PDA

View Full Version : HK G3 Green colored stocks (Did they typically not match?)

saigamantx
February 11, 2017, 04:29
I picked up a true HK OD Green wide forearm and pistol grip but I've noticed I've tried twice and the stock color is slightly different. What is weird is the butt plate matches everything else.

Was this pretty common?

sbl11
February 11, 2017, 07:37
I have noticed this as well. Maybe a slight mix up in the formula? Sun bleached?

On a side note, I have seen stocks that have been painted all one color of green, that seems to almost try to mimic the green underneath, though slightly different in shade. Any idea who and why they would paint them like this? I magine the entire rifle was painted this way because I have found Rene ants of this done in a stock endcap. It isnt your standard Rhodesian baby poop paint either.

Sbl

Eric_the_Red
February 11, 2017, 16:28
Depends on a few factors. Some observations after studying about 100 stock sets.

- Manufacturer. I've noticed many different shades (from dark flat green to olive drab) and a variety of textures (from perfectly smooth to very rough).
- Year of production. Even when the same manufacturer code is present, there are variations from one year to the next.
- Materials. As far as I can tell, the forearms were made from a more-dense type of plastic compared with the stocks and grips.
- Lighting. Strange as it sounds, furniture will look very different depending on the light source. For example, take a stock and examine it outside in bright sunlight. Then, examine it under fluorescent light or other bulbs.

I have two HK91 rifles in my collection right now. I wanted properly-matching furniture and ended up ordering approximately 30 complete stock sets from robertrtg.com. When they arrived, I spent an hour sorting the various pieces by color and condition. I ended up with some very nice sets that match in all lighting conditions. Sold the rest of the stock sets to make some money back.

Bottom line: As-issued G3 rifles almost certainly do not have furniture that matches perfectly.

SAFN49
February 11, 2017, 16:55
I agree with EtR^^^^

There are so many shades of green it's not funny. Some even have a brownish hue to them. Not to be confused with the 2 different color brown stocks they made.

AGG
February 12, 2017, 20:22
You will need to find a 1980's/early 1990's, complete set of HK furniture to match!!! :)

Tony

seasmoke
February 13, 2017, 19:01
I got lucky with a set from RTG some years back, Appeared to be NOS with all three pieces color matching for $12.95 IIRC. I think as with most other surplus G3 parts the supply is running low, you gets what they got.