PDA

View Full Version : Re-Loading Bullet Weights For The SLR

Timmo
January 24, 2017, 20:34
Hi to all again. I've been playing with reloading ammo for my SLR and happy with results using W748 powder and shooting 150grn projectiles out to 300yrds in light loads. I have scored some 155grn and 165grn projectiles and just want to know who in here reloads heavier projectiles for their rifles and what results have they had ... cheers

W.E.G.
January 24, 2017, 20:52
I've fired everything from .311 diameter 123-grain bullets to 190-grain Match Kings through the FAL.

Any standard 7.62 load should be fine in your FAL.

Timmo
January 24, 2017, 21:13
I've fired everything from .311 diameter 123-grain bullets to 190-grain Match Kings through the FAL.

Any standard 7.62 load should be fine in your FAL.

Thanks for that , good to know it handles such a wide range of projectiles ... cheers

lysanderxiii
January 24, 2017, 21:42
I would stick to .308" diameter projectiles until you have lots of experience reloading . . .

kotengu
January 24, 2017, 22:03
I would stick to .308" diameter projectiles until you have lots of experience reloading . . .

This. I found the 155gr to be the best balance for my needs in my FAL, but you just have to try them and see.

Timmo
January 24, 2017, 22:26

I will be , 311 looks to be well above my experience. For me it's nice and slow testing. I'm happy with the 150gn but just toying with the idea of the heavier bullet faster stability scenario but not wanting to push the velocity out too far.... sort like lobbing them in if you know what I mean. It's only out to 300yrds which is what we have here ... cheers

Timmo
January 24, 2017, 22:28
This. I found the 155gr to be the best balance for my needs in my FAL, but you just have to try them and see.

155s is what I have just got so that's on the cards.If you don't mind me asking are you pushing the velocity on your loads ? ... cheers

kotengu
January 24, 2017, 23:10
155s is what I have just got so that's on the cards.If you don't mind me asking are you pushing the velocity on your loads ? ... cheers

Not really. The FAL seems to be really sensitive to velocity changes, so I just do a ladder/Audette load workup and find what velocity that barrel likes. I want to say my current load is running 2600 ft/s out of an 18" barrel, but I'm talking off the top of my head and don't have my notes with me.

Timmo
January 25, 2017, 01:00
Not really. The FAL seems to be really sensitive to velocity changes, so I just do a ladder/Audette load workup and find what velocity that barrel likes. I want to say my current load is running 2600 ft/s out of an 18" barrel, but I'm talking off the top of my head and don't have my notes with me.
Thanks for sharing .... cheers