PDA

View Full Version : Fools running mouths on Pete Kokalis ??

brad1
February 04, 2017, 16:30
Pete forgot more about weapons than anyone!!
I followed him for what seemed a million years..
So for the goofs slammin him you better wake up!
You couldnt walk in his shoes , which have been in dangerous places all over world !! Only pus-ys will jaw about him!! .....

TnHawk-45
February 04, 2017, 17:37
And if you didn't believe he knew more than EVERYBODY about EVERYTHING all you had to do was ask him and he would have told you how great he was.

In person he was one of the most egotistical assholes to ever walk the earth!

Man wrote some good stuff, but he almost got a few friends of mine killed in Honduras with his I am perfect BS!

If you are one of the kool aid drinkers that is fine and good for you. Those of us who actually knew him are allowed our opinions as well.

tdb59
February 04, 2017, 17:41
And if you didn't believe he knew more than EVERYBODY about EVERYTHING all you had to do was ask him and he would have told you how great he was.

True.

TnHawk-45
February 04, 2017, 17:42
BTW, who exactly are the 'fools' and where are they even talking about him?

Andy the Aussie
February 04, 2017, 18:39
You couldnt walk in his shoes , which have been in dangerous places all over world !! Only pus-ys will jaw about him!! ..... ..... ummmmm do you know him ?? I mean personally ?? As in met, talked, shared experiences ? I am not talking about saying "howdy" at a public event either but meaningful exchange. If not then for the most part he is somewhat of a "fictional character" to you. I do not men that he does not exist, but in so far as you only get to see the persona and "version" put forward in print and the occasional DVD, like an actor playing a part for example. The reality is often a very very different thing.

There is no question that he is a polarising figure. There are several people here now and in the past who are/were personally acquainted with him both professionally and socially, they have a view on his personality that I will defer to as I have not been afforded and opportunity to make my own definitive judgement.

There is no doubt that he possesses a significant amount of historical and technical knowledge, some his own and some gleaned from others and professed as his own, on the later I do have some related experience of this, but that is from 25yrs ago now. I do not personally know the man to make a judgement beyond what he himself has written and others have said, but may I suggest you not blindly follow and worship at the shrine of a person you can make no first hand judgement of - either good or bad.

I would however point out that there are in fact MANY people here who have in fact spent MUCH more time in "dangerous places" as ACTIVE participants than Mr K did partaking in what was mostly adventure tourism for SOF Magazine.

Likewise calling people YOU also DO NOT know pussies, goofs etc etc online only serves to make you yourself look foolish and incapable of independent thought and judgement.

SPEEDGUNNER
February 04, 2017, 19:26
Years ago I bought a rifle from Peter, it had been featured in an article he did in Soldier of Fortune. He had the same confident arrogance we see from our friend Gunplumber, but it comes from knowing your $hit and not being afraid to let people know you know it. I found him to be nothing but a gentleman in his dealing, the rifle was better than described, and he supplied plenty of provenance along with the rifle when he sent it to me.

So what occurred to initiate this thread???

Beryl
February 04, 2017, 20:07

Man wrote some good stuff, but he almost got a few friends of mine killed in Honduras with his I am perfect BS!

If you are one of the kool aid drinkers that is fine and good for you. Those of us who actually knew him are allowed our opinions as well.

True, but the man knows his shit. I've talked to him several times in person. He's a crotchety old fucker and a bit narcissistic, but he's got the cred for it.

slavicshooter
February 04, 2017, 20:45
You couldnt walk in his shoes , which have been in dangerous places all over world !! Only pus-ys will jaw about him!! .....

What precipitated your OP, and why in the AK section of the FalFiles? I really don't see how much more Mr. Kokalis could opine about the venerable AK47, but I'm not very smart, nor familiar with the "platform". My limited knowledge of the AK47 says that THE MUTHAFUİKER WORKS!!! And with that children, you are dismissed.:)~ssİ

John Crusher
February 04, 2017, 21:45
Who is he and why does he matter ?
I guess he's somebody special ?
Is he better than anyone else ?
:confused:

TnHawk-45
February 05, 2017, 01:19
Who is he and why does he matter ?
I guess he's somebody special ?
Is he better than anyone else ?
:confused:

The man used to write for Soldier of Fortune and Shotgun News. I say 'used' to as he is dead now.

Yes he could be personable when he was selling something, but if you ever been with him in the field you wanted to stay as far away from him as you could. Knew guns, yes. Tactical KNOWLEDGE, NO!

When in the field, it was mostly in the rear with the gear. Front lines even a mile or more away......well lets just say it made him VERY nervous.

I will give him one thing, he had a nice deuce and a half camper. It was his idea of roughing it.

paulo
February 05, 2017, 06:16
When did he die?

munchoman
February 05, 2017, 06:37
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/peter-kokalis-obituary?pid=1000000183675702

gunplumber
February 05, 2017, 11:34
I knew Peter for over 20 years, and worshiped him for a decade before that. The reality was a let down.

He wasn't all that and a bag of chips. He was really good at promoting himself, and he had very good access. But his "knowledge" was largely copying whatever the factory data sheet said. His actual understanding of the mechanics of the firearms he wrote about was so poor as to leave me baffled - I could not understand how he could write so vociferously on the M60 (for example) and be unable to set one up on the shop floor without help. T&E? Yeah, those dials mean stuff, Peter. No Peter, that's not how a 1911 works. I was just starting out in my career. How could one of my heroes be so ignorant?

His "exploits" were largely in his imagination (a stay at the Hilton is not a "combat tour"). I have customers who handled his camera work in Yugoslavia and elsewhere, so while the stories from them are heresay, they matched my perceptions too well to be fictitious. He did some useful shit in the 80s - nothing but respect for that.

But he was not a scholar, nor even a particularly careful researcher. His articles were little more than cut & pasted sales brochures. He never met a free product he didn't love, and he was neither a nice person, nor an honest one. And his passing doesn't change that.

His father left a bigger legacy in Phoenix anyway. George (Star PD) worked for his grocery business in Chicago. http://www.l100.org/Default.aspx?tabid=135

paulo
February 05, 2017, 13:18
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/peter-kokalis-obituary?pid=1000000183675702

Thanks for sharing.^^^^^

def90
February 05, 2017, 13:21
SO... what exactly started this again? and why is this in the AK forum? :WTF:

gunplumber
February 05, 2017, 14:33

I don't know - we already know Brad1 is full of shit, and an illiterate fool*. But I'm not sure what the relationship is to AKs.

*My newest imbel para All day long will shoot 1 moa @100 yrds!!!!

Everety fal i ever built wouls shoot 3 shot 1" groups at 100 yards open sights, ive built prob 50 stgs,
There alot more acurate with shorter barrels My newest Imbel has 16" barrel 3 days ago i shot 5 new targets
5 shot , 1moa at 100 .....

You need ta do trigger, sight,headspace , basicly hand tune,,,, I use stock fal sights, but , there lose, so need ta snug tight,, and i was happy ta see 16" barrel best yet,, i use surplus ppu 7.62..

yellowhand
February 05, 2017, 14:46
Anyone know what his actual military service background was?

SAFN49
February 05, 2017, 16:14

"After graduation I went into the U.S. Army and enlisted as a "Regular" to get into the Signal Corps. I became a photo instructor at Fort Monmouth, New Jersey, and then volunteered for technical intelligence and "wet affairs" in Cambodia. There was no photography associated with this latter work. When I returned to the states I was sent to Fifth Army Headquarters in Chicago. There I became the Chief Photographer and head of the photo lab. During the late 1950s and early 1960s the U.S. Army Signal Corps still depended largely upon the 4X5 Pacemaker Speed Graphic."

:rofl:

MAINER
February 05, 2017, 16:43

Yeah, REMF, 1st Class.

Wouldn't do to go down the river with from the sound of him. Didn't know the man, got no angst with him, just never cared much for most so called SOF types.

RIP

JerrySexton
February 05, 2017, 17:16

Maybe it's got something to do with him getting snubbed over on AK Files. :uhoh:

yellowhand
February 05, 2017, 19:24
"After graduation I went into the U.S. Army and enlisted as a "Regular" to get into the Signal Corps. I became a photo instructor at Fort Monmouth, New Jersey, and then volunteered for technical intelligence and "wet affairs" in Cambodia. There was no photography associated with this latter work. When I returned to the states I was sent to Fifth Army Headquarters in Chicago. There I became the Chief Photographer and head of the photo lab. During the late 1950s and early 1960s the U.S. Army Signal Corps still depended largely upon the 4X5 Pacemaker Speed Graphic."

:rofl:

:WTF: so this fellow created this crap between:shots: and spewed his :bullcrap: far and wide?

ok.:sad:

bulletslap
February 05, 2017, 20:09
I have skimmed a few of his articles in Shotgun News, did know much about him, I was surprised to learn he was at least 10 years older than I would have guessed.

The only gun writer I can think of off the top of head, that had serious combat credentials was Col. George and his book "Shots Fired in Anger".

Edited to add HW McBride also.

J. Armstrong
February 05, 2017, 20:28

So why should we place more value on your assessment than on what the majority of knowledgable folks here say ? Legit question, would like to know your bonafides and how you reached your conclusion.Can't promise to be convinced, but I'm willing to hear what you have to say.

medicmike
February 05, 2017, 20:41
So the OP drops a turd and leaves? Interesting....

yellowhand
February 05, 2017, 21:09
So the OP drops a turd and leaves? Interesting....

His page says he wrote and posted this, then signed out and ain't been back since.
Maybe he put all of us on ignore?:rofl:

Jarhead504
February 05, 2017, 21:45
If you are one of the kool aid drinkers that is fine and good for you.

Wait! "Kool Aid" or "FLAVOR AID", Jim Jones' victims used Flavor Aid.

We need to keep this straight.

Jarhead

TenTea
February 06, 2017, 07:38
Wait! "Kool Aid" or 'FLAVOR AID", Jim Jones' victims used Flavor Aid.

Jarhead

Flavor Flav loves Flavor Aid, as evidenced by the following photograph.

http://jessicasimien.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/miley-cyrus-flava-flav.jpg

lew
February 06, 2017, 12:29
Wait! "Kool Aid" or 'FLAVOR AID", Jim Jones' victims used Flavor Aid.

Jarhead

Both Kool Aid and Flavor Aid were present at Jonestown, so it was likely both were used.

Texgunner
February 06, 2017, 12:39
Flavor Flav loves Flavor Aid, as evidenced by the following photograph.

http://jessicasimien.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/miley-cyrus-flava-flav.jpg

Ol' Flav just loves him some white skank...:smile:

yellowhand
February 06, 2017, 14:55
Ol' Flav just loves him some white skank...:smile:

Yea, that one be well used for damn sure!:uhoh:

TnHawk-45
February 06, 2017, 19:15
Well I went over to the AK files and could not find anyone even talking about Kokalis.

Anyone even have a hint where the OP got his panties in a wad?

J. Armstrong
February 06, 2017, 19:51
Well I went over to the AK files and could not find anyone even talking about Kokalis.

Anyone even have a hint where the OP got his panties in a wad?

I misguided wet dream ????? Apparently he finished and is now back in hiding afraid to come back and explain his major malfunction or back up his opening statement. Perhaps he was driven off by Mark's well documented assessment of his literacy skillz !!!!!! Or else he is now too busy building even MORE StGs :)

yellowhand
February 06, 2017, 20:11
Genghis forgot more about weapons than anyone!!
So for the goofs slamming him you better wake up!
You couldn't walk in his shoes , which have been in dangerous places all over world !!
Only pus-ys will jaw about him!! .....

ftierson
February 06, 2017, 20:58
I misguided wet dream ????? Apparently he finished and is now back in hiding afraid to come back and explain his major malfunction or back up his opening statement. Perhaps he was driven off by Mark's well documented assessment of his literacy skillz !!!!!! Or else he is now too busy building even MORE StGs :)

Takes a lot of concentration to get those consistent 1" groups at 100 yards with all 100 of your iron-sighted StG-58s... :)

Forrest

medicmike
February 07, 2017, 01:04
:facepalm::homerdoh::homerdoh::homerdoh: Made the mistake of reading his past posts.....:homerdoh:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f9/76/7e/f9767ed57d632e0f4d900e707058058a.jpg

yellowhand
February 07, 2017, 01:51
:facepalm::homerdoh::homerdoh::homerdoh: Made the mistake of reading his past posts.....:homerdoh:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f9/76/7e/f9767ed57d632e0f4d900e707058058a.jpg

Bored, now ya got me checking them out, dang you!

John Crusher
February 07, 2017, 07:26
Thanks for the info. Mark and all.
I vaguely remember reading what I thought was a douche bag article in Shotgun News on the M60 and how the Author said how much a POS it was. It seemed to me he was not a PIG gunner, I was and knew mine very well so I dismissed it for what it was. Just a poorly written and researched article.

TnHawk-45
February 07, 2017, 09:09
It was related to a M-60 in Honduras that almost got a couple of my friends killed. Kokalis tried to be the know all, do all with the Contras. He wound up getting his ass run out of the country by those he almost got killed.

Man did know which end the bullets were supposed to come out of with a M-60, but that was about it!

wanneroo
February 07, 2017, 10:22
Didn't know he had died. Some of his articles in Shotgun/Firearms News had some good information in them and good pics but often I'd have to skip over when he always veered into bragging about his time in Yugo or El Salvador. Anyone that has to talk that much about it is probably full of chit.

Sounds like he has one hell of a machine gun collection so his heirs will either enjoy them or enjoy selling them off for big money.

J. Armstrong
February 07, 2017, 10:35
I enjoyed some of his early SOF articles, primarily because I was a relative noob and his technical descriptions were well written and concise. The "adventure" side of the articles was always suspect, however :D

gunplumber
February 07, 2017, 11:48
Thanks for the info. Mark and all.
I vaguely remember reading what I thought was a douche bag article in Shotgun News on the M60 and how the Author said how much a POS it was. It seemed to me he was not a PIG gunner, I was and knew mine very well so I dismissed it for what it was. Just a poorly written and researched article.

Yeah, that was the deal. I was a 60 gunner in the Rangers so when he brought one into the shop I was working at (and him being my hero and all), I was all over it. He tried to show me how to set it - while standing. I was trying to explain to him that one cannot be standing when people are shooting at you - and proceeded to show him how to lay it in and do barrel changes from prone. And why I kept the T&E snap-linked to my harness. And then, unfortunately, how to use a T&E for night night fire, what a FPF was, what "defilide and enfilade" meant, etc. If my youth had not been spent worshiping him, perhaps my let-down when I discovered what a douchebag he was in reality, would not have been as great.

He was the one I had in mind when I coined the phrase "gunwriter whore", although a couple other big names of the time joined my list, when they approached me for free work under the vague promise of "writing an article about me."

I did a couple articles with Peter - I'm on the cover of one of his books (without permission) and in some articles, but the guy was a nightmare to deal with.

He was a good shot, I'll give him that. I'm a pretty good shot (and was a lot better back then with younger eyes), but when we were doing the article on the Accuracy International sniper rifle, he did beat me soundly in the accuracy department. Yeah, that's me behind the rifle in the article. It was when he said "well, that's because of my twenty-one combat tours in El Salvador" that I almost threw up.

Later, I asked him, with all the new information available, why was he just reprinting his old articles with all the same errors from the originals? His look was like a deer in the headlights.

Finally, I decided that I really didn't give a shit what he "could do for my career" and cut ties. Culminating with him butting in front of me in line at SAR where I was waiting for Dolf to sign one of his Browning books. I opted not to be displaced and told him to back off. At which time he pointed a shaking finger (he was very ill, insulin dependent diabetes I believe) at me and said "y-y-you gotta watch out for that one . .. he's got a hair trigger .. . ." It was hilarious.

Now that being said, some of my other friends and customers worked with him in the 80s during the Contradora events, and have nothing but praise for the work he did behind the scenes to help support the rebels. As with anyone, he had a "complex" personality and career.

def90
February 07, 2017, 21:03
Interesting...

Brad1 seems to have a Kokalis man crush..

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297160

SAFN49
February 07, 2017, 22:38
G3isme for the win on the ak files.

ftierson
February 07, 2017, 22:51
I really liked the cocaine comment... :)

Forrest

SAFN49
February 08, 2017, 00:12
My little fat buddy Mikey and the pig in barracks

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg547/djm540/Mikey%20and%20the%20pig_zpsxzs0nuts.jpg (http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/djm540/media/Mikey%20and%20the%20pig_zpsxzs0nuts.jpg.html)

back in the day.

gunplumber
February 08, 2017, 08:11
They drew first blood, not me.

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/wp/m60-chris-rambo.jpg

TenTea
February 08, 2017, 08:47
^^^ Lookee them bloused blue jeans! :cool:

Lookee this blue blouse!

http://pre07.deviantart.net/1a95/th/pre/i/2012/003/a/1/elastic_acrylic_nude_pants_silk_chiffon_blouse_by_ homni-d4l7goh.jpg

yellowhand
February 08, 2017, 10:11
They drew first blood, not me.

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/wp/m60-chris-rambo.jpg

:bow::bow::bow:

I needed a good laugh this morning, could not sleep last night!

This "bad man" has never seen what happens to exposed skin tissue when steel and brass contacts it after being heated in direct sunlight for a short while, for him, someone should point out that touching exposed metal left in the sun for a short time results in BURNS!

His boots will allow everything to fall into them, ain't going far on them bloody feet.

No water, no kit, gas mask would not seal with that man bush on his ugly mug, smoking in wartime will get you killed, he would be sunburned in under 30 minutes in a hot climates, etc.

No belt, pants are ill fitting, will fall down to his knees first time he needs to move 100 yards, elbows not covered, no gloves, no bug juice, will get eaten alive first night out and will sleep cold, wet, and hungry, if he does not die of thirst first. :uhoh:

No tools for the pig, no cleaning kit, no spare barrel, no way to clear a hot stoppage,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

But damn, he "looks" kool!

Is that too harsh a critique?:)

gunplumber
February 08, 2017, 10:42
Geez, Paul, my friend Chris and I waz jest playin' in my back yard. No need to get all anallicktital an shit.

Is this more "appropriate?"

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/wp/army/197-florida-01-crop-01.jpg

And no pig, but had just finished a 3-man fighting position for the pig (with overhead cover). It was weekend extra duty punishment for having my gun team put on ponchos during a thunderstorm without permission - even Rangers can be chickenshit. I figured the offense would be NOT putting on rain gear. But I guess being cold and wet is more macho.

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/wp/army/ranger-misc-65.jpg

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/wp/army/ranger-misc-67.jpg

yellowhand
February 08, 2017, 10:54
Geez, Paul, my friend Chris and I waz jest playin' in my back yard. No need to get all anallicktital an shit.

Sorry, the old grumpy hard case senior NCO came out totally non filtered, he does that from time to time!:eek:

Ain't my fault, "them BAD people" trained me this way.:uhoh::rofl:

That is one fine looking individual and the pig ain't bad either!:wink::love:

yellowhand
February 08, 2017, 11:00
""And no pig, but had just finished a 3-man fighting position for the pig (with overhead cover). It was weekend extra duty punishment for having my gun team put on ponchos during a thunderstorm without permission - even Rangers can be chickenshit. I figured the offense would be NOT putting on rain gear. But I guess being cold and wet is more macho.""

Yea, them school people are chicken shit most days!
Cold and wet ain't nothing but cold and wet.

Used to take me months to beat that "school shit" out of them when former academy/training instructors showed up as replacements, some never could adjust to reality.:facepalm:

gunplumber
February 08, 2017, 11:52
That is one fine looking individual and the pig ain't bad either!

Actually, that's my buddy with the M60, I swapped out with him to blow a wire obstacle because he wasn't comfortable with demo (neither am I, but I consider discomfort with explosives to be a good thing). I'm the one with the timed fuse and bangalore torpedo. I guess you can say I'm also carrying and M60. An M60 Weatherproof Fuse Ignitor.

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/attachments/Igniter_2.jpg

J. Armstrong
February 08, 2017, 13:15

And no pig, but had just finished a 3-man fighting position for the pig (with overhead cover). It was weekend extra duty punishment for having my gun team put on ponchos during a thunderstorm without permission - even Rangers can be chickenshit. I figured the offense would be NOT putting on rain gear. But I guess being cold and wet is more macho.

Question, so which one of these is brad1 ?

Answer, the one not in the picture :D

TnHawk-45
February 08, 2017, 14:00
Any chance Brad1 is really another incarnation of 'Gunkid'?

It looks like his kind of shit storm. Same lousy spelling also.

February 08, 2017, 18:18
Actually, that's my buddy with the M60, I swapped out with him to blow a wire obstacle because he wasn't comfortable with demo (neither am I, but I consider discomfort with explosives to be a good thing). I'm the one with the timed fuse and bangalore torpedo. I guess you can say I'm also carrying and M60. An M60 Weatherproof Fuse Ignitor.

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/attachments/Igniter_2.jpg

Thanks gunplumber, between your post and the other photos, brought back many fond memories. 7 1/2 yrs infantry, wasn't a pig gunner, mortarman. Did get a chance to fire the pig on a few occasions.:biggrin: Then my last 12 plus in EOD. You provide good cover I'll do your demo.:wink:

I enjoyed a lot of Kokalis' articles but there was an air of arrogance/holier than thou that usually came through too.

Mebsuta
February 08, 2017, 19:01
He was part of the paramilitary scene for a long time. I remember him from SOF. If you were at Waldenbooks or B. Dalton and wanted to know about guns, that's what there was.

I think he once used the words Chicom and Combloc in the same sentence, which is awesome.

I also think diabetes eventually kills you, so if he lived to be 82 with that condition he was pretty tough.

Jarhead504
February 08, 2017, 20:30
Both Kool Aid and Flavor Aid were present at Jonestown, so it was likely both were used.

That's the first time I've ever hear BOTH were used. I know a lot of them were just shot for trying to escape. IIRC, the "weapon of choice" (as the media marxists likes to say) was the Mighty Mini-14!

He used boff? Hmmmm......

Jarhead

yovinny
February 09, 2017, 09:41
If it wasent for Bob Brown, Pete would have been a nobody...And anyone who thinks he was the greatest thing since sliced bread, never spent any time with him.
His nephew Alex Kokalis on the other hand, was a great guy and a true friend who left us way too young...:(

ddbtoth
February 09, 2017, 22:13
Yea, that one be well used for damn sure!:uhoh:

Ok, I should know this, who is she? The white one?

yellowhand
February 09, 2017, 23:23
Ok, I should know this, who is she? The white one?

That's Billy Ray Cyrus's little girl, Miley.

J. Armstrong
February 10, 2017, 08:15
That's Billy Ray Cyrus's little skank, Miley.

FIFY :biggrin:

Bug Tussell
February 10, 2017, 21:03
Pete forgot more about weapons than anyone!! Hell, I done forgot more about weapons than I can remember...

I followed him for what seemed a million years.. I'm sure I've read some of his stuff but can't name anything directly.

So for the goofs slammin him you better wake up! Pretty much do this every day. Some day I won't.

You couldnt walk in his shoes , Unless he wore a size 13 then you are prolly right on this one. which have been in dangerous places all over world !! Only pus-ys will jaw about him!! ..... Don't know him so can't jaw about him... anyways my Legos are calling me.

Mandaree36
February 10, 2017, 21:06

So the two giant ego's met....

"My twenty some odd tours" verse let me post a bunch of pictures back in the day, and than tell you what an egotistical asshole the other guy was.

I cannot resist pointing out the irony of it all....

Only thing.....when Old Pete died, a lot of people paid attention and showed their respects...

Ymmv....

Now I realize why I only generally hit the MP on the mothership.....

SAFN49
February 10, 2017, 22:39
So the two giant ego's met....

"My twenty some odd tours" verse let me post a bunch of pictures back in the day, and than tell you what an egotistical asshole the other guy was.

Only thing.....when Old Pete died, a lot of people paid attention and showed their respects...

Ymmv....

Now I realize why I only generally hit the MP on the mothership.....

Pete never did 20 something tours. He was a piece of shit.

The only irony here is that you would stand up for a turd like him.

Mandaree36
February 10, 2017, 23:25

Actually I am pointing out the irony of it....

And it is ironic, a gent calls out a dead man out as a turd, and braggart.....than engages in the same chest thumping behavior - complete with some back in the day pics.....

If you cannot see the irony in that than perhaps you might want to step back from the gents ass - far enough - to see the big picture.

That said - One cannot compete with the dead - their worldly cares are gone, but do feel pity for those who try to compete with the dead...

And like it as not, a lot of people did respect old Pete's knowledge, stories, and so forth. That some didn't does not make it so...for the whole.

But hey....that's just reality.......

Sorry to have stepped on, and rubbed my boots, on anyone's altar....:|

slavicshooter
February 10, 2017, 23:50
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/slavicshooter/media/Screenshot_2016-03-03-21-32-07-1_zps49fekzze.jpg.html?sort=3&o=92
You "dirt-legged hippies" needed a bath.:rofl::lolsign::popcorn::salute:
~ssİ

J. Armstrong
February 11, 2017, 08:15
Actually I am pointing out the irony of it....

And it is ironic, a gent calls out a dead man out as a turd, and braggart.....than engages in the same chest thumping behavior - complete with some back in the day pics.....

If you cannot see the irony in that than perhaps you might want to step back from the gents ass - far enough - to see the big picture.

That said - One cannot compete with the dead - their worldly cares are gone, but do feel pity for those who try to compete with the dead...

And like it as not, a lot of people did respect old Pete's knowledge, stories, and so forth. That some didn't does not make it so...for the whole.

But hey....that's just reality.......

Sorry to have stepped on, and rubbed my boots, on anyone's altar....:|

So, there is, in your world, no difference between a professional braggart and someone who is just having some laughs, or posting pics of their ACTUAL SERVICE ? M'kay.

slavicshooter
February 11, 2017, 08:47
So, there is, in your world, no difference between a professional braggart and someone who is just having some laughs, or posting pics of their ACTUAL SERVICE ? M'kay.

:bow:Couldn't have said it better myself.:bow:~ssİ

gunplumber
February 11, 2017, 10:16

'zactly. Unless a "combat tour" was walking to the taxi from the Hilton. And it was 21.

There was so much fail in his "21 combat tours in El Salvador" assertion to me, during our photo shoot, as to irrevocably relegate him (in my view) to contemptuous irrelevance.

In light of my previous worship of the man, I think I am still suffering PTSD from the trauma of the event. Seriously. I hung on to every word he wrote from the the time I "discovered" SOF (and Gung Ho) in Junior High, through my own enlistment in the 80's. When I was developing into a technical expert on a number of guns - the galil and the FAL in particular, and began to expand my collection of source material, I started noting more and more discrepancies in his writings. Working with him in person, I learned why. He was not an honest man.

Not sure how Peter lying about his exploits and me taking a picture in my back yard, of my friend Chris hamming with an M60, are "ironic" in their equivalence, but Manadree has never been particularly sharp or insightful.

And like it as not, a lot of people did respect old Pete's knowledge, stories, and so forth

And some like me, who actually knew him, and had worked with him, knew his knowledge was comparatively limited, his stories were often made up, and his "so forth" was bullshit. Like Hillary "landing under sniper fire" in Bosnia, Peter had a vivid recollection of events that never had occurred.

Yes, there was sniper fire in Sarajevo when SOF went to deliver fire-fighting gear. But one of my customers who was also there with him, told me that Peter refused to leave his room - always had some "technical" thing he needed to do in safety, while others were going out as reporters and actually getting the news. Of course, that's second-hand info, but it aligns so exactly with my perception of the guy through personal experience, that I believe it entirely.

Mandaree36
February 11, 2017, 13:16

You gents can play it any way you wish, my lenses are not rose colored though.

My objective lenses show a gent who wants to extoll on the lacking of another, whilst quite oddly going into trumpeting his own knowledge, and posting pics of himself.

Ironic when one considers Kokalis........did the same....

If some are worried that is a dig, than they don't know what an observation is.

So there is that.

YMMV......

J. Armstrong
February 11, 2017, 17:23
You gents can play it any way you wish, my lenses are not rose colored though.

My objective lenses show a gent who wants to extoll on the lacking of another, whilst quite oddly going into trumpeting his own knowledge, and posting pics of himself.

Ironic when one considers Kokalis........did the same....

If some are worried that is a dig, than they don't know what an observation is.

So there is that.

YMMV......

Your lenses may not be colored, but you are due to have your prescrition checked, as apparently you have trouble differentiating between apples and oranges, viz, those who lie and those who don't.

Mandaree36
February 11, 2017, 19:26
Your lenses may not be colored, but you are due to have your prescrition checked, as apparently you have trouble differentiating between apples and oranges, viz, those who lie and those who don't.

Least I can still see, the same cannot be said for your blind following....and apparent need to engage in full suction mode on another's posterior.

The gent sounded off about how another did nothing but brag and throw around his travels.......than did the same thing.

It was pathetically ironic, but not nearly as pathetic as your incessant argumentative blathering.

As for lies, according to whom....those busy disparaging him whilst thumping their own chests. Sure. Ok. Must be gospel....:|

Laughable and sad, all at once.

SAFN49
February 11, 2017, 19:36
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/slavicshooter/media/Screenshot_2016-03-03-21-32-07-1_zps49fekzze.jpg.html?sort=3&o=92

That's one good looking slick sleeved badazz MF'er right there. :rofl:

Invictus77
February 11, 2017, 19:38
You "dirt-legged hippies" needed a bath.:rofl::lolsign::popcorn::salute:
~ssİ

:bow:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c118/slavicshooter/Screenshot_2016-03-03-21-32-07-1_zps49fekzze.jpg (http://s26.photobucket.com/user/slavicshooter/media/Screenshot_2016-03-03-21-32-07-1_zps49fekzze.jpg.html)

TnHawk-45
February 11, 2017, 20:38
Well for me I have never met Gunplumber, but I have also never heard anyone griping about one of his builds.

I do KNOW first hand how Kokalis screwed up both a M-60 and a Mag-58 in Honduras, that almost got some friends of mine killed. I am lucky in that I spent two hours today with my operations sgt when I commanded my Battalion. He and I first crossed paths in Honduras. When he got back in the states I got him in my command. He was also the main armorer for the CONTRAS. Right now he is the factory armorer in the US for Anschutz and Walther.

That good enough creds for you Kokalis Koolaid drinkers?

tdb59
February 11, 2017, 20:50
I still can recall the sight of PGK stomping across the demo area at the S.O.F. shoot at Desert Sportsman Range.

Hunched over like Charles Montgomery Burns, followed by his 2 teen minions, and spouting epithets at whatever rankled him at the moment.

Entertaining, to a degree.

Or a degree and 30 seconds, maybe.

Beryl
February 11, 2017, 21:27
I attended seven SOF conventions and always found Kokalis entertaining at the range events, along with the heckler who was present at the demos. He always seemed willing to talk guns and answer questions I had, and I understand that it was probably part of his ego. One thing I remember was that he always seemed to be busy. I read SOF from 1979 to about 2002, and I always looked forward to his articles.

I'm surprised that you guys disagree with him about the M-60, as I found that some of his criticisms made sense. I wouldn't turn one down, but the lack of a carry handle on the barrel, a gas piston that is both part of the barrel and was required to be wired together, and some rather flimsy parts doesn't make it the best thing going. The M-240, PKM, and MG-3 are far superior. Just my opinion, though.

SAFN49
February 11, 2017, 21:40
Well for me I have never met Gunplumber, but I have also never heard anyone griping about one of his builds.

I do KNOW first hand how Kokalis screwed up both a M-60 and a Mag-58 in Honduras, that almost got some friends of mine killed. I am lucky in that I spent two hours today with my operations sgt when I commanded my Battalion. He and I first crossed paths in Honduras. When he got back in the states I got him in my command. He was also the main armorer for the CONTRAS. Right now he is the factory armorer in the US for Anschutz and Walther.

That good enough creds for you Kokalis Koolaid drinkers?

Not really following you. You are coming in fuked up and retarded. Are you saying Kokalis is still alive and working for Walther and Anschutz as an armorer????

Andy the Aussie
February 11, 2017, 21:55
Not really following you. You are coming in fuked up and retarded. Are you saying Kokalis is still alive and working for Walther and Anschutz as an armorer????.... your reading skills are inadequate today...he said his Ops Sgt is doing so NOT Peter K...:facepalm:

TnHawk-45
February 11, 2017, 22:03
Not really following you. You are coming in fuked up and retarded. Are you saying Kokalis is still alive and working for Walther and Anschutz as an armorer????

No, I am saying the Main Contra armorer named Mike E. is still alive and working for Walther and Anschutz after he ran Kokalis worthless ass out of Honduras.

While I take no joy in Kokalis being DEAD, it is not making me lose sleep over it.

While GP may be opinionated and a general pain in the ass for some folks, NONE of his weapons have almost killed folks by accident. For myself I respect his opinions about weapons. Until I know better I would not say the same for his bee keeping ability or any other facet of life.

Clear enough?

SAFN49
February 11, 2017, 22:16
.... your reading skills are inadequate today...he said his Ops Sgt is doing so NOT Peter K...:facepalm:

That tends to happen after a few adult beverages on a Saturday night...... :whiskey:

Invictus77
February 11, 2017, 22:27
That tends to happen after a few adult beverages on a Saturday night...... :whiskey:

Shit happens bro :wink:

slavicshooter
February 12, 2017, 00:00

I honestly don't know where or when that photo was taken. What's worse is I've got a magazine in the damn rifle. My brother puts that pic on Facebook every Marine Corps birthday.:salute:~ssİ

yellowhand
February 12, 2017, 02:32
I honestly don't know where or when that photo was taken. What's worse is I've got a magazine in the damn rifle. My brother puts that pic on Facebook every Marine Corps birthday.:salute:~ssİ

Damn, and here I liked your sorry self, but a Marine, that crosses the line there buddy!!!!
A man must keep up his standards and is known by the company he keeps.:rofl:
We were young once, weren't we all.:eek:
Loved those C-Rat case openers on the front end of that smoke pole.:)
Not so much ham and lima beans though.:whistling:

gunplumber
February 12, 2017, 08:58
While GP may be opinionated and a general pain in the ass for some folks, NONE of his weapons have almost killed folks by accident. For myself I respect his opinions about weapons. Until I know better I would not say the same for his bee keeping ability or any other facet of life.

Hey there now . . ..

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/wp/msbees-03.jpg

(ok, I have no real bee keeping ability. I just keep lots of bok choy and basil plants around the garden to attract the bees. No interest in adding my own hive at this time. But my friend Darlene is an experienced bee-keeper and she has taught me a lot. And I didn't get stung even once. She ships starter hives all over the country. http://www.shadowwingsfarm.com/BeeMethod.html)

Good example though - a few pics, a suggestion of knowledge by association with those who are in the field, maybe a few key words - let people infer that GP is a master bee-keeper and do nothing to correct them. That was the PGK that I knew.

slavicshooter
February 12, 2017, 09:24
[QUOTE=gunplumber;4372383]Hey there now . . ..

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/wp/msbees-03.jpg

https://youtu.be/m9We2XsVZfc

Theme song.~ssİ:)

TnHawk-45
February 12, 2017, 10:58
GP, I honestly did not know you knew ANYTHING about bee keeping. Just used it as a ridiculous example. Instead I find out you do know enough NOT to get stung. I was not that smart. LOL

ftierson
February 12, 2017, 12:02
GP, I honestly did not know you knew ANYTHING about bee keeping. Just used it as a ridiculous example. Instead I find out you do know enough NOT to get stung. I was not that smart. LOL

:)

Forrest

yovinny
February 12, 2017, 21:44
I attended seven SOF conventions.

I worked the 90-96 convections...as one of Bob's black hat guns...
Or red or green,,,whatever color hats Donovan sprung for that year...
That was a good $$ gig for a week in vegas and met some great people...

gunplumber
February 13, 2017, 08:50

Then you were probably there where I said "f-ck this" at the live fire. I was down range and way outside the left limit in one of my ghillie suits, when asshats started spraying way outside the firing limit and all around my position. Not what I'd agreed to.

Lets see - that would have been back when the SHF Team Viper (Suicidal Hippie F-cks) kicked the shit out of all the SWAT Teams in the 3-gun, so Bob changed the time of the finals and made sure not to notify those long-haired creepy people of the new time. Wouldn't want such disreputable folks outshining the "heros".

gunners
February 13, 2017, 10:34
1977 Okinawa. Me 18 year Jarhead, slick sleeved, getting drunk at an NCO quarter's off base and he says "you are reading all the time look at these!" with that he hands me a stack of SOF's. Peter was the one that I thought was the bee's knees (hows that for keeping with the thread - I WAS a bee keeper for three years after the USMC - dealing with 60 or 70 million bee's at one time is a RUSH!) until the early 1980's when he was going south. The picture's told the story best. Clean, new cammies with no dirt! I remember looking at a picture of Peter and Captain Dye. One clown - one professional. He did take really cool pictures. Got rid of almost all my old SOF's but I still have every Gung Ho issue I ever bought including #1 (February 1981?). Jim Shultz rocked not so much with Brown except for publishing "150 Questions for a Guerilla" (thank him for that).

yovinny
February 13, 2017, 10:39
Then you were probably there where I said "f-ck this" at the live fire. I was down range and way outside the left limit in one of my ghillie suits, when asshats started spraying way outside the firing limit and all around my position. Not what I'd agreed to.

Lets see - that would have been back when the SHF Team Viper (Suicidal Hippie F-cks) kicked the shit out of all the SWAT Teams in the 3-gun, so Bob changed the time of the finals and made sure not to notify those long-haired creepy people of the new time. Wouldn't want such disreputable folks outshining the "heros".

LOL...Didnt pay attention to much going on at the range and usually wasent there for very long. I was mostly driving/security for personalities (Liddy, etc) and others in with Bob's kool kid crowd. Most range time was only with Donovan to help set up and wire any explosive demo, the range had it's own click of cadre...I dont know if Bob would have changed a time, the range cadre held a pretty tight fist to anything going on there....And fwiw, my impression and opinion of most of them, at least those 'higher up' with some say, wasent very high...ymmv

Cheers, YV

gunplumber
February 13, 2017, 15:15
LOL...Didnt pay attention to much going on at the range and usually wasent there for very long. I was mostly driving/security for personalities (Liddy, etc) and others in with Bob's kool kid crowd. Most range time was only with Donovan to help set up and wire any explosive demo, the range had it's own click of cadre...I dont know if Bob would have changed a time, the range cadre held a pretty tight fist to anything going on there....And fwiw, my impression and opinion of most of them, at least those 'higher up' with some say, wasent very high...ymmv

Cheers, YV

Yeah, I met the G-man there! Wild. It's weird to listen to a guy for years on talk radio and then meet him in person. Loved his "review of, and comment upon, the news."

That was the year I was set up next to John Ross and got his (medium) display poster of Unintended Consequences. I'm kicking myself for turning down the large, 6' tall one, 'cause I had no place to put it!

Got a write-up that year from some Tiawanese defense journal. My buddy was modeling one of the ghillie suits, and a group of foreign visitors thought he was a manikin. They posed with him and they he "hugged them" and they screamed!

It was also the year that my quasi-partner wrote a bad personal check on my letterhead to cover his expenses to get there, and when I found out, I cut ties with him and dropped the tactical first aid & back-country medical kits. Ever wonder why it's Arizona Response Systems? I had a long drive to come up with an "R" word to replace Arizona Rescue Systems / Practical Gunsmithing).

yovinny
February 13, 2017, 16:51
Yeah, I met the G-man there! Wild. It's weird to listen to a guy for years on talk radio and then meet him in person. Loved his "review of, and comment upon, the news."

That was the year I was set up next to John Ross and got his (medium) display poster of Unintended Consequences. I'm kicking myself for turning down the large, 6' tall one, 'cause I had no place to put it!

Got a write-up that year from some Tiawanese defense journal. My buddy was modeling one of the ghillie suits, and a group of foreign visitors thought he was a manikin. They posed with him and they he "hugged them" and they screamed!

It was also the year that my quasi-partner wrote a bad personal check on my letterhead to cover his expenses to get there, and when I found out, I cut ties with him and dropped the tactical first aid & back-country medical kits. Ever wonder why it's Arizona Response Systems? I had a long drive to come up with an "R" word to replace Arizona Rescue Systems / Practical Gunsmithing).

Fun times,,,:biggrin:
Yea, Liddy was a great down to earth guy, glad I got to meet and spend some time with him.
I missed those conventions for awhile after 96', but IIRC I heard 97' was the last official one.
Still, I miss seeing a lot of the people,,, lots I cant even put a name to anymore and my uncle that got me involved with that crowd (Crazy Richie Koziuk) died in 01'.
A bunch of the old time regulars, my boss Donovan included, went and still go and have a get together there every year. But everybody got old and their are fewer every year,,, down to just a hand full today.
And so it goes...

Cheers, YV

Beryl
February 14, 2017, 12:45

I went every year from 93 to 2000, which was the 25th and last one in Vegas. It was a big letdown when RKB announced it as the last. I think he was tired of the unions and their BS, plus some of the casinos didn't want us there. I also shot in four of the 3-gun matches and got to meet Jim Clark, Jr.

The expos were also pretty cool. I got to meet Carlos Hatchock, Randy Weaver, some of the Branch Davidians, Ernest Emerson, Lynn Thompson, and Al Mar's daughter Rae Anne.

I miss those days. I loved sitting by the pool at night and chatting with guys like Rob Krott, Phil Foley (aka Paul Fanshaw,) Rick Sherrow, Rich Davis (Second Chance) and a host of other characters. Those days were always the highlight of my year.

Story
February 15, 2017, 01:31
It was weekend extra duty punishment for having my gun team put on ponchos during a thunderstorm without permission - even Rangers can be chickenshit.

:confused: You gotta be excreting us. Exactly what twatwaffle pulled that mother-may-I?

gunplumber
February 15, 2017, 07:35
:confused: You gotta be excreting us. Exactly what twatwaffle pulled that mother-may-I?

The hazing and sadistic abuse was enough to make a college fraternity green with envy. It even generated a congressional investigation.

yovinny
February 15, 2017, 09:48
some of the casinos didn't want us there.
Al Mar's daughter Rae Anne.
I loved sitting by the pool at night and chatting

I know they had a big issue with we SOF security people being armed.
Casino's dont let anyone stay armed but their own people and LE's,,but we had an in with the old sheriff and would get sworn in as LV peace officers, so the casino couldent say a thing about it...

Rae Anne is a sweetheart :love: and Al was another great guy who went too early and is missed dearly by all who knew him...
One year Rae Ann had 2 guys hand rolling cigars at her side table,,no issue there, except there was no smoking allowed inside and the casino was giving staff a headache over the cigar smoking. One of the girls on the staff went to talk with them and came back balling in tears, so I had to go be a prick and throw the cigar people out....Felt bad I had to do that in front of her..

The pool at night was always fun :) ....except for the casino people's constant whining and bitching about outside alcohol that was against their rules...but none had the moxy to bitch at anyone except the staff girls...lol :tongue:

Glucker
February 22, 2017, 18:50
I never met him, but read his articles for 30 plus years and always found them informative. Of course they got redundant over the years, but still enjoyable and I looked forward to them. Especially as a young Cav Scout reading SOF and any other gun/military related material I could get my hands on.

So maybe he wasn't Omar Bradley; while I did my bit I wasn't super soldier of the century either. He served his country, he did more for the cause of freedom than most lazy, apathetic 'Mericans (who do nothing), I was sorry to read that he passed away.

Bonac9
February 22, 2017, 22:50
Ok, I've been passing over this thread for a week or so now when checking out the new post. I finally broke down and had to find out who Peter kokalis was, and what happened to stir this guy up so. I've come to the conclusion Brad1 must be an agent provocateur of the online gun forums. After his hit and run technique of posting here and on the AK Files, I decided he's either sitting back laughing his ass off at what he started, or he is a serious whacka doodle with issues. I also figure that I must be nuts as well as I read both threads trying to figure out which he is, and waiting to see if he reappeared.

March 05, 2017, 11:29
yanno, he was a WRITER, enough said.

we was not Colonel Charles Askins.

http://www.tactical-life.com/firearms/col-charles-askins/

gaijinsamurai
March 07, 2017, 14:44
He wasn't an egotistical "been there done that" blowhard, but the SOF writer I really liked was Steve Salisbury, who covered most of the Central America stories. I later got to know him while in Guatemala and El Salvador, and he didn't disappoint. A bit on the nerdy side, but a good guy.