michael_g927
February 04, 2017, 18:48
Who made a forged frame/slide hipower?

Andy the Aussie
February 04, 2017, 19:03
You mean besides FN ?

M90A1
February 04, 2017, 19:46
All FN/Browning Hipowers were forged until '93-'94 when they started casting the frames. FEGs were all forged, I believe. Could be wrong about that.

Retired Bum
February 06, 2017, 16:22
FN decided to offer the Mark III HP in .40 S&W caliber. But they soon learned that the forged Mark III frame would not hold up with steady use of .40 S&W. So they went to the cast frame which did. I have a cast frame .40 Mark III made in 1994.

FN dropped production of the forged frame for the 9mm Mark III and now all HP's made by FN have cast frames.

All of the FEG clones of the older Mark II HP used forged frames. The Charles Daly HP clone made by Armscor in the P.I. also had a forged frame. Ditto the Arcus 94 made in Bulgaria.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

STGThndr
February 27, 2017, 11:03
Seems strange to me (given conventional wisdom) that a CAST frame would be stronger than a forged frame... anyone know why this is? Is this the case with ALL castings or just castings done in a certain way? I know that Ruger has a rep for strong cast frames (and slides?)...
The idea of a .40 HP has appealed to me in the past but one thing or another being the case have not acted upon it and decided to save up for a Block 10mm.

DK
February 28, 2017, 21:25
Visual guide with info regarding forged/cast

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/does_my_hi_power_have_a_forged_or%20cast%20frame.h tm