PDA

View Full Version : AR Upper ID National Match?

medicmike
January 19, 2017, 23:42
So I have an AR upper, 20", heavy stainless barrel, postban configuration, free float tube under the hand guards. Is this likely a NM upper? I am unable to find any markings (I haven't pulled the handguards and looked at the tube yet). What should I look for on this for markings? Is it worth a trade on an M4 or XM upper? I picked this up during the panic, had been sitting on a lower for years and a guy at work had this for sale. Pretty sure it has been fired, just never by me. It sure made a heavy AR, if I'm going to pack something that heavy around it is going to shoot 7.62. Thinking about swapping it off but still torn on the issue.

Please excuse the crappy cell pics, wife is travelling with the good camera right now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/medicmike/20170119_200251_1484886213104.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/medicmike/media/20170119_200251_1484886213104.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/medicmike/20170119_200310.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/medicmike/media/20170119_200310.jpg.html)

Sagerider
January 20, 2017, 14:05
My best shooting NM rifle is a Bush Master stainless barrel with a full floating system just like yours but does not say National Match anywhere on the barrel or anywhere else.
I would suggest to try it out and see how it goes, you may want to keep it just to have it.
I have managed to accumulate five so far including a factory built Rock River National Match. I got on a bit of a Jones there with very accurate ARs. :)

hagar
January 20, 2017, 14:16
It probably is a Rock River NM upper. I have one just like that, except mine has a flash hider.

I'll trade you a Compass Lake 1 in 7 twist NM upper with NM pinned sights!

grumpy1
January 20, 2017, 17:30
For me the M4 cut barrels look ugly and are pointless unless you have an M203 to hang from it.
As for your barrel it looks like it could be a NM but I'm not sure. Since I don't own a NM AR, I was just wondering if the front sights have a narrower sight pin? If so that may help in identifying it as a NM upper or it could just add to the confusion.

mp
January 20, 2017, 19:12
How is the FSB connected to barrel? NM style does away with tapered pins and uses set screws to allow adjustment.

Blackmore
January 20, 2017, 20:40
1:8 twist barrel would be another clue to look for to confirm it's a Rock River.

medicmike
January 20, 2017, 20:42
How is the FSB connected to barrel? NM style does away with tapered pins and uses set screws to allow adjustment.

FSB is pinned, just checked

medicmike
January 20, 2017, 20:43
For me the M4 cut barrels look ugly and are pointless unless you have an M203 to hang from it.
As for your barrel it looks like it could be a NM but I'm not sure. Since I don't own a NM AR, I was just wondering if the front sights have a narrower sight pin? If so that may help in identifying it as a NM upper or it could just add to the confusion.

The FS post appears to be narrow to me. I don't have another handy to compare it with.

I agree that the M4 cut isn't the most attractive barrel profile. I would really like to get an XM profile upper. I do like the retro shorty look :)

medicmike
January 20, 2017, 20:45
My best shooting NM rifle is a Bush Master stainless barrel with a full floating system just like yours but does not say National Match anywhere on the barrel or anywhere else.
I would suggest to try it out and see how it goes, you may want to keep it just to have it.
I have managed to accumulate five so far including a factory built Rock River National Match. I got on a bit of a Jones there with very accurate ARs. :)

Just too darned heavy for my liking. Yes a tack driver AR is cool but lighter and shorter would be much handier in the truck :)

Sagerider
January 20, 2017, 21:40
I like a lighter unit as well so I put a sort of retro together using a Del-Ton light 20 inch barrel, super sweet. Waiting for the snow to melt off some before I slog out to the target back stop to get it zeroed. Of course I do have a few 16 inch rifles but I prefer the 20 inch over the shorter but that is me.
Good luck finding what you need.

Bertellione
January 24, 2017, 16:24
Remove your float tube that will lighten it up. Bring it back to a little bit heavier than an A2. There maybe lead weights under the handgaurds as well.