PDA

View Full Version : S&W 2nd Model 44 Special

nvcdl
February 10, 2017, 12:54
Picked up this revolver at my FFL yesterday.

Looks better in person - cylinder has a little bit of end shake and side to side play.

Supposedly the 5" versions are less common - might try to get it lettered to see if it left factory as a nickle gun.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/616303912

FUUN063
February 10, 2017, 14:33
Well, it certainly is old nickel. And, the letter stampings still look good and not washed out from what I can see. The front of the cylinder looks right, too. Good luck on the letter.

Leland
:fal:

TenTea
February 10, 2017, 14:55
Hard to argue with a LERK, a lanyard ring and a lazy ampersand. :shades:

ps: Good price and I used to live in Fenton, MI...

Sagerider
February 10, 2017, 16:03
Sweet!
I have a bit of a Jones for older S&W large frame revolvers.

BUFF
February 10, 2017, 19:17
Serial number 23988 looks like it was shipped 1925-1926. I think the 5 inch barrel length is original. The gun has been refinished but whether or not it was originally nickel, I can't say.

The common barrel length is 6-1/2 inches, with 4 inchers rare and 5 inchers scarce. I've got a 6-1/2 gun that was originally shipped to the Utah Highway Patrol and used as a duty weapon until the UHP went to .357 Magnums.

These are usually pretty good shooters.

Looks like you got a pretty good price, too. Congrats!

SPEEDGUNNER
February 10, 2017, 19:50
The markings are pretty sharp for a refinish, although it is flaking in a strange way.

That old girl just oozes history...

Well bought.

nvcdl
February 11, 2017, 10:39
I figure anytime I can pick up an N frame for less then $500 it is a no brainer.

Now I need to find that box of 44 Special I got in a trade last year.

Fleabus
February 11, 2017, 12:07
Can u still get new nickel screws
That would look terrific with new nickel and
Ivorys

hueyville
February 19, 2017, 22:07
You want some period correct pressure round nose lead? Would hate to see some modern factory ammo increase your end play and timing issues though an N Frame should take it. Shame Jim Stroh retired, he could do magic with that baby. Have a model 28 in 357 Mag with cylinder countersunk for case heads and is so strong can't blow it up. Believe me, have tried unknowingly at times by adding powder till primers flattened followed by piercing and a rubber hammer needed to drive empties out. After six rounds still has a many ft/lbs of energy as many pocket guns using it as a club.

BUFF
February 21, 2017, 16:02
"You want some period correct pressure round nose lead? Would hate to see some modern factory ammo increase your end play and timing issues though an N Frame should take it. "

With the exception of some ammo from "boutique" loaders like Buffalo Bore, all .44 Special commercial ammo from the major U.S. makers is loaded to SAAMI specs, which are really low. Even though a couple of loadings, like Winchester's Silvertip and Federal's lead SWC-HP, make a stab at modernity with their bullet designs, the pressure they are loaded to are the same pressure the traditional W-W and R-P 246 grain lead round nose is loaded to.

Retired Bum
February 21, 2017, 22:43
Here are some chronographed velocities for the .44 S&W Special round.

S&W Model 696 three inch barrel

Winchester 246 grain RNL - 665 fps
Winchester 200 grain STHP - 725 fps
Federal 200 gr LSWCHP - 827 fps

S&W Model 24-3 four inch barrel

Winchester 246 grain RNL - 690 fps
Winchester 200 grain STHP - 776 fps
Federal 200 grain LSWCHP - 841 fps

S&W Model 24-3 6.5 inch barrel

Winchester 246 grain RNL - 700 fps
Winchester 200 grain STHP - 790 fps
Federal 200 grain LSWCHP - 923 fps

I chronographed all of the above rounds in the three different barrel lengths on the same day. As can be seen the two Winchester factory loads are quite tame. The Federal 200 grain LSWCHP gave considerably higher velocity and this would be my load of choice if I chose standard pressure ammunition.

And so it goes.

The Retired One