PDA

View Full Version : LEO L1A1 Gunbroker

hntrdarren
January 01, 2017, 09:45
BSA LEO L1A1 rifle on Gunbroker auction 609327752

Bubacus
January 01, 2017, 10:00
She is a pretty gal....I didn't know they did an LEO only import of these.

Flypaper
January 01, 2017, 10:15
A bit pricey I would say.

James
January 01, 2017, 11:07

I agree but as you know anything can happen!!

James

Riversidesports
January 01, 2017, 11:51
She is a pretty gal....I didn't know they did an LEO only import of these.

Century sold quite a few about the same time they imported UK SLRs as kits
Well before that ARMEX in California brought in a mess of Lithgowe SLRs as LEO only

To qualify an officer needed to provide letterhead documentation from a supervisor approving the purchase as a "duty" weapon.

There used to be a number of these kinda' loophole benefits to carrying a badge however over the years the Feds have became rather anal about it all with some LEOs buying post sample HKs and turning them into parts sets and other shanagans.

They are really rather a Grey Market deal
In 2001 there was a retired Chief of Police from Arkansas set up at the big Tulsa show that had LEO SLRs STACKED Up three deep in a layer across a table, cash and carry for $575.00 a pop still in their original shipping boxes.
Those went Fast, by the end of saturday they were Gone.

Gunplumber has made a few posts relative to these. I used to view them as somehow prohibited but after reading Mark's reasoned posts I tend to see them in the same light as anything else non NFA that was sold/distributed to agencies.

A great deal more of the Century UK SLRs are out there than the ARMEX Australian SLRs. Seem to recall the ARMEX SLRs hit the LE market in the late 70s, the Century guns were some years later.
Still have a number of old LE Sales flyers from both ARMEX & Century filed away somewhere. Sticks in my head the ARMEX SLRs were advertised well under $200.00
Of course 1928 Navy Overstamp Thompsons were about the same price, Swede Ks were like $125.00

Value ?
Dunno but 5K seems insane as they still do crop up at gun shows for well under 2K occasionally.
Yet to have seen any of the ARMEX surplus Lithgowes for sale lately.

There were as well a small number of Canadian C1s that were imported by LE out of Canada. I personally have known of several that came in legally as a LEO import here in the upper Midwest many years ago.

308/223shooter
January 01, 2017, 12:56
Not certain but I believe this is the one I had a chance to buy about a year ago. The price was quite reasonable and I wanted one, so I sole my Argie para to Robin. Then when I went to buy the SLR the seller jacked the price to a un-reasonable amount.
If this is the same one, I did not know about the extras, as he never mentioned them to me, and even if I had the five grand I wouldn't buy it.
I should've kept the Argie.

SAFN49
January 01, 2017, 13:53

I would say so too.

A Century LEO with mixed parts is worth ~$2850. I would say this one with accessories is worth ~$3500 - $3550.

I have a Century mix master LEO on an Indian receiver.

C2A1
January 01, 2017, 14:44
ARMEX also brought in a small number of Indian 1A1s in the 70s. It seems most of these went to Border patrol agents as that who had all that I have actually seen. The last time I saw one was in the mid 90s. Never have seen one for sale.

Parga
January 02, 2017, 01:06
I remember when Century had this listed in the LE flyers, they were $125

Rudolf
January 02, 2017, 11:45
Mark was with me and he was right next to me when I chatted up with ATF ken Hutchens and another ATF tech branch and also a lawyer that had a table with a LEO L1A1.

They all agreed that ATF would lose in court because of the once a machine gun always a gun machine ruling.

WHY?

Because the L1A1 in any service was never used as a machine gun, it was always a semi automatic battle rifle.

I saw 2 of them at the SAR show 2008 and they were both NIB.

01BIRDDOG
January 02, 2017, 19:21
These seem to run hot and cold, some bringing good money and other times need a bump start.

SAFN49
January 02, 2017, 19:29
I remember when Century had this listed in the LE flyers, they were $125

Yeah, and I have a FN 50.63 I paid $50 for. It's all about the timing.

enbloc8
January 03, 2017, 12:47
Were those Armex or Canadian rifles import-marked at all? I wonder how (or if) one could differentiate those from one that "walked across" from Canada.

Riversidesports
January 03, 2017, 16:57
Were those Armex or Canadian rifles import-marked at all? I wonder how (or if) one could differentiate those from one that "walked across" from Canada.

No import markings period on LE imports out of Canada
They were not imported through an American importer as such there was no requirement to apply markings

Yes, things walked across the 49th often but there is no real way to distinguish one from the other and frankly ATF has better things to do then to concern themselves with import provenance on non NFA firearms
remember, there wasn't just a Law Enforcement loophole, there used to be a solid military loophole as well as another for Diplomatic Services.

Used to be a retired gentleman out in Montana that had two Belgian G series FALs he used to try to sell at shows. He bought them as a NATO attache while stationed in Brussels, brought them Stateside in the 70s
Knew an Air Force Col. that brought in a semi auto Stirling open bolt Police "Carbine" that he had extended the barrel on. That gem came in during the late 70s.
I mean really, do you think Saddam's pistol that is in GWBs presidential library is importer marked ?
There were a ton of high end shotguns seized from Saddam and his sons that were presented to various Generals as well, God only knows what else.

Then you have imports by non Importers
a regular 01 FFL can do occasional imports, used to be a non licensee could do a personal import. None of these were marked
Here's one to ponder
up through 86' surplus military arms were barred for civilian sales
the loophole was that if the rifle had never been owned by a military it could be imported !
That's how a very small number of FALs were discreetly imported in the old days. They were commercially sold abroad.

Part of the problem is most people assume there were always hard & fast rules on these things
There were not, there were many work arounds that ATF, Customs & the State dept as well as DoD gradually tightened up but never totally closed..

Anyways it is enormously difficult to establish whether a gun was smuggled in or whether it came in through legit means
I have not even touched upon all the guns that have came in from overseas through the Merchant Marine services
Back in the 70s, even later guys would buy guns at overseas ports and bring them Stateside. Nobody gave a crap

Just sayin' don't overthink this too much...
it will make your head hurt