PDA

View Full Version : Beautiful Day on the Oregon Coast

medicmike
January 26, 2017, 17:39
Wifey is doing the travel/contract nursing gig....she is working in Florence, Oregon for a bit (maybe permanently) she found a great little beach house to rent for a few months and I now have a cool place to spend the weekends :)

Drove over today, some clouds, light wind and 58 deg.....beautiful day!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/medicmike/20170126_142626.jpg

croftonaviation
January 27, 2017, 08:32
Not a bad view to wake up to every morning.

lew
January 27, 2017, 12:24
I love the PNW coastline. Spent a night at Kalaloch Lodge in WA. Beautiful view and it was great to run around the beach littered with enormous pieces of driftwood.

Tailback
January 28, 2017, 11:50
The Oregon Coast is a beautiful place if you have a job. Otherwise it's a great place to leave. I spent 20 years growing up there, but had to leave for a job.

I miss it sometimes, especially the crazy good bounty from the ocean.

Enjoy your stay, it looks great.

Bawana jim
January 28, 2017, 11:55
Worked a sawmill rebuild contract out of Gardner Oregon but stayed in my trailer near the beach at Winchester bay. Better than any city I have been to and that time of life was one of the best times I have had.

medicmike
January 28, 2017, 20:55
She has been offered a permanent position here. We are working out the logistics of relocating here. There isn't squat for rentals.....not sure what I am going to do for work. Will see what happens. It is a beautiful part of the world. I sure loved living on the south coast but my job isn't portable enough to bring it here.

Andy the Aussie
January 28, 2017, 21:32
I love the OR coast.... driven almost the full length of it staying in beach side B&Bs/accommodation most of the way. Just beautiful !

SteelGreyML
January 28, 2017, 22:37
Nice. I am down the road in CB.

pakrat57
January 29, 2017, 15:02
Worked a sawmill rebuild contract out of Gardner Oregon
Too bad that's all gone now. Lost a lot of good paying jobs when the saw mill and then the paper mill were shut down. I'm in Reedsport, and like mentioned, not much for work on the coast.

Sagerider
January 29, 2017, 19:53
How is the surf fishing? Looks like flounder country.

Bawana jim
January 30, 2017, 00:12
Too bad that's all gone now. Lost a lot of good paying jobs when the saw mill and then the paper mill were shut down. I'm in Reedsport, and like mentioned, not much for work on the coast.

Ya they spent 88 million to rebuild the green end, run one log through it then took the tax write off to shut it down. I heard later that they tried to run it but the dry end needed millions in a rebuild to keep up with the green end. In the end the company sold off its source of timber and scraped the mill.

Beautiful place you live with so much outdoor activities to do, so much wildlife and so much to explore. Used to shoot on the hill above the mill at a small rockpit, fished and hunted like no other time. Envy is too small a word to describe how I feel about those who live on the coast.

pakrat57
January 30, 2017, 02:33
Ya they spent 88 million to rebuild the green end, run one log through it then took the tax write off to shut it down. I heard later that they tried to run it but the dry end needed millions in a rebuild to keep up with the green end. In the end the company sold off its source of timber and scraped the mill.

Thats about as close to what happened as I recall.

Beautiful place you live with so much outdoor activities to do, so much wildlife and so much to explore. Used to shoot on the hill above the mill at a small rockpit, fished and hunted like no other time. Envy is too small a word to describe how I feel about those who live on the coast.

That road is where I still go shooting, just towards the end at a big open sand pit. And yeah, it is a beautiful area, that's why I'll never move if I can help it.

medicmike
January 30, 2017, 09:29
It is a beautiful spot and good to hear that there are some Filers close. The job issue has me worried, we can make it on the wife's salary but I don't want to be out of work for too long (it would drive me nuts) the other concern is housing. There seems to be a big shortage of rentals in the area. I do so miss living on the coast though.

medicmike
January 30, 2017, 09:46
How is the surf fishing? Looks like flounder country.

I know further south has some good spots for surf perch. It was a busy beach but didn't see a single fisherman over the weekend so no clue as to how good it is there.

The area is a great place to explode a dead whale though. Not far from this incident.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xBgThvB_IDQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bawana jim
January 30, 2017, 13:14
I know further south has some good spots for surf perch. It was a busy beach but didn't see a single fisherman over the weekend so no clue as to how good it is there.

The area is a great place to explode a dead whale though. Not far from this incident.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xBgThvB_IDQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:rofl::rofl::rofl::lolsign::lolsign::lolsign: I remember that and it was the funnyest shit ever. That right there is the epitome of state thinkers in Oregon. That highway depart spent 365 million on 6 miles of roadway.

gordonm1
January 30, 2017, 20:53
I miss fresh crab, Ling Cod and scallops. 25 ft seas in a Zodiak were sobering and so was being buzzed by sea lions snorkeling an getting checked out by Orcas in a rubber boat. Fog was a another one.

Bawana jim
January 30, 2017, 21:12
I miss fresh crab, Ling Cod and scallops. 25 ft seas in a Zodiak were sobering and so was being buzzed by sea lions snorkeling an getting checked out by Orcas in a rubber boat. Fog was a another one.

Some friends and I went out of Coos bay bottom fishing in a small boat and hooked three fish at a time filling up two big gunny sacks. One man was just reeling them in while two guys pulled em off the hooks. I was puking and reeling and the best time you could imagine. Guys said keep feeding them jim and pull them in. You ever laugh while you puke?

So Jake had a big boat to go way out for salmon, first time out and I fugged up with the deep diver and the hook ended on the top of the water. Shit the pole bent over and the struggle was on. Reeled and reeled until I pulled in a 4ft blue shark that I had hooked on the top fin, Geez what a fight. Brother had a good fight pulling a Chinook in that took about 10 minutes only to have a seal bite it just before it reached the boat..

Oh and the hunting....

brunop
January 30, 2017, 22:21
Beautiful day for this time of year!

Hope you work it out, MM. Otis61 is in Newport, and I'm in Corvallis. We both shoot at the range in Siletz on Saturday mornings in the spring and summer.

Tailback
January 30, 2017, 23:42
Dittos!

Siletz is a nice laid back club.

Beautiful day for this time of year!

Hope you work it out, MM. Otis61 is in Newport, and I'm in Corvallis. We both shoot at the range in Siletz on Saturday mornings in the spring and summer.

Bug Tussell
February 03, 2017, 20:33
My son and fam may wind up around Tillamook. Give me an excuse to visit the PNW.

Bawana jim
February 03, 2017, 21:02
My son and fam may wind up around Tillamook. Give me an excuse to visit the PNW.

Tillamook produces the best cheese in the state, go there and cut the cheese.:rofl:

medicmike
February 03, 2017, 21:06
Tillamook produces the best cheese in the state, go there and cut the cheese.:rofl:

Yes they do, and some darned good ice cream but I am tying to stay away from that kind of stuff.

Bawana jim
February 03, 2017, 23:14
Yes they do, and some darned good ice cream but I am tying to stay away from that kind of stuff.

I have been very fortunate in my life to have built roads all over Oregon, you could travel here for a lifetime and never see it all. The beautiful Oregon Coast alone would be a wonderful lifetime. Men really don't have enough time to see and enjoy all the wonders.

Bug Tussell
February 04, 2017, 16:36
I have been very fortunate in my life to have built roads all over Oregon, you could travel here for a lifetime and never see it all. The beautiful Oregon Coast alone would be a wonderful lifetime. Men really don't have enough time to see and enjoy all the wonders.

I had a meeting at the Skamania Lodge in February one year. Wow. What a view of the Skamania river. In New Mexico we can jump across or wade across most of our rivers. The Skamania musta been a mile across at that point.

Brush511
February 04, 2017, 22:27
I had a meeting at the Skamania Lodge in February one year. Wow. What a view of the Skamania river. In New Mexico we can jump across or wade across most of our rivers. The Skamania musta been a mile across at that point.

That would be the Columbia River.:)

Bawana jim
February 04, 2017, 23:16

Worked along the Columbia River many times in my life. In the morning the water is so smooth you can see a clear reflection of the train on the Washington side. By afternoon the wind blows so hard there are 3 foot whitecaps and the kite boys get out there and ride the wind and water.

You would see salmon in the river that rolled like some thing out of your imagination, huge fish. Dams have 12foot+ sturgeon on their fish ladder walls and in the dam you get to count the salmon on their way upstream. No place like it on earth.

4x401
February 04, 2017, 23:49
That would be the Columbia River.:)

:rofl::rofl:

Yup, that was the Columbia river Bug..:whiskey:

MK ULTRA
February 05, 2017, 20:26
Yeah the libs ruined the whole left coast.

medicmike
February 05, 2017, 20:38
Yeah the libs ruined the whole left coast.

They do....and it's a damn shame since it is such a beautiful place to live