PDA

View Full Version : Folding stock adapter

hkshooter
February 03, 2017, 20:35
Anyone use one of these?

http://www.lawtactical.com/ar_folding_stock_adapter_gen_3_m_p/99312.htm

Bertellione
February 04, 2017, 04:49
A family member has one, I don't remember if it's the same brand. To me it's pointless, because you can't fire the weapon with its closed. Lol ya it will still fire for a shot, I'm sure if you did it's going to mess something up. In my opinion if your going to be getting in and out of a car or truck and the collapsable stock is to long then choose a rifle designed for a folder. Some say it's so it can be transported in a shorter more compact case. To me its mall ninja gimmick but that's just my opinion. The one a family member has does lock up tight it just doesn't make since to me.

Riversidesports
February 04, 2017, 09:07
A family member has one, I don't remember if it's the same brand. To me it's pointless, because you can't fire the weapon with its closed. Lol ya it will still fire for a shot, I'm sure if you did it's going to mess something up. In my opinion if your going to be getting in and out of a car or truck and the collapsable stock is to long then choose a rifle designed for a folder. Some say it's so it can be transported in a shorter more compact case. To me its mall ninja gimmick but that's just my opinion. The one a family member has does lock up tight it just doesn't make since to me.

Pretty much in agreement
You likely can get full function with a .22 RF conversion though

hkshooter
February 04, 2017, 09:09
My thought is to store the rifle in a much smaller and discrete case rather than something that looks like a rifle case, without having to disassemble the rifle, which makes even less sense than simply folding the stock. If I'm ever in a situation where I need to come out of a car guns a blazing I've already FkT up and need to be dead anyway for pure stupidity.
My primary questions and concerns are with the quality and longevity of the item, not it's validity. I wasn't clear enough in the OP.

Bert762
February 04, 2017, 10:06
For what I think you want it for, it is perfect and what it is designed for. It is the exact reason I bought one. It locks up tight and goes into action quick. It is a hellava lot quicker to bring into action, than trying to put the two halves together if transpored that way. Now if you do not transport discretely in a small foot print, you do not need it. It works great for the way I transport that carbine, in a small bag and ready for action literally in a second, if not quicker.

hkshooter
February 04, 2017, 10:17
For what I think you want it for, it is perfect and what it is designed for. It is the exact reason I bought one. It locks up tight and goes into action quick. It is a hellava lot quicker to bring into action, than trying to put the two halves together if transpored that way. Now if you do not transport discretely in a small foot print, you do not need it. It works great for the way I transport that carbine, in a small bag and ready for action literally in a second, if not quicker.

Bingo, sounds good. The unit seems solid and very well made and I was surprised to learn it's made of steel vs aluminum.
Stopped into the LGS a few days ago and they were playing with one, I was instantly impressed with it, and I'm hard to impress. But it's not cheap so wanted input here before lighting fire to the funds.

Bert762
February 04, 2017, 10:51
Light the fire, I do not believe you will be disappointed.

ftierson
February 04, 2017, 11:44
It does look interesting. I think that I might pick one up to play with, my thinking exactly along the lines of hkshooter and Bert762.

Since I don't shoot those rifles I have with folding stocks with the stock folded anyway, that's not a problem for me... :)

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Forrest

ftierson
February 04, 2017, 12:01
Oops...

I just checked it at Brownell's and I don't think that I want to play with it for $220... :)

Just sayin'...

Forrest

2barearms
February 04, 2017, 13:27
Look up Dead Foot Arms. They have nice folding system that fires from the closed position.

hkshooter
February 04, 2017, 15:14
Oops...

I just checked it at Brownell's and I don't think that I want to play with it for $220... :)

Just sayin'...

Forrest

Yeah, it ain't cheap.

Light the fire, I do not believe you will be disappointed.

Thanks, I'm gonna.

Sparkey762
February 04, 2017, 15:40
+1 on the Dead Foot Arms MCS. It is kind of spendy but is high quality. A Shockwave Blade fits the tube perfectly also. It is harder to break down for cleaning and is a little wide when folded are the only down sides I've found.

JerrySexton
February 04, 2017, 17:04
Looks neat but weighs 10oz and you can't break the rifle down (you have to pull both pins). Costs more than another stamp. With all that in mind I'm out.

hkshooter
February 04, 2017, 20:05
Looks neat but weighs 10oz and you can't break the rifle down (you have to pull both pins). Costs more than another stamp. With all that in mind I'm out.

Which adapter?

Edit: Nevermind, figured it out.

paulb2112
February 04, 2017, 20:35
I have two and they are very well built. I'm not familiar with other unit but the gen 3 is rock solid.

hueyville
February 04, 2017, 22:56
If I need a short gun have a Ruger AC556 F clone made from a GB factory folder. Had factory original barrel removed, replacement barrel cut to 14" barrel (plus flash hider to get legal 16"), rechambered, set back and headspace plus the short Accu Strut added. Had little bit of trigfer work done and rifle shoots an honest 2 MOA at 100 yards but drops off much farther. With stock closed is 25.75" fires with stock closed and stock open is 36". Fine little rifle and keep meaning to do another out of basic Mini 14 rather than butcher my other Factory GB's.

I know that if converted an AR to a folder someone might pick up at range or one of my heirs and think it's o.k. to shoot folded. If had to access in a hurry unfolding the stock would be unnecessary time. The stock on a Ruger GB is as solid of a folder as need when weighed against how compact and snugly lays against stock. If need a short AR will do a pistol with SIG Brace or SBR. Need to dig the little Mini out and take to range just to shut up a couple of Ruger haters that say they won't shoot straight.