PDA

View Full Version : Indian Timing Issue

OLDMANPBK
February 04, 2017, 00:53
So I'm bringing another 1A1 back to life. It's being built on a Coonan inch receiver that I purchased a year or so ago. I found a surprisingly nice barrel. I had tried a metric barrel in this receiver and it hand tightened right smack in the middle of the "Golden Triangle" so hopes were running high. I chased all the threads, blew out all the chips and screwed her in. It stopped at 7:00. :facepalm: Well I know what I gotta do now. I was just curious to see if any of you ran into this problem with Indian barrels.

meltblown
February 04, 2017, 08:38
Chips?

hkshooter
February 04, 2017, 09:03
^ Yeah, was wondering myself why if the barrel timed up nicely that he chased the threads. And what kind of chips? If there were substantial chips the receiver is likely screwed. No pun.

01BIRDDOG
February 04, 2017, 09:11
I have sure learned that using cheap taps that after using them resulted in out of spec. thread cut. Unsure if this is the case or not but for sure material was displaced resulting in the condition of yours.

meltblown
February 04, 2017, 09:14
^ Yeah, was wondering myself why if the barrel timed up nicely that he chased the threads. And what kind of chips? If there were substantial chips the receiver is likely screwed. No pun.

Dunno, He must have not been seated on the shoulder. Even if he increased something by tapping, I don't really see how he could change the shoulder to face dim

def90
February 04, 2017, 09:21
You guys, he tried a metric barrel which timed up nicely..

He is now trying to time an Indian barrel that he recut the threads on and is coming up short.. or maybe too far.

It's the nature of the beast with Indian parts. Figure out where you are at with headspace to determine if you need to or can take a little bit off the shoulder of the barrel.

meltblown
February 04, 2017, 09:30

He is now trying to time an Indian barrel that he recut the threads on and is coming up short.. or maybe too far.

It's the nature of the beast with Indian parts. Figure out where you are at with headspace to determine if you need to or can take a little bit off the shoulder of the barrel.

OH ok. See what you're saying. Yes, check the head space where you are now to make sure you don't go the wrong direction and end up with a weird locking shoulder dim. You will be moving the head space dim significantly if you shim and could end up with a large LS

hkshooter
February 04, 2017, 09:41

Ah, missed that. Now that I've had coffee and am looking at my computer vs the phone I can see that I'm the idiot. Apologies to the OP.

Aren't Indian rifles basically inch rifles? Needing a breeching washer?

def90
February 04, 2017, 09:45
Ah, missed that. Now that I've had coffee and am looking at my computer vs the phone I can see that I'm the idiot. Apologies to the OP.

Aren't Indian rifles basically inch rifles? Needing a breeching washer?

No, they do not use washers. They are actually cut with metric threads as well which is the reason why they need to be chased with a die.

OLDMANPBK
February 04, 2017, 11:20
I wish they would have used breeching washers. It's definitely timing short. There's still a good amount of room between the breech face and receiver. I'm interested to see what size LS I'll end up with. It'll all have to wait until I get to work on Monday, that's where all my cool tools are. I'll report back with the final results. OMP :fal:

tdb59
February 04, 2017, 11:32
I wish they would have used breeching washers. It's definitely timing short. There's still a good amount of room between the breech face and receiver. I'm interested to see what size LS I'll end up with. It'll all have to wait until I get to work on Monday, that's where all my cool tools are. I'll report back with the final results. OMP :fal:

Then use a breeching washer.

OLDMANPBK
February 04, 2017, 11:47
I'd like to keep it original if possible. It is a very nice barrel.

12v71
February 04, 2017, 15:18
I'd like to keep it original if possible. It is a very nice barrel.

If you have the tools, time it at 12:00 and check the headspace. That should tell you whether you need a breeching washer or need to turn the shoulder back. Indian rifles were a mish mash of parts so who knows?

OLDMANPBK
February 04, 2017, 16:25
I need to turn the shoulder back to time it at 12:00. Then I'll see if I have to turn the shoulder back more to accept the breeching washer. I think (hope) that once I get it to 12:00 every thing will be OK and I won't have to resort to funny size locking shoulders or further machining to get good headspace.

tdb59
February 04, 2017, 16:35
If you have the tools, time it at 12:00 and check the headspace. That should tell you whether you need a breeching washer or need to turn the shoulder back. Indian rifles were a mish mash of parts so who knows?

I need to turn the shoulder back to time it at 12:00. Then I'll see if I have to turn the shoulder back more to accept the breeching washer. I think (hope) that once I get it to 12:00 every thing will be OK and I won't have to resort to funny size locking shoulders or further machining to get good headspace.

Thread the barrel into the receiver to 12 O'clock. Remember that one revolution of the barrel equals .061" .

Use feeler gauges to check the gap between receiver face and barrel shoulder. At the same time, gauge headspace / locking shoulder dimension with pin gauges.
Compare the two measurements to verify what is required next. Do not machine any surfaces until this is done.

12v71
February 04, 2017, 16:38

Um... No. What I meant was back it off to 12 and see if you are in the ballpark before cutting anything. If it's over .270 turn the shoulder back, if its in the mid .250's you need a breeching washer.

12v71
February 04, 2017, 16:40
Thread the barrel into the receiver to 12 O'clock. Remember that one revolution of the barrel equals .061" .

Use feeler gauges to check the gap between receiver face and barrel shoulder. At the same time, gauge headspace / locking shoulder dimension with pin gauges.
Compare the two measurements to verify what is required next. Do not machine any surfaces until this is done.

Ok. You got there first.

OLDMANPBK
February 04, 2017, 16:45
Why I like this place. Thanks guys. Will do.

meltblown
February 04, 2017, 17:03
Um... No. What I meant was back it off to 12 and see if you are in the ballpark before cutting anything. If it's over .270 turn the shoulder back, if its in the mid .250's you need a breeching washer.

Yep.

OLDMANPBK
February 04, 2017, 20:52
OK. The following is with the barrel turned out from hand tight to 12:00. I am using a go gauge with double thumb pressure. The gap between the barrel shoulder and the receiver is .037. At this point a .295 pin will allow the bolt to lock. With a .030 shim on the bolt face a .278 pin will allow the bolt to lock.
When the barrel is hand tight against the receiver, with the front sight at 7:00 and about 1/3 of a revolution to go to 12:00 the bolt locks with a .273 pin. So it looks like I can make chips, and see where I am when I get to 12:00. Now I'm going to sit and drink :beer:. Feel free to chime in if I got it all ass backwards. Thanks!

meltblown
February 04, 2017, 22:18
Proceed with modifying the shoulder of the barrel. You should need about a .255 LS there abouts

12v71
February 04, 2017, 22:20
Proceed with modifying the shoulder of the barrel. You should need about a .255 LS there abouts

Yep.

meltblown
February 04, 2017, 22:38
Yep.

Never got the Indian thing. :biggrin: