PDA

View Full Version : Any Toyota tranny experts

George4
February 23, 2017, 08:02
2011 Avalon, 49,000 miles, like new. Issue developing only in rolling traffic, acts intermittently, as if torque converter not engaging......increase RPM and then movement. Does not happen all the time upper speeds no issue. Any thoughts or experience appreciated. Before I surrender myself to the dealer. Thanks.
George

Sig220
February 23, 2017, 08:17
No expert, had a 06 Camry with low miles doing kind of the same thing. I changed out the tranny fluid and the problem went away. So you might want to have someone do a fluid change......if you do it yourself, just don't add too much fluid (overfill). Good luck!

meltblown
February 23, 2017, 11:00
Hard to believe as I am solid believer in Toyota and Nissan reliability...but I would get it checked. A few $ may save more $$$$$.

My g37 is rolling up 200K with no issues. The transmission is sealed though and you can't change the fluid or filter so I wonder if it will last to my 300K target

yovinny
February 23, 2017, 11:01
Sounds exactly like issue I had/have with my 07' Tacoma. Mostly noticed it when first starting out or giving it a little bit more go when rolling up to a stop.
It has 150k now and has had the tranny fluid changed twice.
It still does it rarely (seems like it's slipping) but Toyota always claimed there was no issue and it's a computer bug thing.
The computer is 'supost' to adjust tranny shifting to your driving style, but it gets confused and lost at times.
You can always disconnect battery for a couple of hrs and it should reset back to factory default shifting again...

George4
February 23, 2017, 11:15
Thank you, reading a user forum brought out some similar experiences as yours, appreciate your time.
George

Methane
February 23, 2017, 13:28
Lots of information here to search > http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/

Paul Cox
February 24, 2017, 18:43
I would drop the pan and put the fluid into containers that allow you to measure the amount. Clean the pan and magnet. Don't be scared of metal fuzz on the magnet, that's normal. Metal chunks are something to be concerned with.

Install a new OEM filter(presoaked and messy with fluid) and gasket if it's not a rubber reusable. It probably is though and 47k is not a problem. Don't overtorque the gasket. Generally less than 9 ft/lb in the right pattern is acceptable. You can always go more if it needs it.

Refill the trans through the dipstick hole with the same amount of fluid you removed from the pan. USE OEM TRANS FLUID ONLY! Start the car and allow it to idle for a few minutes to give the pump time to circulate the new oil through the trans and warm up. With your foot on the brake slowly shift through all the gears several times. Idle a little more then road test.

After testing, check the level using the owner's manual procedure (ie. warmed up) and add fluid if needed.

This procedure will change at least half or more of the fluid in the trans. Auto transmissions unlike engines rely on some friction and a complete fluid change can be detrimental. Trans fluid acts as a cleaning agent and will sometimes cause deposits to release and get stuck in the valve body so changing all at once isn't always best.

At 47K your trans is a perfect candidate for this partial change. NEVER ever fall for the "trans flush" unless it has been done religiously near the OEM intervals for the life of the vehicle.

High mileage vehicles that get their first flush often fail soon after because of gunk that gets released into the valve body and accumulators. Dark looking but not burnt smelling fluid is usually OK.

Paul Cox
February 24, 2017, 18:45
BTW.. When you put a new filter on make sure that the original O-ring didn't stick in the bore. Pick the old one out if so.

badzero
February 24, 2017, 21:26
I don't know about Toyota but the new Ford trannys have an imput shaft speed sensor as well as an output speed sensor. When one of the sensors acts flaky it causes the problems like you are discribing as well as others, the edge and mkv are notorious for it.

SAFN49
February 24, 2017, 22:25
You can usually tell if it's a tranny because of the adams apple, unless they have had it shaved down.

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg547/djm540/thai-tranny-2_zpsrcidjz89.jpg (http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/djm540/media/thai-tranny-2_zpsrcidjz89.jpg.html)

http://thechive.com/2010/03/05/theres-something-about-thai-women-man-8-photos/

On a more serious note my son had the tranny in his late model Camry go out a couple years ago even with regular service and low miles. It wasn't worth replacing. The tranny was worth more than the car. He sold it for scrap and bought a Nissan. :facepalm:

badzero
February 25, 2017, 09:56
I want my word back, while we're at I want the effin rainbow back. I'm tired of a few whiny people laying claims to words and symbols that have been around forever. They want to be different let them come up with their own different names and symbols.

February 26, 2017, 07:52
Just send it to ISIS. They'll take good care of it for you. No worries on the tranny.

ExCdnSoldierInTx
February 26, 2017, 09:35
2011 Avalon, 49,000 miles, like new. Issue developing only in rolling traffic, acts intermittently, as if torque converter not engaging......increase RPM and then movement. Does not happen all the time upper speeds no issue. Any thoughts or experience appreciated. Before I surrender myself to the dealer. Thanks.
George

Most likely slightly low on fluid, got a leak. It won't be a big deal, have a shop put it up and check the level under the car and inspect for leakswhile he's there. If it's low, add a quart of fluid first, redrive it and see if it helps. Slightly overfilling it is no big deal. If you do, It'll leak out the vent and reach it's natural level.
If it persists, contact a reputable shop or the dealer.

FYI, you never really see wear in the pan anymore, other than a bit of very minor magnet fuzz. Chevys and Fords often are totally FUBAR with nothing showing in the pan at all.
Clutch wear in the pan used to normal and was often sold as a "failing transmission" by AAMCO, Cottman, and such.
AAMCO got in a lot of trouble for selling unneeded work and then not really doing anything other than painting the guy's old transmission. "Jewish Overhauls" they called them, and the stories about the oldsters who pulled that cap are rampant in the industry. There's industry "experts" out there who are not much more than highly paid con artists who teach shop owners how to sell transmission jobs using the old Chain Store way. I can name more than a few that are active and haven't been caught yet.

wyatt earp
February 26, 2017, 14:24
I seriously doubt the tranny is bad. I have a 2001 Avalon with 221,000 miles and it has had that exact same issue about 4 times and the cause has always been low fluid. Car still runs like new.

ExCdnSoldierInTx
February 26, 2017, 16:24
Exactly

George4
February 27, 2017, 00:09
Once more thanks to you all, seems I will know sometime next week, and will post the results.
On lighter side...I never thought to check the adams apple. :D
Have a better week, George

George4
March 05, 2017, 21:21
Getting back to all you good people who answered me.
Took the Avalon to my dealership of preference, with a detailed typed explanation, went over with their supervisor of 7 tranny techs. Listened well, they drove 16 miles, did the usual code checking and THEN reset the shift points back to factory. After the 4th day of driving and supposedly the trany computer re-learning.......the problem disappeared and I damn well hope never to return. Dealership gave me a detailed description of all they did for the 100,000 mile certified warranty record. Car was purchased certified 3 years ago and NO CHARGE along with a free loaner car for the day. Appreciate everyone's input. George;)