes all of two minutes to swap a scope to another upper.
Two seconds if you use a QD mount.

So, other than the extra cost of an upper receiver, and the handguard rail, what does a "switch-barrel" AR do that a second barrel already mounted on a second upper receiver can't do?

CG&L
February 25, 2017, 18:45
Lewis Machine and Tool came out with one years ago. It seems silly as an AR upper is quick detach to begin with and the optic on the switched out upper is already sighted in.

LMT prolly still makes it though.

AFeod
February 25, 2017, 22:17

$40?

So, other than the extra cost of an upper receiver, and the handguard rail, what does a "switch-barrel" AR do that a second barrel already mounted on a second upper receiver can't do?

Honestly I didn't think of that. The process of breaking down the bbl and separating the upper from lower doesn't seem that different when it comes to stuffing the rifle in a backpack. (At least that would be my use of it) thanks for seeing things through WEG:bow:

2barearms
February 26, 2017, 10:41
Dolos is the name of the kit to do a take down barrel conversion. I found another
one at SHOT that I like but it's a lot more expensive. They have 223 and 308 versions also.

The issue I have with the Dolos was the tubular hand guard could not be timed
and it was in pieces rather one assembly.

2barearms
February 26, 2017, 10:53

$40?

I had built a hand full of custom brief case AR's and the issue was with the overall length of the upper. When you can remove the barrel from the upper
it makes the pieces smaller and obviously more compact. The reality is that
these kits are more survival and last resort than an everyday gun.