PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Arms Closes Their Doors after 40 years

Bubacus
January 26, 2017, 06:56
Looks like Olympic arms is closed for business now:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/01/25/breaking-olympic-arms-shutting-40-years/

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Notice.jpg

2barearms
January 26, 2017, 08:53
Not sure if I'm supposed to be happy or sad. They certainly got a bad rep
for some stuff they pulled.

TenTea
January 26, 2017, 11:10
Time to buy that OA93 I always wanted. :shades:

http://www.olyarms.com/shop/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/o/a/oa93.png

MAINER
January 26, 2017, 11:47
TenTea, I've got the Receiver if you want to get started on that. :devil:

They were one of the first in the business, too bad they never got their sh*t together.

GOVT1911
January 26, 2017, 13:06
Time to buy that OA93 I always wanted. :shades:

http://www.olyarms.com/shop/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/o/a/oa93.png

Always wanted an OA93 since I saw Willem Defoe as Mr Clark use one in the Clancy movie Clear and Present Danger. LOL

pre1989
January 27, 2017, 00:15
Funny part is that most movies that used the OA93 had to mod them to run in FA as they would not work ...I know A long kiss good night they straped a OA93 upper on a M16 lower with buffer tube so it would run

Cool guns

But they pull some bad crap over the years so I really wont own much from them .. I mean they got steel core AK x39 ammo banned for gosh sakes

Right Side Up
January 27, 2017, 03:57
The first AR-15 I bought was an OLY Arms, and it was a single shot rifle. Took it back and traded it in a a Colt and never looked back.

TerryN
January 27, 2017, 04:06
I also recall some of the shady s**t they pulled - and then later tried to make go away. I distinctly recall a bunch of out-of-spec cast lowers they blew out at a steep discount. You had to grind on the hammer/trigger to thin them out so they would fit in the lower - and hopefully function. Later they tried to deny that having ever happened.

I made the mistake of doing a couple of builds with their parts, and getting shorted on every order I ever placed. When I called to ask about it, they would always act like it was my fault! I eventually learned my lesson.

AZ Dave
January 27, 2017, 06:20
They were the only game in town when I started building AR's back in the early 80's. I built several. Had an out of spec lower that would double fire. Customer service was bad so I moved on. Buh Bye...

MAINER
January 27, 2017, 09:03
They were the only game in town when I started building AR's back in the early 80's. I built several. Had an out of spec lower that would double fire. Customer service was bad so I moved on. Buh Bye...

Same here, at least they were the only ones I could find in The Shotgun News at the time and Al Gore hadn't invented the internet yet. :rolleyes:
Didn't know much about 'Puters then anyway and still don't. :(
I only used their Receiver and the rest of the parts were GI A2 that came from a guy in Lake Zurich.

The rifle worked fine, only the Take-Down Pins were really tight and required the use of a push tool to drive them in or out.

The second AR was built on an EA (Essential Arms) and that one seemed to have better specs, still works anyway.

lew
January 27, 2017, 11:37
Honestly didn't know they were still around.

gunners
January 27, 2017, 13:44
Used to be Shoot's and Gun Work's before Oly as I recall. Was offered a CNC lathe job there back in 1989 but the wage they offered made me laugh. They own the rights to the left handed 1911 that Randall made as I remember too.

NFADLR
January 27, 2017, 13:54
My only experience with their product was a receiver just like this.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/HK33K/NEWSGWM16.jpg

MAINER
January 27, 2017, 20:21
Mine is the same except "AUTO" is not present.

grumpy1
January 27, 2017, 20:33
While I've never bought an OLY, pretty sure that I won't miss them. I've always thought that their guns weren't made very well just from picking them up and handling them at gun shows and gun stores. In some crazy twist, I can see some idiots thinking that it will increase the value of their gun.

SAFN49
January 28, 2017, 22:58
No great loss. I had a Schuetzen Gun Works AR that ran great with a registered DIAS installed. It was about the only one that ever ran.

They are over priced IMHO. Their going out of business sales prices are just stupid.

hueyville
January 28, 2017, 23:00
Have an Oly living behind seat of truck every day. It's 100% reliable. One of my mechanics, two doctors and four bank branches in town didn't open for 2017. Nobama really fixed the economy, eh? Riding by one bank as were clearing out, gave me the drive thru window bullet resistant glass, ballistic fiberglass sheets from teller line, two fire resistant filing cabinets plus other goodies. It was all going into a roll off dumpster. Crew said decommissioned a bank or two per month. Said will call whenever in metro ATL area.

TerryN
January 28, 2017, 23:13
Used to be Shoot's and Gun Work's before Oly as I recall. Was offered a CNC lathe job there back in 1989 but the wage they offered made me laugh. They own the rights to the left handed 1911 that Randall made as I remember too.

Scheutzen Gun Works.

hueyville
January 29, 2017, 06:55

I collect Randall 1911's. Have a consequtive serial number set of Randall " Curtis E LeMay's" one left and one right plus a non matched pair of 5" right and left hand pistols. Try to buy anyone find in person that is not a match to one already own unless a leftie that mates to a right hand model. Cannot believe they didn't survive. First company that did true CNC machining, first company to figure out an alloy allowing a stainless upper on stainless lower that didn't gall and pistols were top notch. Guess the market was still Colt or a wannabe and they spent too much changing models so often. While Oly's were hit or miss, have a few that after a little work are fine rifles.