PDA

View Full Version : Need to finish off my 80% lower

Slaughter
January 29, 2017, 11:44
Looking at a PSA kit to finish a beater-type utility weapon. Want to make a pretty standard, utilitarian, collapsing stock, carbine-length rifle.

Anybody have issues with PSA?

Any experience with Adams piston system?

I haven't built an AR since early 1980s with an SGW lower (back when everything was available over the counter)

Sagerider
January 29, 2017, 12:15
Correct me if I am wrong but I am thinking that uppers and lowers are made by only a few companies and they engrave whatever their customer wants on them.

Slaughter
January 29, 2017, 12:34
Correct me if I am wrong but I am thinking that uppers and lowers are made by only a few companies and they engrave whatever their customer wants on them.

I have the lowers finished and ready for build. Likely will buy Palmetto kits to complete unless others' experience suggests otherwise.

ftierson
January 29, 2017, 13:03
I have the lowers finished and ready for build. Likely will buy Palmetto kits to complete unless others' experience suggests otherwise.

I have had great luck with the many PSA 'kits' that I have bought over the last few years.

The consensus is mostly that you'll be just fine if you stay away from their PTAC products (although many seem to be happy with them too). Personally, I stay away from the PTAC...

Forrest

GOVT1911
January 30, 2017, 14:16
I've built several rifles using PSA parts (including their PTAC line) and never had any problems with any of them. Their Customer Service is top notch, too.

Also check out Del-Ton for parts kits, again I've built several on their parts kits and individual parts and have zero complaints.

Slaughter
January 30, 2017, 16:53
Thanks all for the input. These will be nothing special, more like daily Shooters with collapsing stocks and carbine length barrels.

No accessories although I think I will miss the cup holder on the picatinny rail.

Slaughter
January 30, 2017, 18:48
Stupid question. Do any of you guys have any feel for the carbine length vs. Medium length gas tube on 16in barrel?

Perceived recoil? Reliability?

ftierson
January 30, 2017, 19:57
While I have never had any problems with the carbine length gas system, I now always opt for the mid-length system...

Forrest

Slaughter
January 30, 2017, 21:22
While I have never had any problems with the carbine length gas system, I now always opt for the mid-length system...

Forrest

This is what was my thinking - otherwise you're really dumping a lot more gas/energy/force into the bolt carrier group and have to take that energy out in heavier buffer, spring or whatever. I couldn't SEE an advantage to the shorter gas tube for the 16 inch barrel. Didn't know if I was missing something.

Probably call in and order a few this week.

Bertellione
January 30, 2017, 21:29
As far as PSA goes stay away from the stainless barrels even if they put them together, many people have had problems with the chambers. I use their upper end parts but stay away from the freedom parts. As far as Adams goes he has a great reputation but I would stay away from the non pinned gas block kits, a piston drive gas block has to be pinned. The mid length in my opinion is the way to go. The reasons for this is it won't beat up your rifle as bad if you run a standard buffer do to not being over gassed, you have more fore end to hold, longer sight radius. I can't think of any pros for the carbine length gas unles you are building a military clone.

Slaughter
January 30, 2017, 22:46
I'll settle on the Medium. This isn't a clone of anything. It'll be a knock-around gun.

I'll stay with gas tube and not piston so I have parts common to my other two AR-based rifles.

Good advice on the "Freedom" parts.

There's much to learn since the last one I built in early '80s! At least that one has the evil hammer and other jewelry.

ftierson
January 30, 2017, 22:59
Just to add a positive comment about the SS Freedom barreled kits, I have three of them (16in Stainless Freedom 1/7 barrel, mid-length gas system, standard M4 type handguards) and I am quite happy with them.. The bores and chambers are just fine, and they are quite accurate to boot...

Just sayin'...

Forrest

rowjimmy
January 31, 2017, 09:37
I'll settle on the Medium. This isn't a clone of anything. It'll be a knock-around gun.

I'll stay with gas tube and not piston so I have parts common to my other two AR-based rifles.

Good advice on the "Freedom" parts.

There's much to learn since the last one I built in early '80s! At least that one has the evil hammer and other jewelry.

I put together a freedom kit and thought the barrel had issues. Second time I took it to the range it was a tack driver. I'm assuming it and/or the optic just needed to settle in.

The freedom barrels are melonite coated, which is purportedly better than chrome lining for durability and, of course, accuracy.

I think the freedom kits are GTG for a budget AR. Their premium uppers/barrels shoot no better IMO.

lysanderxiii
January 31, 2017, 15:13
As far as PSA goes stay away from the stainless barrels even if they put them together, many people have had problems with the chambers. I use their upper end parts but stay away from the freedom parts. As far as Adams goes he has a great reputation but I would stay away from the non pinned gas block kits, a piston drive gas block has to be pinned. The mid length in my opinion is the way to go. The reasons for this is it won't beat up your rifle as bad if you run a standard buffer do to not being over gassed, you have more fore end to hold, longer sight radius. I can't think of any pros for the carbine length gas unles you are building a military clone.
Never had any problem with a set screw gas block, even in a piston kit.

And, if you dimple the barrel, there really is nothing to worry about, it's not going anywhere.

michael_g927
February 01, 2017, 08:20
Mid length for sure. I use an Adam's piston on my midlength 7.62x39 AR. Very reliable. NEVER had the non pinned gas block move. EVER. Cody at Adam's is awesome. He really helped me get the rifle dialed in even though their piston kit was never intended to be used in a 7.62x39 rifle.
It's my favorite rifle to shoot.

Bertellione
February 02, 2017, 07:41
Just to add a positive comment about the SS Freedom barreled kits, I have three of them (16in Stainless Freedom 1/7 barrel, mid-length gas system, standard M4 type handguards) and I am quite happy with them.. The bores and chambers are just fine, and they are quite accurate to boot...

Just sayin'...

Forrest

I think it's a hit and miss on the ss barrels. My grandfather has built three using the ss barrels all three hold good groups. However 2 of the 3 he had to clean the chambers with a finishing reamer. When a reamer costs over 100$ to get them to function correctly and safe the deal you thought you were getting turns out not to be that great. Because of that I would not recommend them, but others like your self got lucky and got inspec chambers.

ftierson
February 02, 2017, 11:43
I think it's a hit and miss on the ss barrels. My grandfather has built three using the ss barrels all three hold good groups. However 2 of the 3 he had to clean the chambers with a finishing reamer. When a reamer costs over 100$ to get them to function correctly and safe the deal you thought you were getting turns out not to be that great. Because of that I would not recommend them, but others like your self got lucky and got inspec chambers.

I have no doubt that there has been (perhaps still is) a problem with some of the SS barrels. 4x401 has also talked about the chamber problems that he has seen with some of them.

I'm assuming that we're talking about the 16in SS 1/7 (they also have a 1/8) midlength barrels. Were the chamber problems that you're talking about 'just' roughness problems, or some kind of dimensional problem(s)? Can you remember about when he picked up the barrels? I'm wondering if there's a pattern in time about the crappy chamber problem, or whether it's a more general problem with the barrel supplier.

Although I do have access to chambering reamers and it wouldn't cost be any dollars to fix a rough chamber, I'd still be pissed if I got one in a new barrel, if you catch my drift...

Thanks for the info...

Forrest

PS I haven't picked up any more of these barrels since 4x401 has talked about the chamber problems either. Just sayin'...

Bertellione
February 02, 2017, 14:31
I have no doubt that there has been (perhaps still is) a problem with some of the SS barrels. 4x401 has also talked about the chamber problems that he has seen with some of them.

I'm assuming that we're talking about the 16in SS 1/7 (they also have a 1/8) midlength barrels. Were the chamber problems that you're talking about 'just' roughness problems, or some kind of dimensional problem(s)? Can you remember about when he picked up the barrels? I'm wondering if there's a pattern in time about the crappy chamber problem, or whether it's a more general problem with the barrel supplier.

Although I do have access to chambering reamers and it wouldn't cost be any dollars to fix a rough chamber, I'd still be pissed if I got one in a new barrel, if you catch my drift...

Thanks for the info...

Forrest

PS I haven't picked up any more of these barrels since 4x401 has talked about the chamber problems either. Just sayin'...

He bought those a year to year and a half ago. All three of his are mid 16" and 18" barrels.