PDA

View Full Version : It's comming back this week

Bawana jim
January 09, 2017, 16:33
Sent my Colt SAA back to a master with the SAA to have a trigger job done. Fellow spent plenty of time talking me through the action and what it takes to make it better and not beat the gun to death. You can tell in a phone conversation pretty much what a man can do because he can put a picture in your minds eye as to what needs to be done and why.

Got the call that it's comming back this week.:calvindancing:

MAINER
January 09, 2017, 19:00
Hope it's a goody, nothing like a clean crisp SA trigger. There is not much to work with, but that's good. Did my own Colt and it turned out surprisingly well. Nowadays don't trust my eyesight well enough to do it again.

Thinned and polished the Hammer spring, along with honing a bevel on the trigger to reduce engagement. Also polished the Bolt and Hand Spring to remove any possible stress cracks. Forty years now with no spring failures.

Pleasantly surprised with a 44 Spec Cimarron I purchased recently. Trigger was a bit raspy, but a "5 Minute" trigger job worked it out nicely. Timing and lockup is right on the button.

Good luck with the Colt.

BUFF
January 13, 2017, 03:12
Wuzzat your new .44 Special New Frontier or something else? We need to get you set up with some proper ammo for it, good buddy!

Bawana jim
January 13, 2017, 21:21
Got it back and it's far better than I hoped. Talked again to him and he went through what was done to the gun step by step. Every piece in the action was hand fit the way Colt used to. It was all done by hand filing and as he put it a gun is like good food, you have to take the time to do it right.

When you cock the gun through the four clicks they all feel the same, no resistance of cam over and it's glass smooth. Timed perfect so the bolt doesn't scratch the cylinder. Tight lock up. Trigger isn't mushy but crisp and a suprise but not dangerous or too light. It breaks at about 3 pounds and consistant. When you pull the hammer back because he changed the cam and mainspring it is smooth as can be.

I don't know what he charges for a trigger job, he charges on a gun by gun basis. Mine was a Colt SAA second generation with a broken trigger that I sent in and was 45 colt caliber. With parts he charged $180 plus shipping both ways. I would have paid that much just to learn what he told me, I have never had a greater understanding of Colt SAA actions.

So I give thanks to Jim Martin for the fine work on my Colt SAA, never felt a better trigger pull.

BUFF
January 14, 2017, 01:21
Lyman 454424 or 454190 over 8.5 grains old Unique or 7.5 grains W-231. Repeat as needed.

MAINER
January 14, 2017, 10:19
Lyman 454424 or 454190 over 8.5 grains old Unique or 7.5 grains W-231. Repeat as needed.

:uhoh: Geez BUFF, you'll likely kill something with those loadings. I thought BJ's Colt was a 44 Special?

BUFF
January 15, 2017, 01:12
His new .44 Special is a New Frontier. He said the one he got tuned is a Single Action Army in .45 Colt a post or two above us.

Bawana jim
January 15, 2017, 09:49
Good thing we have a gunshow this weekend to pick up more bullets...:rofl:

MAINER
January 15, 2017, 10:27
His new .44 Special is a New Frontier. He said the one he got tuned is a Single Action Army in .45 Colt a post or two above us.

Yup, my old eyes skipped right over that part, carry on. :facepalm:

I use the same Unique load in my .45's, haven't tried Win 231.

BUFF
January 15, 2017, 18:46
Winchester lists that as their factory load duplication. Seems about right shooting it but I haven't chrono'ed it.

MAINER
January 16, 2017, 10:19
My main reason for using that load is that it shoots to the point of aim on a couple of SA's with fixed sights. The load groups as well as any other I've tried and better than I can see to shoot.

Unique powder has been very scarce in my AO for a couple years now. I bought Universal Clays as a substitute, but haven't had a chance to try the new loads yet.

Bawana jim
January 16, 2017, 10:53
Unique was hard to get so when the gun club came up with some I jumped on it quick for my 44 special loads. I haven't tried 231 in 45 colt yet but 231 is my most used powder so may as well build something in 45colt.

I can't get over that trigger job, never had one like it.:)

MAINER
January 16, 2017, 15:34
Know what you mean. I've got a Great Western 7 1/2" .357 with a trigger that goes off in a light breeze. No great effort of gun smithing ability, just wear just wear I believe. :D

Great for plinking, but dangerous for everyday use. Not exactly a loaner either, unless I don't like the loanee. ;)

I have a couple Rugers with good triggers, but not exceptional like the SA pull on a good S&W.