PDA

View Full Version : 458 SOCOM questions

badzero
January 01, 2017, 19:57
Ok, so the other 458 thread got me thinking I can build one under the wife's radar. "I'm currently under an arms embargo until after taxes," but I don't do well with rules.

What length barrel do I want? Is it like the 300 blk, where anything over 8 inches is purely for legal purposes or do you actually need the length for velocity?

I remember reading years ago that most stocks gained the auto collapsing feature with it so you needed a LMT sopmod.

What about the buffer and spring?

Is opening the ejection port actually necessary?

What did I forget?

Thanks

brunop
January 01, 2017, 20:01
L Haney is here on this site. He owns one, and he loves it.

I don't have anything to add. Except that I've shot the thumper, and it makes me laugh. If you can remember, ask Haney about his range joke for the newbs...

kotengu
January 01, 2017, 20:13
Here's Haney's Thumper at 1,000 frames per second. It made me smile too!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fd4pT7suUI0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That being said, I'd honor my promise to the wife and wait until after taxes. What you do with your wife is your business though.

L Haney
January 01, 2017, 20:22
Never noticed it before but it looks like the scope ocular just kissed the bridge of your glasses.

I was too enthralled with the way your mustache stretched.

meltblown
January 01, 2017, 20:25
Here's Haney's Thumper at 1,000 frames per second. It made me smile too!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fd4pT7suUI0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That being said, I'd honor my promise to the wife and wait until after taxes. What you do with your wife is your business though.

For a moment thought it was Dale Earnhardt. :biggrin:

tdb59
January 01, 2017, 20:31
For a moment thought it was Dale Earnhardt. :biggrin:

Nope.

Kix Brooks.

Ask him to sing for you.

kotengu
January 01, 2017, 20:58
With all of the things I have been called in this life, Kix Brooks and Dale Earnhardt are both firsts! :confused:

If touching Haney's rifel did that to me, imagine what would happen if I did a mag dump with it!

L Haney
January 01, 2017, 21:07
... imagine what would happen if I did a mag dump with it!

You did. And made me actually beg you to do so. Because I can't run a trigger like you can and I wanted to see the Thumper do that. Terry can do it with a revolver, you can with a rifel, I can't even stub out a cigarette that fast.

kotengu
January 01, 2017, 21:46
You did. And made me actually beg you to do so. Because I can't run a trigger like you can and I wanted to see the Thumper do that. Terry can do it with a revolver, you can with a rifel, I can't even stub out a cigarette that fast.

And that's when I giggled like a schoolgirl. :D

hueyville
January 01, 2017, 23:21
Negotiate with wife, build all you can with junk box parts till looks like almost a real gun then say all I need is x and y to be finished. Found a good sale on what I need also. Don't mention ammo issues. Gave up on the ask forgiveness later idea decades ago. Never get a no, sometimes get a need to wait till after property tax bill shows or client x check arrives unless screaming deal, drop on card and say three guys were standing behind wanting to buy if sat down long enough to call. She let's that one slide every couple months.

Merl
January 01, 2017, 23:34
Negotiate with wife, ***snip*** say three guys were standing behind wanting to buy if sat down long enough to call. She let's that one slide every couple months.

And be open minded when she finds things she wants with three people waiting behind her.

Re the 458, if you want a thumper go for it. Just remember it is not a 22 and has some recoil. ;) Worst part is the I really want to pick up every last piece of brass since it is so pricey. End up spending as much time doing that as shooting it.

Barrel length is like the BO, go short. I like fixed stocks. Std buffer & spring. Yes to the ejection port or have issues ejecting complete rounds.

badzero
January 02, 2017, 01:04
Thanks, I can't complain about her, she never says no and if I said I really wanted it she would probably buy it for me. It's been a rough last six months and the fact that she is a worrier is the only reason she said nothing new and might chew me a little if she catches me but nothing too major.

Picking up brass is nothing new, I have an 11 yr old who lives to shoot. So he never leaves a single piece of brass laying. My dad taught him that you don't leave until it's cleaner than when you got there. He even sorts it on the ride home.

hueyville
January 02, 2017, 12:34
And be open minded when she finds things she wants with three people waiting behind her.

Re the 458, if you want a thumper go for it. Just remember it is not a 22 and has some recoil. ;) Worst part is the I really want to pick up every last piece of brass since it is so pricey. End up spending as much time doing that as shooting it.

Barrel length is like the BO, go short. I like fixed stocks. Std buffer & spring. Yes to the ejection port or have issues ejecting complete rounds.

A man who knows how to trim a quote. Your next drink is on me. Make it a premium.