PDA

View Full Version : OT, Moly-Resin refinished AR-15

Aifwikir
June 09, 2002, 21:50
I just thought I'd share this. I took my AR Upper & lower out back and sand blasted them. Washed them off with Dawn Dish soap and rinsed in VERY hot water. Placed in oven @ 400 for 20 minutes and applied Norrell's Moly-Resin (Flat Black). Cooked them for a couple hours and here's the results. The Upper & lower were 2 different colors before I did this.

http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=Aifwikir&album_id=70748&image_id=10&param=44277

Here's how it turned out.

http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=Aifwikir&album_id=70748&image_id=16&param=4348

All in al I beleive Moly-Resin works best on aluminum.

Thanks for lookin'

:D
Aif

ratas calientes
June 09, 2002, 23:43
Looks good. - RC

rwwje
June 10, 2002, 09:26
Nice paint job. Just a thought, would sandblasting remove the hard anodized surface (Rockwell 75C or so for mil spec) of the aluminum? Isn't that hardened surface only about 0.0003" thick, or is it 0.003" thick?

Regal Beagal
June 10, 2002, 20:55
Sweet...! Nice job... Hey, what kind of trigger is on that boy. It doesn't look factory. Also, why didn't you just degrease and spray the moly on top of the original finish? RB

Aifwikir
June 10, 2002, 23:45
Regal: The finish that was on the lower was the DPMS Gray green type. It scratched up real easy. Can you say "Not a good base coat?" As the orinigal finish was so touchy, It scratched easy enough that my thumb nail took off some of the finish, I decided to remove it and give the Moly-Resin a good rough surface to stick to. It took me less than 5 minutes to strip the old finish with #4 sandblasting sand. I scrubbed it down with Dawn Dish Soap (VERY hot water) Rinsed it with Hot water and cooked it for 20 minutes to remove any leftover water drops. I was amased with the finish of the moly-resin. M-R works VERY good on Aluminum.

Aif

gun_collector
June 11, 2002, 01:48
So how tough is the cured finished?

Aifwikir
June 11, 2002, 16:46
Gun Collector: The Moly-Resin finish is actually tougher than the DPMS factory finish that was on the lower. The upper is an FN made assembly and the Moly resin is about the same as it's original finish.

Aif