PDA

View Full Version : NM Service Rifle have any value any more?

kotengu
January 22, 2017, 14:03
I have a White Oak Armament upper (20" SS HB, FF Tube, pinned 1/4 MOA rear sight), service rifle legal, on a RRA "NM" lower with A1 grip and the Hollinger tune-up to the trigger pack. I'd guess it has around a thousand rounds through it, but I have a logbook I can dig up that can solidify that.

I kept it for years thinking one day I'd go back to Highpower and get my Distinguished Rifleman badge, but as the years go by I'm thinking it's time to admit I'm never going to actually do that, and let this fine rifle go for something I'd shoot more.

Now that optics are legal in Highpower, does this have any value any more, or are these flooding the market and worthless now?

Are there any Highpower forums still active where I could sell it? I'd much rather it go to a Highpower shooter than some neckbeard who doesn't know what it is. I googled my old haunts and it looks like they're all pretty much dead now.

JeffJ
January 22, 2017, 15:38
Of course they do, dropped some but it can easily be modified to take optics. I am probably going to change mine over and may start shooting service rifle again now that I will be able to see a decent sight picture.

W.E.G.
January 22, 2017, 16:04
Send it back to Holliger to convert it to flat top.

Sell the old parts on the usrifleteams forum.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/rifle%20pics/convert_zpsyrtnfgzi.jpg

Be careful trying to take it apart yourself.

One of my cheapskate teammates wasted a lot of time and buggered the living hell out of the handguard nut trying to disassemble a White Oak upper on a do-it-yourself attempt at converting.

I shot another high-master slow prone score with my White Oak scoped service rifle upper yesterday.

I still suck at offhand.

hueyville
January 22, 2017, 22:40
Send it back to Holliger to convert it to flat top.

Be careful trying to take it apart yourself.

One of my cheapskate teammates wasted a lot of time and buggered the living hell out of the handguard nut trying to disassemble a White Oak upper on a do-it-yourself attempt at converting.

I shot another high-master slow prone score with my White Oak scoped service rifle upper yesterday.

I still suck at offhand.

If has the White Oak Armament free float service rifle handguard here is the pdf instruction sheet to disassemble/assemble. They have a bunch of handguards for match and other rifles all seemingly requiring different specialty tools.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://precision.whiteoakarmament.com/tech/WOP-ServiceRifleTube.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwivp8y_pNfRAhVDTSYKHQ9AA0EQFggaMAA&usg=AFQjCNF1_r8FpgKyA8L39BIf6P2VJQSUzw

In addition to the Geissele and PRI barrel nut tools need this proprietary barrel nut tool to work on their uppers.

https://d3fknx2v3di431.cloudfront.net/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/b/n/bntool-edited.jpg

While some of their stuff is odd, it's all darn good. Have one of their AR 10 side charger uppers that is super slick. Can use the standard AR charging handle or grab knob sticking out of bolt and rack away. Just don't let it grab a body part while cycling. When building premium rifles usually call them first to source parts. Palmetto is just for bargain guns that want to go bang and shoot as well as willing to spend on a barrel. Have some 13.5" WOA barrel will put up against any of my 18" Palmetto barrels and some other companies 20" barrels.

Sagerider
January 23, 2017, 00:48
Pardon me but I have an idea. To sell the rifle as is even though it might be to a neck beard at the least it would live on as it was intended. I am not familiar with this rifle or maker but it sounds as though it is special.
Take the proceeds from the sale and make that into what ever you wish.

hueyville
January 23, 2017, 09:50
Selling just the upper or is it on a complete rifle now? Semi interested if upper only but will never be used at a formal match but the local coyote population would likely be unhappy. Any pictures willing to post? Bet someone here will liberate it without lurking elsewhere.

Nuttz
January 23, 2017, 10:53
I think you should carry it for the second 10K(ish) this Friday!!! :]

...and yes...I remember how heavy it is! :wink:

kotengu
January 23, 2017, 11:31
I think you should carry it for the second 10K(ish) this Friday!!! :]

...and yes...I remember how heavy it is! :wink:

You sir, are on crack. :biggrin:

gordonm1
January 23, 2017, 14:58
I also have one I got at a discount through CMP. I did not know they are of special construction. I bought mine around 2000 or the late 90's.

The CMP forums have a marketplace you could list it at.

I'm not sure what to do with mine either. I bought a carry handle scope mount for it to do load workups so it can be scoped. My 80gr load was hitting clay pigeons just about every time at 600 yards with 24x scope. I hate to sell my most accurate semi auto.

I better find out how to take it apart before Mr. Holliger disappears.

I still expect I'll find a way to shoot it a lot in retirement. Maybe prairie dogs.

W.E.G.
January 23, 2017, 15:28
I used to have one of those Bushmaster CMP AR's.

Put about 14,000 rounds through that barrel, then sold it to thin the herd.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/rifle%20pics/AR-15/BushmasterCMPAR-15.jpg

I also have one I got at a discount through CMP. I did not know they are of special construction. I bought mine around 2000 or the late 90's.

The CMP forums have a marketplace you could list it at.

I'm not sure what to do with mine either. I bought a carry handle scope mount for it to do load workups so it can be scoped. My 80gr load was hitting clay pigeons just about every time at 600 yards with 24x scope. I hate to sell my most accurate semi auto.

I better find out how to take it apart before Mr. Holliger disappears.

I still expect I'll find a way to shoot it a lot in retirement. Maybe prairie dogs.

Falcon
January 23, 2017, 19:51
Living down the road from the CMP Talladega Marksmanship Park, I bought this Armalite M15A2 NM with White Oak upper last year. I was contemplating whether to use it as is or attempt to change it to an A4 on my own. But after reading Gary's post and seeing how cheap it was to send it to John for the A4 conversion, it's a no brainer and I'm calling him tomorrow! Thanks Gary! :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Falcon007/IMG_8023_zps80hsnbl7.jpg

gordonm1
January 24, 2017, 19:45
[QUOTE=W.E.G.;4360913]I used to have one of those Bushmaster CMP AR's.

Put about 14,000 rounds through that barrel, then sold it to thin the herd.

Yeah, I think mine is a Bushmaster lower. I probably have under 2k on my Krieger barrel so it has a way to go. Nice package of parts. I put a Jewel trigger in mine and added weight under the handguards and in the stock and still suck at offhand with a coat.

I even bought an extra barrel from Midway on sale so I'm set to shoot a lot if the opportunity comes.

Round count means a lot for value on your upper Kotengu.

W.E.G.
January 24, 2017, 20:41
Mine too had a Jewell trigger.

Probably the best feel of any match-grade service rifle trigger I've ever had. Better than Geissele if you ask me.

Only issue I had with it was it seemed like a Chinese puzzle to to install/adjust. These triggers get mucked up with gunk periodically. Only way to revive them is to take them completely out of the gun and clean thoroughly. I just couldn't bear the idea of taking that triggger out and trying to get it back right. My luck it would require major surgery a week before Nationals.

Probably could have figured it out, but I wanted two lowers just alike. So, I relented and just got a couple Geissele triggers. I let the Jewell go with rest of the rifle.

W.E.G.
January 24, 2017, 20:47
Living down the road from the CMP Talladega Marksmanship Park, I bought this Armalite M15A2 NM with White Oak upper last year. I was contemplating whether to use it as is or attempt to change it to an A4 on my own. But after reading Gary's post and seeing how cheap it was to send it to John for the A4 conversion, it's a no brainer and I'm calling him tomorrow! Thanks Gary! :)

Right on.

I've sent three of mine, and one of a buddy's so far. All smooth sailing. All came home quickly.

The excellent box John ships the uppers in is a real comfort when you hand-over your high-end equipment to the blank-faced person at the USPS counter.

The leftover parts really are still in demand (not sure why really,.... but they are). You can probably recoup somewhere in the neighborhood of $75 - $150 by selling-off the leftovers. Once you shoot scope on black-gun Service Rifle, you will never want to compete with irons again. If you have a bout of nostalgia, and you want to shoot some irons, the brown guns are more fun anyway for the "I-don't-care-about-my-score" matches.