PDA

View Full Version : Tanker Garand question.

AZ Dave
February 10, 2017, 20:41
Are any parts modified to make a tanker besides the barrel and hand guard ? Is the op rod a standard Garand op rod? Thanks in advance...

tdb59
February 10, 2017, 21:44
Are any parts modified to make a tanker besides the barrel and hand guard ? Is the op rod a standard Garand op rod? Thanks in advance...

The op rod gets bastardized as well.

littlehoot
February 10, 2017, 23:00
The op rod has to be bent differently to accommodate the shorter barrel length and the related operational differences

ServiceRifle
February 11, 2017, 07:18
I think the op rod just gets shortened in most tanker mods - that's why you have some with that funny little piece of the forward handguard filling in the space behind the gas cylinder assembly. I'm sure some modification of the gas port is needed as well.

More sophisticated tanker mods (like Shuffs) - that go for the maximum shortening of the rifle (with his mini Garand) - require a reconfiguring/reshapening of the op rod to accommodate the mechanics of the rifle and the configuration of the barrel and tuning of the gas system.

If I were going to buy one today (unless I got a super deal on one that works for under $1,000) I would spend the extra money and wait patiently for Shuff to build me a mini Garand