PDA

View Full Version : AR scope mounts

ByronF
January 01, 2017, 15:27
Guys

Years ago I read an article on scope mounts where author discussed 1pc vs 2pc, and steel vs aluminum. Pretty sure it was from a hunting rifle perspective, and who knows if the dude knew what he was talking about. Back then the author included variable of scope tube material (how llong ago was the last popular steel tube scope fielded?)

I'm presently considering optics and mounts for a 6.8 SPC AR intended as a hunting rifle so not anticipating precision mag dumps. But it does pique my curiosity about the effect if dumping hot gasses onto (under) the aluminum onto which the scope is mounted.

All of my uppers are either A1, or have an aimpoint red dot. So havent mounted a long tube on an upper (except a dedicated 22). Do you guys who use a scope, and shoot until your receivers are hot notice any stringing effects as the receiver heats up? Any advantage or disadvantage to a one-piece unitized mount vs two separate tall rings?

Anyone who has been running and repairing transferrable FA since 1969 are welcome to reply if they can be courteous and mutually respectful. If it helps I'll make this like a form letter that can be cut and pasted:

"Hi, Byron. I've _____ years of experience with ________ and it has been my experience that ________________________________________. I have found ___________ was a good mount, but _______________ didnt work well because __________________."

or just free-style and we'll see how it goes. :tongue:

Byron

Timber Wolf
January 01, 2017, 15:47
Huh, never thought about that. All I know is I don't remember ever seeing anything but a one piece, and usually extended mount on 3 Gun rigs. Not full-auto but more rounds down range in a shorter time frame than most of us will ever do.

ByronF
January 01, 2017, 16:05
Doubt an issue for 3-gun ranges. Thinkin prairie dog scenario where plenty of shooting at respectably long ranges.

grumpy1
January 01, 2017, 18:30
Never saw any shift in impact when I was running an EoTech or AimPoint that were mounted to an M4 even with mag dumps. We got the barrels pretty hot several times to the point of having rounds cook off when the M4s were grounded with the safety on. We put enough rounds down range fast enough to worp the barrels to the point they failed the military rod test.

Most guys I know run the Burris PERP mount becauses its less expensive than others out there and it works just as good as the others. Most guys choose the one peice mounts because there's less of a chance that things will be miss alined and the scope can be adjusted so you have proper eye relief with the scope mounted to the receiver.

ByronF
January 01, 2017, 19:01
Never saw any shift in impact when I was running an EoTech or AimPoint that were mounted to an M4 even with mag dumps. We got the barrels pretty hot several times to the point of having rounds cook off when the M4s were grounded with the safety on. We put enough rounds down range fast enough to worp the barrels to the point they failed the military rod test.

Most guys I know run the Burris PERP mount becauses its less expensive than others out there and it works just as good as the others. Most guys choose the one peice mounts because there's less of a chance that things will be miss alined and the scope can be adjusted so you have proper eye relief with the scope mounted to the receiver.

The Eotech and Aimpoint are almost single mointing point. Effects if receiver elongation would be negligible. Seems effect, if any, would be more pronounced on a tube scope where front and rear rings are separated by a few inches. Wondering if POI will change as receiver gets hot but scope stays cool. And mount remains in between.

grumpy1
January 01, 2017, 21:49
Well I also work with aluminum molds each day at work, it would take a lot to heat up the scope. The surface area of the scope will help reduce the heat, I think it would take a lot of heat to the receiver before it would effect the scope in any way.

hueyville
January 01, 2017, 22:05
Bolt on Burris PEPR and lap,the rings so don't warp scope tube.

idsubgun
January 01, 2017, 22:33
When I was shop supervisor at Tactical Solutions, we had an agreement to make our own version of the Warne quick detach scope rings.
Being in the gun business has perks so I was given one of Warne's RAMP mounts, and later one of their skeletonized mounts they made for Colt. I have been super impressed with these mounts, and later bought another RAMP mount.
They are very sturdy and well made, and when I lapped the first RAMP mount I was very impressed on the roundness of the mounts, and how little lapping I needed to do. I didn't even lap the second mount because of this, but may someday to see how round that one is.

I'm assuming you're wanting to mount the scope on a flattop receiver, not one of your A1 receivers. The gasses probably wouldn't effect these mounts because they are hard coat anodized, the same as the receivers, and hot gasses doesn't effect them except for maybe a little discoloration.

Not sure if this is the info you want, but here it is! LOL

Forgot to add they make them in 30mm and 34mm as well.

RAMP mount:

http://warnescopemounts.com/product/ramp1tw-team-warne-1-inch-tactical-1-pc-black/

Skeletonized mount:

http://warnescopemounts.com/product/xskel1tw-gen-2-extended-skeletonized-1-inch-msr-mount-black/

hueyville
January 01, 2017, 23:15
Like the skelotonized model with and without picatinny option. Ordering one up in 34mm and 20 MOA 30mm. Price is great and made in USA. If like will be saying bye bye to the Chinese Burris mounts.

ByronF
January 02, 2017, 10:51
Thanks, ID. Good info on the lapping results.

A single piece mount SEEMS to me less likely to flex the scope as the receiver heats up, if that even happens. Seems inevitable with separate front and rear rings on a long tube though. If one mounts scope with everything at room temp then nothing is stressed. When receiver heats up it gets longer. Scope remains at room temp. Gotta be SOME stress. Probably not enough to matter?

idsubgun
January 02, 2017, 11:54
I was digging thru the safe and found one I had forgotten. This mount was made by Warne for Colt when they brought out their competition rifle a few years ago, and one found it's way into my hands as well. Love being in the gun business and having a friend in marketing!! LOL

Anyway, it's less money but still a great 1-piece mount.

http://shop.opticsplanet.com/colt-competition-integral-base-scope-mount.html?_iv_code=2CC-MT-MOUNTINTEGRAL-105565&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=plusbox-beta&gclid=CJj3rsP1o9ECFYm3wAodUFQMkA

hueyville
January 02, 2017, 12:27
And ordering one of those. Be great for lesser price builds, single screw on each side of ring is my only concern. At LGS has a scope in an AR that was not sitting still in any mount till guy swapped to a Burris with all the extra bearing surface. They tried lapping both his original sets of mounts, no joy and we're about to sell a PEPR with its wide three screw rings till I put a micrometer on tube. 30mm scope measured 29mm, no name scope with every bell and whistle on a $4,000 scope for under $300 chinese scope on net. Grabbed cheapest set of 34mm mounts, plastic bushings and range report was it stayed in place. Now to see how long before his scope shakes to pieces.

Steel Shrapnel
January 14, 2017, 12:06
Hi Byron F, years experience with: NFA collector since the late 80s, NFA, IPSC, IDPA, 3-gun, 2-gun competitive shooter, NFA RO, Match director, NRA Safety Range Officer, and spent 1000s of hours over the years on custom built machine guns, submachine guns, long rifles, semi-auto rifles, hand guns, custom reloading, and including expensive airsoft guns for my son’s tournaments.

I’m a Product Development Prototype Tech for large construction equipment manufacture certified background: weld, fabrication, brake-press, roll press, plasma burn table, laser burn table, cnc machining, heavy equipment mechanic, and quality control.

As others have posted cheap scope rings and mounts will not produce the results you desire. Expensive rifle with cheap set-up is just another piece of junk to hassle with. Same old rule; “you get what you pay for”.

The best scope rings I’ve used of late reasonably price with quality CNC machined tolerances is Seekins Precision in $120 ballpark. I’ve taken Seekins rings into work and measured with Computerized Measuring Machine (CMM) gauged within 250 thousandth of an inch. I could not find a single flaw with Seekins’s Rings.

I use Sinclair Scope Ring Alignment Tool to determine proper ring alignment. I never lap rings if Sinclair gauge indicates off alignment and I’m not able to achieve proper adjustments to base mount(s). I’ll take pictures of misalignment, caliber gauge readings, and send scope rings back to the manufacture demanding a refund.

Only once in all my years have I returned scope rings because I always start with reputable quality items regardless of cost. I’ll take the time necessary to save-up money before going cheap on scopes and scope rings. A lesson learned many years ago during the NFA Nationals.

Often tech support will tell you to lap rings, but I don’t use finished products that require removing material for it to work correctly. Once coating is removed from the inside of rings corrosion sets in over time regardless of material specs. If scope rings are misaligned even to the smallest degree you’ll flex your scope tube or minimum create uneven scope ring pressures, which eventually loosens screws.

A flexed scope will zero at a particular distance and hold zero, but only accurate at that particular distance. If you engage target 75yds forward, rearward, or beyond of that particular zero distance you’ll lose accurate MOA estimates.

The right tools for the right job: Torque Wrench Screwdriver, Acetone Base Gun Cleaner, and Blue Mild-Strength Thread Locker. Strictly follow Torque values for Aluminum and Steel Scope Rings recommendations. Common Industry Standards require Aluminum rings 18-25lbs pending on manufacture’s suggestions and Steel Rings generally require 20-35lbs.

Often scope ring manufactures require higher torque values for ring base mount screws compared to top scope ring screws. Always read instructions before assuming you’re the most awesome gun owner in the neighborhood…!

Preparation is another key to success…! Clean all scope ring and firearm mount threaded holes with Acetone based cleaner to remove all oil residue. Dry holes with water separator equipped air hose or cold setting hair dryer. Apply small amount of thread locker only three or four threads deep into holes and end of screws.

Over applying thread locker will create unnecessary bubbling runoff from air pressure trapped as screw tightening into enclosed holes. The extra thread locker may seep in-between scope and rings promoting uneven applied pressures.

Absolutely critical to have thread locker on both female and male threads especially with enclosed threaded holes allowing trapped air pressure to push thread locker away from threads as torque is applied.

At this point set scope onto bottom of mounted rings. Only snug top ring covers so you can turn scope slightly to align reticle. I prefer the old fashion back-up method using Straight Shot Segway Reticle Scale. The newer version MkIII with Bubble Leveler offers additional use with 2nd bubble level on top of turret cap pending on quality of scope.

Another system I prefer is Leupold Zero Point Boresighter pending on muzzle attachments. Leupold’s system offers automatic leveling sight picture and estimated muzzle crown sight-in. Some race ready comps don’t allow the use of Leupold Boresighter. Never found bore lasers as dependable as Leupold for accuracy and reticle alignment.

Use Torque Wrench Tool in an opposite crossover star pattern from screw to screw. Set the Torque Tool to 5-8lbs and torque all screws in a star pattern. Then set Torque Tool to 10-15lbs and retighten screws in same pattern as stage one. Reset Torque Tool to max recommendations for 3rd and last torque cycle for aluminum rings. Add a 4th cycle for Steel Rings max load torque value. Double check scope reticle with sight adjustment tools.

If you’re not willing to invest in torque wrench screwdriver and alignment gauges or have access I recommend highest quality rings and limit distance between rings during installment. The closer the non-gauged rings are mounted to the scope dial turret will limit scope tube flex.

One-Piece Mounts. Here again “you get what you pay for”

The newest and bestest one-piece repeatable zero scope mount is BoBro Engineering and Bobro only. Expensive but worth it especially if you’re one to switch out day scopes, night vision scopes, and/or red dot scopes on a regular bases. BoBro was originally designed to address all late comings with other manufactures missed.

BoBro is one of the very few manufactures to offer Left Side or Right Side QD customer’s choice Levers. BoBro QD One-Piece Scope Mount do not require ring alignment tool, but I always highly recommend Torque Wrench Tool…!

For the most common firearm owner, operator, and competitive shooter will not require frequent removable one-piece scope mount. Most like the ability to remove non-cowitness adjustable 2x+ power scopes if damage so we can access our iron sights. Other than BoBro, manufactures claim repeatable zero one-piece scope mounts rarely achieve pinpoint success beyond 100yd MOA.

One method I’ve used Pre-BoBro is set one-piece mount onto Weaver or Picatinny 1913 rails. Slide the one-piece mount forward until rail slot stop to minimize MOA error beyond 100yds. The older design one-piece scope mounts I recommend is GG&G and American Defense Manufacture because of the locking system applying pressure across a wide area on Rail surfaces.

I especially prefer ADM with their minute index QD setscrew locking adjustment for rail mount pressure. LaRue and A.R.M.S. mounts have smaller surface contact pressure points and tend to gouge aluminum especially removed repeatedly.

idsubgun
January 14, 2017, 16:05
Hi Byron F, years experience with: NFA collector since the late 80s, NFA, IPSC, IDPA, 3-gun, 2-gun competitive shooter, NFA RO, Match director, NRA Safety Range Officer, and spent 1000s of hours over the years on custom built machine guns, submachine guns, long rifles, semi-auto rifles, hand guns, custom reloading, and including expensive airsoft guns for my son’s tournaments.

I’m a Product Development Prototype Tech for large construction equipment manufacture certified background: weld, fabrication, brake-press, roll press, plasma burn table, laser burn table, cnc machining, heavy equipment mechanic, and quality control.

As others have posted cheap scope rings and mounts will not produce the results you desire. Expensive rifle with cheap set-up is just another piece of junk to hassle with. Same old rule; “you get what you pay for”.

The best scope rings I’ve used of late reasonably price with quality CNC machined tolerances is Seekins Precision in $120 ballpark. I’ve taken Seekins rings into work and measured with Computerized Measuring Machine (CMM) gauged within 250 thousands. I could not find a single flaw with Seekins’s Rings.

I use Sinclair Scope Ring Alignment Tool to determine proper ring alignment. I never lap rings if Sinclair gauge indicates off alignment and I’m not able to achieve proper adjustments to base mount(s). I’ll take pictures of misalignment, caliber gauge readings, and send scope rings back to the manufacture demanding a refund.

Only once in all my years have I returned scope rings because I always start with reputable quality items regardless of cost. I’ll take the time necessary to save-up money before going cheap on scopes and scope rings. A lesson learned many years ago during the NFA Nationals.

Often tech support will tell you to lap rings, but I don’t use finished products that require removing material for it to work correctly. Once coating is removed from the inside of rings corrosion sets in over time regardless of material specs. If scope rings are misaligned even to the smallest degree you’ll flex your scope tube or minimum create uneven scope ring pressures, which eventually loosens screws.

A flexed scope will zero at a particular distance and hold zero, but only accurate at that particular distance. If you engage target 75yds forward, rearward, or beyond of that particular zero distance you’ll lose accurate MOA estimates.

The right tools for the right job: Torque Wrench Screwdriver, Acetone Base Gun Cleaner, and Blue Mild-Strength Thread Locker. Strictly follow Torque values for Aluminum and Steel Scope Rings recommendations. Common Industry Standards require Aluminum rings 18-25lbs pending on manufacture’s suggestions and Steel Rings generally require 20-35lbs.

Often scope ring manufactures require higher torque values for ring base mount screws compared to top scope ring screws. Always read instructions before assuming you’re the most awesome gun owner in the neighborhood…!

Preparation is another key to success…! Clean all scope ring and firearm mount threaded holes with Acetone based cleaner to remove all oil residue. Dry holes with water separator equipped air hose or cold setting hair dryer. Apply small amount of thread locker only three or four threads deep into holes and end of screws.

Over applying thread locker will create unnecessary bubbling runoff from air pressure trapped as screw tightening into enclosed holes. The extra thread locker may seep in-between scope and rings promoting uneven applied pressures.

Absolutely critical to have thread locker on both female and male threads especially with enclosed threaded holes allowing trapped air pressure to push thread locker away from threads as torque is applied.

At this point set scope onto bottom of mounted rings. Only snug top ring covers so you can turn scope slightly to align reticle. I prefer the old fashion back-up method using Straight Shot Segway Reticle Scale. The newer version MkIII with Bubble Leveler offers additional use with 2nd bubble level on top of turret cap pending on quality of scope.

Another system I prefer is Leupold Zero Point Boresighter pending on muzzle attachments. Leupold’s system offers automatic leveling sight picture and estimated muzzle crown sight-in. Some race ready comps don’t allow the use of Leupold Boresighter. Never found bore lasers as dependable as Leupold for accuracy and reticle alignment.

Use Torque Wrench Tool in an opposite crossover star pattern from screw to screw. Set the Torque Tool to 5-8lbs and torque all screws in a star pattern. Then set Torque Tool to 10-15lbs and retighten screws in same pattern as stage one. Reset Torque Tool to max recommendations for 3rd and last torque cycle for aluminum rings. Add a 4th cycle for Steel Rings max load torque value. Double check scope reticle with sight adjustment tools.

If you’re not willing to invest in torque wrench screwdriver and alignment gauges or have access I recommend highest quality rings and limit distance between rings during installment. The closer the non-gauged rings are mounted to the scope dial turret will limit scope tube flex.

One-Piece Mounts. Here again “you get what you pay for”

The newest and bestest one-piece repeatable zero scope mount is BoBro Engineering and Bobro only. Expensive but worth it especially if you’re one to switch out day scopes, night vision scopes, and/or red dot scopes on a regular bases. BoBro was originally designed to address all late comings with other manufactures missed.

BoBro is one of the very few manufactures to offer Left Side or Right Side QD customer’s choice Levers. BoBro QD One-Piece Scope Mount do not require ring alignment tool, but I always highly recommend Torque Wrench Tool…!

For the most common firearm owner, operator, and competitive shooter will not require frequent removable one-piece scope mount. Most like the ability to remove non-cowitness adjustable 2x+ power scopes if damage so we can access our iron sights. Other than BoBro, manufactures claim repeatable zero one-piece scope mounts rarely achieve pinpoint success beyond 100yd MOA.

One method I’ve used Pre-BoBro is set one-piece mount onto Weaver or Picatinny 1913 rails. Slide the one-piece mount forward until rail slot stop to minimize MOA error beyond 100yds. The older design one-piece scope mounts I recommend is GG&G and American Defense Manufacture because of the locking system applying pressure across a wide area on Rail surfaces.

I especially prefer ADM with their minute index QD setscrew locking adjustment for rail mount pressure. LaRue and A.R.M.S. mounts have smaller surface contact pressure points and tend to gouge aluminum especially removed repeatedly.

You do know that "250 thousands" is .250", or 1/4", right?

FALonious
January 14, 2017, 19:01
You do know that "250 thousands" is .250", or 1/4", right?

Gotta be a typo..... .0025 maybe?

ByronF
January 14, 2017, 19:06
A CMM should be calibrated on order of 0.00025" or better. Maybe 0.000025".

idsubgun
January 14, 2017, 19:09
Gotta be a typo..... .0025 maybe?

No, if a CMM is only good to .0025" it's junk, and I just realized he called it "Computerized" Measuring Machine, but it's actually a "Coordinate" Measurement Machine. As in X-Y-Z Coordinates.

ByronF
January 15, 2017, 11:03
Thanks all for insights and recommendations. Went with American Defense Recon. Reviews seem favorable.

FALonious
January 15, 2017, 12:15
See, I missed a 0 also...meant to type .00025.

Thank you gentlemen for some good info here.

nvcdl
January 15, 2017, 12:25
I've had good luck using inexpensive chinese made scope mounts on my ARs.

Cornpone
January 15, 2017, 14:41
Check out the Geissele Super Precision Mount. Best there is. It's not cheap but any mount that's good isn't going to be cheap. I'm sure once you try one you'll never use another mount for an AR again.

ByronF
January 15, 2017, 16:12
Check out the Geissele Super Precision Mount. Best there is. It's not cheap but any mount that's good isn't going to be cheap. I'm sure once you try one you'll never use another mount for an AR again.

While I will agree that a $30 Leapers mount is a turd, I'm not yet ready to accept that the $100 difference between a Geissele and the next lower alternative is money well spent. This coming from the guy who opened the thread asking for advice. I'm not buying into $280 scope mounts. If anyone can show, with statistical significance, that a $280 mount shoots with more repeatable accuracy than a $150 mount then eat my hat. Otherwise, I'll start rebranding Geissele mounts with my name for $500 and ByroTac mounts will be the next big deal for the discriminating shooter and Faberge egg collector.

phillyray
January 15, 2017, 17:29
I use Aero precision extended mounts and they work great. They are not quick detach but Ive never had to remove my scope in a hurry so thats not an issue for me.

http://shop.brownells.com/optics-mounting/rings-mounts-amp-bases/mount-sets/ultralight-30mm-spr-scope-mount-black-sku953000013-73338-155890.aspx?cm_mmc=PPC-_-Itwine-_-Google-_-953-000-013&gclid=CIryjeaZxdECFVuHswodMJ4OdQ

Cornpone
January 15, 2017, 23:14
While I will agree that a $30 Leapers mount is a turd, I'm not yet ready to accept that the $100 difference between a Geissele and the next lower alternative is money well spent. This coming from the guy who opened the thread asking for advice. I'm not buying into $280 scope mounts. If anyone can show, with statistical significance, that a $280 mount shoots with more repeatable accuracy than a $150 mount then eat my hat. Otherwise, I'll start rebranding Geissele mounts with my name for $500 and ByroTac mounts will be the next big deal for the discriminating shooter and Faberge egg collector.

You sound just like the cheap guys at the akfiles and barfcom. The mount I suggested is worth every penny and then some but hey there's no telling you or the other people like you so go on with your cheap self. I refuse to argue with walmart shoppers anymore.

idsubgun
January 16, 2017, 18:11
You sound just like the cheap guys at the akfiles and barfcom. The mount I suggested is worth every penny and then some but hey there's no telling you or the other people like you so go on with your cheap self. I refuse to argue with walmart shoppers anymore.

Damn boy, who put the burr under your saddle?

W.E.G.
January 16, 2017, 18:24
I use the Larue LT-104 one-piece rings/mount on my service rifle with a 1-4x Leupold scope.

The LT-104 can be had in 1" and 30mm.

The LT-104 has been vetted eight ways to Sunday.

I especially love the fact that I don't have to worry about the rings being "lined up right" relative to the base.

Buy and use with confidence.

I shoot high master scores with that rig at 600 yards.

$210 is the going rate. And worth it.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/rifle%20pics/AR-15/service%20rifle_zps5ipdizkv.jpg

hueyville
January 18, 2017, 16:51
Price and type of mount is deftly proportional to quality of barrel and optics used on each rifle. Do not need a $200+ mount on $79 barrel with $75 used junk box scope. A $500+ barrel with $1,000+ scope warrants a totally different type of mount. $5,000 set of rims and a NOPI sticker doesn't make a Honda Accord a sports car. That said, have some really cheap, under $40 two piece mounts holding some $199 Leupold 3x-9x Black Friday scopes that shoot 1 MOA with appropriate ammo. If my time mattered using the cheap mounts was money losing effort due to all the time it took to fit them to upper then scope to mounts.

W.E.G.
January 18, 2017, 17:30
True.

You can do OK if you set-it-and-forget-it with a lot of the cheap scopes a low-recoil rifle.

If you start repeatedly dicking with the adjustments on the cheap scopes you're in for a disappointment.

I only have time to shoot accurate guns. Plinkers no longer interest me.
My time has the same value, whether I'm doing "serious" shooting, or whether I'm just flinging bullets downrange.

idsubgun
January 18, 2017, 17:40
I only have time to shoot accurate guns. Plinkers no longer interest me.
My time has the same value, whether I'm doing "serious" shooting, or whether I'm just flinging bullets downrange.

Man, what an old fuddy-duddy!

idsubgun
January 18, 2017, 17:43
Crap! I just looked up fuddy-duddy to make sure it meant what I thought it meant.

Definition:

"An old, boring, no humor, crabby, no imagination, anal-retentive person."

That describes ME!! lol

W.E.G.
January 18, 2017, 17:54
Admit I'm pretty duddy.

Try not to be too fuddy though.

Seriously, after pushing some 100K bullets downrange, I really am at the point where if the only point is to push bullets downrange, there is no point.

hkshooter
January 18, 2017, 19:03
Seriously, after pushing some 100K bullets downrange, I really am at the point where if the only point is to push bullets downrange, there is no point.

Quoted for truth.

idsubgun
January 18, 2017, 19:39

That's why I sold all my machineguns.

hueyville
January 18, 2017, 20:20
That's why I sold all my machineguns.

Sold all mine 1st bout with cancer but two so wife not have headache dealing with them. The little M11's in 380 are too much hassle fun to part with. Suppressor and laser sight and just put the red dot on it and squeeze. Magazine dumps so fast limit rounds by size of magazine. If any weapon was perfectly suited for laser the Ingrams are it. Sights and wire stocks suck but if able put on target and keep it there, a lot of firepower in a small package. 380 with a can e en the wife can handle with ease. Sounds kind of like a cordless hammer drill running. No muzzle limb to fight and don't care who comes in the bouse, 30 round mag dump center of mass is bound to alter their plans.

JeffJ
January 18, 2017, 20:58
WEG, is that a 20moa or no?

W.E.G.
January 18, 2017, 22:02
WEG, is that a 20moa or no?

No claimed MOA correction on that mount. I find that many 1-piece mounts shoot 5-10 MOA high when mounted on an AR. Not sure why that is. I guess it's in the right direction, if you care about such things.

The scope has crazy range of adjustment. IIRC, 125 or 150 MOA from top to bottom. Seeing as how I only need about 25 MOA to get me to 600 yards, I'd say any concern about needing MOA built into the mount is moot.

W.E.G.
January 18, 2017, 22:09
There are mounts out there with extra MOA built in. Absolutely no reason to use them unless you are shooting farther than 600 yards, or if you have some unique weirdness in how your rifle is configured.

I have no interest in shooting 5.56 past 600.

ByronF
January 19, 2017, 05:27
The American Defense Recon ring screws have pre-applied loctite, which is fairly stiff stuff. Makes torquing then to any predictable clamping force impossible. Guess I'll clean that off and use liquid loctite instead.

TenTea
January 19, 2017, 09:12
My preferences, developed over years of T&E (who cares?):

Tactical Precision Rings (TSR) in steel.

http://www.tpsproducts.com/

Larue Tactical for any one-piece mount or rail.

http://www.larue.com/

I also tried some Warne QD rings last year (10/22) and they are good, so far.

http://warnescopemounts.com/product-category/rings/quick-detach/

W.E.G.
January 19, 2017, 11:18
Now, I could be persuaded to do this once or twice for the sake of "just pushing bullets downrange."

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OOe-TEJlV4E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

hueyville
January 19, 2017, 16:39
Now, I could be persuaded to do this once or twice for the sake of "just pushing bullets downrange."

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OOe-TEJlV4E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Who posted the picture of my attic? All the work have put into not posting pictures of my house and wham, the attic is everywhere on the net apparently.

W.E.G.
January 19, 2017, 18:02
Do you even have friendly, bearded, attic imps?

idsubgun
January 19, 2017, 19:36

Doesn't everyone??

hueyville
January 19, 2017, 19:50

No, my attic imps are very unfriendly, antisocial and usually smell from lack of shower thus reason for keeping in attic. At least they keep the equipment running and don't drink enough beer to break me.

Finishing five more assorted builds. Two nice rifles, one mid quality and two total junk box/take off OEM parts with $49 to $69 clearance barrels. Scrounging junk boxes for optics before pull N.I.B. optics from the inventory keep back for rifles that deserve good optics. Already decided the nicer builds are going to get a Leupold 4x-12x 40mm and a Vortex Strike Eagle 1x-6x.

Found these to choose from for the other three builds so don't dig into the remaining nicer pieces of glass.

http://i68.tinypic.com/ictiwz.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/244634o.jpg

Likely be a long time before slum to using the Bushnell 3x-9x but was given to me free at LGS along with several others when we were cleaning up gunsmithing area to clear some clutter. Can't bring myself to throw a scope away that funtions, might be fine for a rimfire to give to a kid someday. The 1x red dot Burris have same on over 10 rifles and not had one let me down yet. The C More has some handling marks but glass is perfect, aluminum instead of plastic body and never had a C More give any issues.

The mid quality is another 14.7" 6.8 spc II thus likely get the C More, the two junk box rifles each have a set of plastic BUIS sights so should always have some sort of functioning sighting system and trying to decide if the Burris red dot gets put on one or save and use the Bushnell. Once sighted in will likely never shoot again, just put in a vault for rainy day. The tall Burris mount cowitnesses the Burris perfectly with BUIS sights. The BEC Gold Label 3x-12x lighted reticle with adjustable objective is one of the best reviewed under $100 retail scopes have Googled. It was $5 with mounts, odd thing is can find new for $79 but on ebay people will bid used ones up to $60 bucks and more. One of the cheap builds has a $49 16" Palmetto post Christmas 2014 1:8 twist barrel, likely going to put the BEC on it just to run an endurance test. Interested to see how well it works and if able to shake it apart.

A few years ago the idea of putting free and $5 scopes on AR's would have been foreign to me. But when ended up with so many parts, building a rifle or two a month became regular, could not drop $400 to $1,000 piece of glass or optic on top of all. At age 50 glass of any kind became appreciated. Can still work a set of iron sights but glass is easier. Four out of five builds get function tested and gas system tuned, sighted, cleaned and put away likely to never shoot again. The one out of five going into regular rotation get good optics.

hkshooter
January 21, 2017, 17:05
AR mount. I have one of these (http://www.samson-mfg.com/product/DMR30-2.html) on my trunk gun. Got no complaints.

http://www.samson-mfg.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/DMR-30-2-600_540x500.jpg

BiGB808
January 24, 2017, 14:52
I love sitting on my dock and listening to the howitzers burp at night at Eglin.

Like a lullaby between the bofors and cicadas

Fn/form
January 24, 2017, 18:39
I love sitting on my dock and listening to the howitzers burp at night at Eglin.

Like a lullaby between the bofors and cicadas

I'd love to hear it!

FALonious
February 08, 2017, 05:47
Some quite pricey mounts here http://www.spuhr.biz/ :eek:

hueyville
February 08, 2017, 08:22
Past week my 22 Nosler and fast twist 6.8 barrel landed, found a unopened Palmetto box from eND of year 2015 and made a call to WOA and suddenly looking at leat ten new builds. Stopped at LGS and picked up two more 3x-9x Leupolds and two more 1x-6x Vortexs. Pilfered junk box and found six pair of assorted diameter and height two piece mounts they gave me. A little sugaring lapping and refinish will be fine for the under $99 Palmetto barrels. Picked up two bolt on Burris PEPR mounts for the Leupolds which the "made in china" decals still drive me nuts.

Was checking fleabay early this morning and noticed all the chinese Burris knock offs at stupid cheap prices. Knowing how the chinese are, expect some are made on same equipment the Burris name brands are. Anyone tried the fleabay copies? Went to Midway and ordered a Warne 1 Gen 2 one piece, an AR Stoner 1 piece and a Leupold Mk 4 one piece mount to see how each works. If the AR Stoner works it's a bargain, skipped all the varients with single screw per side on rings varients. Was suprise to see that the Leupold Mk 2's only had single screws per side on the rings but not on the Nikons. Purchased a few Nikon scopes when first hit the market and all let me down, tried again a couple years ago and same deal. As well as they build cameras, suprising their scopes seem so troublesome.

Now to start cruising discussion board market places for a couple of gently used nicer scopes. Have done well with used scopes in past as long as stayed with brands I know and have good service centers if any issues. So will be testing three new to me mounts expect the Warne and Leupold to be good. Got my Midway birthday discount is why loaded heavy this morning.

TenTea
February 08, 2017, 08:27
So, 10 new WOA barrels?

You're in the tall cotton, sir.

They make a nice barrel for precision AR work. :bow:

Fn/form
February 08, 2017, 16:09
Some quite pricey mounts here http://www.spuhr.biz/ :eek:

You could save a few bucks with GDI (https://www.cstactical.com/global-defense-initiatives.aspx). hehehehe

hueyville
February 09, 2017, 08:53
So, 10 new WOA barrels?

You're in the tall cotton, sir.

They make a nice barrel for precision AR work. :bow:

No, found six barrels in big gun room cleanup. Just the one new WOA unit along with three barrels from Midway, Red Barn and Faxon.

TenTea
February 09, 2017, 10:12
No, found six barrels in big gun room cleanup. Just the one new WOA unit along with three barrels from Midway, Red Barn and Faxon.

I'm imagining your gunroom...could a man hide out in there? :D

Anytime I have *extra* barrels laying around, they turn into shootable units in no time.

hueyville
February 09, 2017, 16:03
I'm imagining your gunrooms...could a man hide out in there? :D

Anytime I have *extra* barrels laying around, they turn into shootable units in no time.

Fixed it for you. more than one is plural not singular. My issue is sometimes find a deal where buy so many of one item to use all would break me. Especially after Christmas 2015. Was buying six packs in the morning then again at work and again at night when new special popped up. My hookup at a major quality vendor retired end of 2016 so now that pipeline is gone, imagine all the blems and over runs are going to the "new guys" friends. Called WOA yesterday and not a single thing in the "gotta get out of our way" pile. We had an appropriate moment of silence. Its now after 4:00 pm and missed lunch shooting break due to needy client so need to go light the range up and go home to play in that gun room. Actually the downstairs gun room.