View Full Version : New FAL/L1a1 owner, please help identify!

December 28, 2016, 09:07
Hey guys I got this FAL/L1a1 from my father in law for Christmas. I first saw it about 12 years ago when I first started dating my wife and he was showing it to me. I've always admired it and it is fun to shoot. I would like some help identifying whether or not it is inch/metric (I'm pretty sure it's inch) and just some general tips. Here are the pictures I have of it right now, I can take more and post later tonight.

Also I have a Bushnell 4-9x40 coming in and I'll be taking those mbus off and putting them on my AR.

December 28, 2016, 09:13
A very interesting and rare FAL. Thanks for sharing.

December 28, 2016, 09:32
Thank you! :beer:

What makes it rare?

December 28, 2016, 09:54
Congratulations and welcome to Falfiles. Nice L1A1. Please post close-up pictures of the front and rear sights.

December 28, 2016, 10:26
Styre hinge pin, FAL mag release, BHO looks L1 from this angle.
Looks like Canadian handguards.
DSA top cover scope mount.
Unknown muzzle device.
CAI upper receiver cut for L1 folding charging handle and probably top cover tabs. Need a pic of the front of the magwell for mag ID.
Looks like thermold FAL mag.
Sand cut carrier most likely L1, bolt is probably L1 also.
I'm also interested in a pic of the front sight base/gas block.

Need more pics with better lighting but it looks like its mostly Commonwealth parts.

Looks like a nice rifle but please spend a little $ and replace the gas block and install correct rear sight. The Commonwealth rear sight folds down so it won't be an issue with a scope.

December 28, 2016, 10:36
I plan to get a front sight gas block and a rear sight, just need to know which to buy. I'll post pictures later tonight and maybe you guys can point me towards the right parts to buy.

It came with 6x20 round thermold mags.

Muzzle device is for a silencer, as my father in law has several silencers and my wife is the head of the trust they belong to, including myself.

December 28, 2016, 10:37
Your rifle was built by CAI, a US importer and builder of military or foreign weapons. The original rifle was likely a British or Aussie L1A1 guessing by the Lower Receiver. Without more detailed pics or a description of the markings, I can't get much more info from the pic supplied. The original rifle's receiver was demilled due to being capable of full-auto operation.

Century used what ever parts it could find and your rifle may be all L1A1 parts or may have some FAL or metric parts mixed in.

I have not seen MBUS on a L1A1 before and would look for the original iron sights to put back if it were mine.
The scope rail is not standard, but will serve well for scope mounting.

There is a ton of info on L1A1's here, try a google search followed by fal files for any specific info you may be interested in.

December 28, 2016, 10:46
Thanks everyone for your help so far. It had a magnified red dot sight (hence the MBUS) on it but he did not let that go with the rifle. I will get some more detailed pictures of the rifle tonight. I'll take the handguard off, the bolt out, and anything else you guys might want to see.

December 28, 2016, 18:57
Out of curiosity, I'd like to see more detailed photos of the front gas block.

December 28, 2016, 21:40
Here are the updated pictures

December 29, 2016, 01:37
Metric barrel, inch lower so you have a mix of parts. Gas block looks like one DSA sells.

December 29, 2016, 12:44
FSE hammer is US made, First Son Enterprises. Your trigger and sear are probably also US made, check for FSE markings on them. Your bolt and charging handle are Australian L1A1. Selector, frame lock/locking lever and carrier are British L1A1. Check barrel for markings on left side for British barrel. Australian barrel will have a 1 or 2 letter code. Also looks like a British stock, check for markings by the tang. Check for markings on the handguards by the screw and the pistol grip under the trigger plate.

December 29, 2016, 12:53
Looks like L1 bbl that was milled and fitted with the pic block. There should be some meat between the GB and front sling swivel journal. The handguard ring looks FAL as does the BHO in the new pix. Gas regulator is FAL because of the GB. Gas tube is L1 unless the pin is missing and it has turned a bit.

Does the bbl have any markings like 960-2006?

Mix of FAL, L1A1, & USA parts. As long as she runs well is all that matters.

January 01, 2017, 11:13
I don't think you can put a metric gas block on an inch barrel because of the angle of the gas port. Based on the gas plug and gas regulator that's a metric gas block.