View Full Version : A question for the M-16 guys.

AZ Dave
January 04, 2017, 23:43
I have a line on an M-16 and I cant pass it up. I'll be starting the paper work on Monday. I know I have plenty of time while waiting for approval but I'm thinking ahead. I'd like to shoot 22 lr through it and was wondering who makes a reliable conversion kit. The 16 is configured with a 11.5" barrel presently. Can I shoot 22 lr through it or will lead build up be an issue. Thanks....

January 05, 2017, 00:03
I don't have a definitive answer too your question , leading in a barrel has never been issue to me I just clean it and shoot it out. I just laughed when I read your post cause currently I can shoot .223 cheaper than .22 for the last couple years

January 05, 2017, 01:50
Why not just get a cheep 22lr upper ? Or better yet a belt fed ...

And oh with some guns you may need to mod the lower pins to use different uppers if it a old conversion colt ( nearly learned that luckly the one I had dealt with was I think converted to use different uppers ..I hope )

M16 are fun full auto up there with HK sear guns

So what make model ? Factory or home brew?

The one I dealt with was a home conversion done ok though ...

AZ Dave
January 05, 2017, 07:09
It is a converted Colt done by the owner back in the day. He is an old machinist and the setup is like new and top shelf. any answers on the 22 conversion?

January 05, 2017, 11:24
I have not seen a conversion kit lately but have not been looking. Most all of the kits I have seen are bolt, carrier , chamber sleeve and mag kits with a few that had a new upper. Shoot 2 or 3 hundred rounds of 22 and check the barrel. Worst case it will need very good cleaning. Just my opinion.

K. Funk
January 05, 2017, 13:31
Ciener conversions were always considered top notch, the owner of the company not so much. I have heard of guys using the CMMG conversion, but it needs tuning. Check in over at Subguns on the NFA forum, you will probably get a good answer there.

January 05, 2017, 14:00
I've got several of the old Ceiner conversions(and Bro-Cal before that). Never really had a problem with either, but realize that 100% reliability with any .22 MG is not going to happen. Best you can hope for is a click instead of a bang every few magazines. The CMMG copy(and Spike's if still around)get good reviews currently. My kits are all 20yrs old or more, but these are just exact copies. Just be careful to get the full auto version and not the semi. In the past, the ten round mag was a tip-off to a semi kit, but what you're really looking for is the sear trip and anti-bounce weight. Without these two items it won't function in auto.

I've never cleaned a .22 upper, but I have always dedicated an upper to .22 use and don't switch back and forth. Most of my .22 shooting has been suppressed using a demilled M16 barrel torched back to about five inches and threaded. These were stupid cheap at one time and I have several of them. I also have a full length upper dedicated to .22(it has no gas tube). Guys who shoot for accuracy avoid the Ceiner style chamber inserts and use a properly bored and chambered .22 barrel, but tin cans at 25yd bursts is all I've even expected from my guns.

Steel Shrapnel
January 14, 2017, 12:29
The majority of 22lr manufactures build quality uppers for M16 lowers, but cheap 22 ammo and low quality magazines determines overall reliable function...!

January 14, 2017, 23:32
CMMG dedicated 22lr upper, cmmg auto trip, cmmg anti bounce.
blackdog machine magazines.
In a colt M16a1

http://s95.photobucket.com/user/rsm127810/media/Full%20Auto%20Share/Full%20size%2022LR%20full%20auto_zps85khfqs8.mp4.h tml