PDA

View Full Version : unde-milling a parade m1

elchunkogrande
December 27, 2016, 15:35
Anyone here ever tried to convert a parade rifle m1 back to operational? Would obviously take a new barrel and bolt and the removal of a few welds. Worth trying?

tdb59
December 27, 2016, 15:39
Anyone here ever tried to convert a parade rifle m1 back to operational? Would obviously take a new barrel and bolt and the removal of a few welds. Worth trying?

Not worth the effort, at least not yet.

Heat has possibly compromised the front receiver bridge.

def90
December 27, 2016, 17:56
Most parade rifles are made out of non-repairable rifles at the arsenal.. why try to rebuild something that the military at some point took out of the system because it was no longer a refurbishable part?

Thomas
December 27, 2016, 18:54
There used to be M1's at some of the VFW's that just had the op rod welded.
Have not seen any for 40 years.

Steggo
December 27, 2016, 22:35
Why?

It would take a lot of work, require expensive new parts and at the end of the day what do you have? A $#!+ grade, bottom of the barrel rifle.

With a new barrel, the 80's Blue Sky import I use as a range blaster would be a better rifle by an order of magnitude. I could instantly recoup the rebuild cost if I sold it. Not true with a rehabbed drill rifle.

Decent Garands are by no means rare or hard to find. I can't see spending good money on one where the receiver has a kiss of death level flaw.

AliYahu
December 27, 2016, 22:38
Depends on the demil - some were plugs welded in the barrel and spot welds between the barrel and receiver, others are much more involved.

Eli

Parga
December 27, 2016, 23:54
Just finished another BM59E build on a drill receiver, no discoloring after reparking, the spot weld was just a quick blob.

Riversidesports
December 28, 2016, 12:08
Depends on the demil - some were plugs welded in the barrel and spot welds between the barrel and receiver, others are much more involved.

Eli

^^^THIS^^^

Some they didn't even plug the barrel !
All that was done was to grind the FP & tack the barrel to the receiver...

Some of this was done on virtually unissued rifles
First one I did around 78' was one of those, a VFW Parade rifle
replaced the FP and rear handguard after draw filing the tack weld flush. Just a touch of cold blue. Total investment was around $140.00, swapped it for two so-so Lugers a few months and 100s of rounds later.

Now the DP rifles CMP was selling, those were hit pretty hard and were pretty poor guns before the work

Tack welds don't screw up heat treat often
besides the primary load bearing surface is the damn LUGS
not the barrel ring...

yovinny
December 28, 2016, 13:20
De-mill's are one thing..Parade rifles are a whole different animal.
AFAIK. Parade M1's were usually made with actions that failed rebuild testing.
That testing measures stretch and/or compression of critical areas of the action itself.
I would be very leery of putting in lots of work on anything that was a 'parade' weapon.

Just my .02
VY

machinegunner
December 29, 2016, 16:55
know someone who got one that was filled with cement. he turned it into a nice rifle.

elchunkogrande
December 30, 2016, 04:51
Well, the reason I ask is that I just got mine running. It had the gas cylinder tacked to the lock, didn't even penetrate to the screw. The barrel was welded to the receiver and it's chamber plugged and there was a bit of weld in the operating rod channel on the receiver. The bolt face had a weld on it. All welds were mig with very soft wire. I used the lathe to remove the weld on the barrel and milled all else. I have a good barrel fixture and adapted one of my action wrenches and the barrel screwed right off.
Found a barrel on ebay for $21.30. Decent bore, still shiney. Screwed right in and head space was OK. Front sight hangs out a little to the left in order to center the rear but it shoots decent groups and functions well. Replaced the stock with one I had in my stuff since the one on it was cracked. I'm happy. Now to find a cast bullet load it likes.

gunplumber
December 30, 2016, 08:06
I just had one of those a few days ago. In international harvester. lock welded to gas cylinder, screw with grenade plug punched out. Machined it off, replaced lock and screw.

Barrel is also welded to receiver.

Not sure why that configuration as it would allow the gun to fire, just not cycle.

Customer declined cutting receiver weld, but it looked doable with little risk.

jimmieZ
December 30, 2016, 10:09
I had purchased one just as GP related back in 1985 in Florida. It had come from a VFW post and, I was told, was so configured to prevent adding any inconspicuous muzzle devices to allow semi-auto operation with blanks. The VFW rifles were intended to fire single rounds, manually eject/reload and fire again - all part of the ceremony. Regardless, I carefully cut the GC lock screw and replaced the damaged parts - rifle worked very well after that.

Riversidesports
December 31, 2016, 22:47
De-mill's are one thing..Parade rifles are a whole different animal.
AFAIK. Parade M1's were usually made with actions that failed rebuild testing.
That testing measures stretch and/or compression of critical areas of the action itself.
I would be very leery of putting in lots of work on anything that was a 'parade' weapon.

Just my .02
VY

Depends on who turned them out as drill or parade guns
Plenty of these were sourced out of VFW posts and Military Academies, there was no universal standard on the welding or what rifles were used in the makeover
Many were done locally, not in DoD armories

yovinny
January 02, 2017, 10:25
Depends on who turned them out as drill or parade guns
Plenty of these were sourced out of VFW posts and Military Academies, there was no universal standard on the welding or what rifles were used in the makeover
Many were done locally, not in DoD armories

True that...

Probably just my way of thinking, but to me a converted to fire blanks only isent a 'parade rifle',,,,but rather called a 'drill rifle'.

'Parade rifles' I'm familiar with have all been welded together and are non operational, at all. Blank firing rifles might be blocked from firing regular ammo or working semi-auto, but are still operational otherwise.

My terms might be just mine, so excuse me.
I'm just a dumb, uneducated, city boy...:angel:

Cheers, YV

Falcon
January 02, 2017, 12:02
I see M1 drill rifles at the CMP South store for $380., they had 6 of them a few weeks ago. From what I understand on the CMP forum, if the welds are small enough it's possible to bring them back to life.

Potential drill rifle receiver recovery question (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=138167&highlight)

Drill rifle search at thecmp.org forum (http://forums.thecmp.org/search.php?searchid=3987215)