PDA

View Full Version : 308 lightweight carrier ?

bigsky
February 13, 2017, 16:28
was toying with the idea of trying out one of those JP lightweight carriers with an addition of a stronger recoil spring, supposedly JP says it makes the rifle smoother???????I was thinking of doing it to shed the extra 4.5oz of weight and maybe it will be smoother who knows...

Was thinking the stiffer recoil spring might delay the action(good thing) but might also move the carrier to fast forward before the spent case was out of the rifle and do ftf.

Anyone have any experience with these lightweight carriers?

hueyville
February 13, 2017, 17:36
Broken ones. Folk bring them by on occasion ask what think cause of expensive broken bolt carrier was. Tell them expensive lightweight bolt carrier has less steel, takes less abuse. Take 2 bullets out of magazine and saved your four ounces plus a little. Lightweight is another term for less durability.

bigsky
February 13, 2017, 17:46
yep, thats true,,thats the reason why I havnt tried it yet..

gordonm1
February 13, 2017, 18:27
I expect you'd want and adjustable gas block too. My experience was adding a carrier weight to an Armalite to save brass. It reduced recoil and you felt a push and delayed seating of the bolt(chunk chunk).

An adjustable gas block might delay the broken bolt parts.

hueyville
February 13, 2017, 19:10
So lightweight BCG, new buffer spring ( recommend Tubbs Flatwire), adjustible gas block, probably another buffer to tune to perfection and how much have you spent? $400 for BCG, $30 on spring, $150 for their silent captured spring buffer and $100 for adjustible gas block. Say $700 with shipping and any taxes plus time to swap it all around. $175 per ounce if buffer and gas block don't add weight back and still possibly reduced durability but you would have your original parts for spares. I spend goofy rifle money all the time but low mass BCG is one item haven't fallen for. Most folks I see using them are trying to speed their rifles up. I try to build mine slow as possible. Ordered three carbine length and two intermediate length curly gas tubes today to slow down current and future builds as inventory was running low. Slow and heavy is durable, fast and light seems fragile. I like being the tortoise.

gordonm1
February 13, 2017, 20:53
I can see where moving a bit slower would save some money.

Frick, last I checked, Armalite bolt carrier groups were $200. I really don't want to break these parts.

jhend170
February 14, 2017, 08:59
Only reasons I could see running a light carrier are for competition and for subsonic loads.

Competitors fine tune everything around a specific load, and you'll likely not see a lightened system without an adjustable gas block to get everything to fall into a very narrow window of function.

For the subs the light charges can require lower masses to function. I have to run a low-mass unit in my 300BO pistol that has the Adams Arms piston system. Light charge means light mass to function. This would apply to the .308 as well, for the same reasons. However, the subs are far less demanding of the system as there is less power to create problems. If you step up to full-power loads with a stronger spring it seems you are seriously beating the components in BOTH directions. Things that get ridden hard fail.

So I'm quite sure John Paul would be very happy to take your money, and for most folks it would probably be a goodly amount of time before failure were to occur. But, guns work in "rounds" like your car does in "miles," and as most folks probably don't put 1000 rounds down range in 2 years with any particular weapon, odds are it would last several years. Competitors get sponsored so they get stuff like this at a reduced price or free, so the expense isn't as expensive for them.

Ultimately there are just other ways to save weight without giving up durability where it matters most. If you want it to run "smoother" get an adjustable gas block and a heavier buffer and tune them together so that your ejections aren't flung 20ft but it still locks back on empty. If you want lighter there are lots of components that can save you weight. Ultimately though, unless this is just a toy, I'd say lean toward reliability over "smoothness."

bigsky
February 14, 2017, 16:46
great responses folks, and i agree with you, just needed some first hand info, so I will forget about that idea. Thanks