PDA

View Full Version : Joe poyer L1A1 wood variations?

armed2012
February 19, 2017, 09:37
Hello, I recall reading some time back that, there were 2 different variations of wood on the 158 joe poyer imports, 1 was the light colored Australian coach wood and the other a darker wood, is this correct? if so what is the other wood? am I dreaming this up ?

def90
February 19, 2017, 10:15
Myrtle Beech and Sycamore was used at the end of production when the Poyer models would have been released.

Skenerton describes Myrtle Beech as the wood used on the L1A1A rifles which are likely the Poyers.

d_s
February 19, 2017, 15:24
Hello, I recall reading some time back that, there were 2 different variations of wood on the 158 joe poyer imports, 1 was the light colored Australian coach wood and the other a darker wood, is this correct? if so what is the other wood? am I dreaming this up ?

Check my thread in the pictures section with the title, "shades of L1A1", there are pics of poyers with orange darker wood, and the very light blonde wood

d_s
February 19, 2017, 15:25
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334708&highlight=shades+L1A1

yellowhand
February 19, 2017, 16:13
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334708&highlight=shades+L1A1

Had not seen this thread, beautiful work!

Working with new wood, nos, is or was nice.:wink:

Working on 50/60 year old surplus soaked in oil, dirt, grime, grease, is something else.

I have a few sets of very nice wood, like above, surplus, been stripping, cleaning, de-oiling, bleaching to get back to, down to the natural or original wood to do something like yours, but it's a damn long ass process.

With all this wood coming to its end of availability, re-working old crap into nice usable wood is going to become harder and harder to achieve.

Would be nice, if someone located a mile long train full of NOS FAL/L1A1 wood that's been sitting on a siding for 40 years.:D

armed2012
February 19, 2017, 17:56
I see, so did all of the poyers have Australian coach wood or?

def90
February 19, 2017, 18:34
I see, so did all of the poyers have Australian coach wood or?

Myrtle Beech is listed as the type of wood used on the L1A1A's.. ie Poyers and other exported semi auto rifles.

d_s
February 19, 2017, 19:25
Would be nice, if someone located a mile long train full of NOS FAL/L1A1 wood that's been sitting on a siding for 40 years.:D

You're not kidding, Id be first in line with cash in hand if by some miracle new L1A1 wood was found!!

armed2012
February 19, 2017, 19:41
ok got it thanks!

yellowhand
February 19, 2017, 19:51
You're not kidding, Id be first in line with cash in hand if by some miracle new L1A1 wood was found!!

I'm constantly looking for hand guards, which seems to be the first piece to go dry, as in, can't find any of the regular wood ones anywhere to refinish for folks.
Laminate ones are still around/available.

d_s
February 20, 2017, 11:30
I'm constantly looking for hand guards, which seems to be the first piece to go dry, as in, can't find any of the regular wood ones anywhere to refinish for folks.
Laminate ones are still around/available.

Yeah im always on the hunt as well, just recently I FINALLY pieced together a full NOS set of Aussie, old style wood furniture, ill try to take some pics tonight and post here for reference. Took me a good ten years or so to actually find all the pieces.

planemarty
February 20, 2017, 14:09
For all you folks looking, check this out- not my stuff and I don't know the person either. If it's not refinished, it looks like a gold mine!

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/622886086