PDA

View Full Version : Recrown and Threading?

Fort Knox
December 30, 2016, 12:51
Would it be insane to think that I could do this myself? I don't want to disassemble the rifle and I also am not keen on mailing it out. If mailing it out is necessary and financially feasible then I will. I have threaded rod and tubing before, granted with a lathe, but could this be done at home?

I have a local smith, but he doesn't thread barreled actions. This thing runs great and I don't wanna mess with retiming and all that.

Kyle

lysanderxiii
December 30, 2016, 14:05
At the very least the gas block has to come off. You might get the barrel through the spindle, and have enough sticking out to thread the muzzle, depends on the machine.

gunseller
December 30, 2016, 15:58
If your you have a long enough bed you can make a mandrel to go in the action and thread the barrel without taking anything off the rifle.
Steve

meltblown
December 30, 2016, 16:06
GP does it. But I'm wondering what the OP is saying. He's threaded on a lathe before but wants to do it at home. I think he's implying that he doesn't have a lathe.

The barrel has to be undercut for the major thread diameter and the undercut at the muzzle. Then threaded. Not sure how one could get the undercut without a lathe.

01BIRDDOG
December 30, 2016, 16:20
All goes well until you get that cold chill knowing that the train ran off the track. Just take it slow and easy.

tdb59
December 30, 2016, 16:28
If your you have a long enough bed you can make a mandrel to go in the action and thread the barrel without taking anything off the rifle.
Steve

This.

Receiver jig and use the 4 jaw.

FUUN063
December 30, 2016, 16:35
Options:

1.) Use a hand tap and thread yourself (I would use a jig, preferably).
2.) Leave it on the receiver and find an FFL gunsmith to thread on a lathe.
3.) Take the barrel off and send it out to be threaded.
4.) Take it off and thread yourself on a borrowed lathe.

There may be more options, but this pretty much sums it up.

Which ever you decide, good luck in the project.

Leland

gunplumber
December 30, 2016, 18:55
You have to move the flash hider step back 1/2" and reduce the OD to 9/16 at the muzzle for 1/2". You can do it by hand, but it takes a lot of skill and patience and really knowing how to run a file. Then a piloted hand tap.

Then a key cutter for the flash hider index. Or be really good with a small Dremel cut-off wheel.

I charge $125 for the service (on a lathe on or off receiver).

lysanderxiii
December 30, 2016, 21:05
You have to move the flash hider step back 1/2" and reduce the OD to 9/16 at the muzzle for 1/2". You can do it by hand, but it takes a lot of skill and patience and really knowing how to run a file. Then a piloted hand tap.

Then a key cutter for the flash hider index. Or be really good with a small Dremel cut-off wheel.

For that price, I would do this, worth it to know the threads are concentric to the barrel OD and parallel to the bore.

Lee Carpentieri
December 31, 2016, 04:15
Send it to Gunplumber, He's been at it for over twenty years now and KNOWS what he is doing.

Rudolf
December 31, 2016, 05:23
Ditto on sending it to FunPlumber.....seriously..... the work will come back very nicely done.

Yeah...you can get kudos and attaboy points for doing it yourself. It's a great feeling in all but only if you have all of the right tools and you have the time and patience to do it correctly and right.

Then add the fact if its concentric or not......

All in all, its about calculated risk and what you are willing to live with if done wrong.

jhend170
January 04, 2017, 10:09

$125 to Mark now or more when you bugger it up, need a new barrel, locking shoulder, and whatever else gets jacked up in the process. I'd start packing it up now.