PDA

View Full Version : the flinch

December 27, 2016, 00:50
i noted junior was flinching with pistolas.
took him to the range & said we will play russian roulette.
i loaded 5 empty cartridges & one live 357 mag round in the colt python, the finest revolver of all time. told him to fire all rounds double action.
he proceeded to flinch that first round like a whore in church. told him that was embarrassing. second & third round the same. shameful.
finally "boom" missed the target.
after 10 more rounds of roulette he finally calmed down & went to all six live rounds. rounds on target, flinch about gone. just needs a little more work.

Bawana jim
December 27, 2016, 13:26
It's just personal opinion but I like Smiths double actions better. While Colts are really smooth it's a stacking trigger pull that you learn the feel of the break and it comes as a surprise. Smiths click click bang gives you that moment for best sight picture more like a single action.

In my worthless opinion flinch comes from not knowing enough before picking up the firearm. Cost a lot of money to get them to break the habit once they start it.:rofl:

TenTea
December 27, 2016, 13:43
I still flinch a little, once in awhile.

Usually when I'm tired and shooting heavies...or possibly when I've consumed a bit too much coffee. ;)

Invictus77
December 27, 2016, 13:56
I still flinch a little, once in awhile......

..... possibly when I've consumed a bit too much coffee. ;)

I've learned that my absolute best shooting is around noon on a Sunday after I come home from church for a late brunch with a vodka & OJ.

Hands are steady as a rock and my mind is clear then.

Unfortunately deer don't move that time of day and rangemasters at competitive functions tend to frown toward alcohol consumption :(

D P Six
December 27, 2016, 19:59
If flinching is an issue I would suggest backing down to a target load 38 special if not a 22. Load two loaded rounds and spin cylinder and close. Instant feedback if there are flinching/trigger problems. A good drill is to balance an empty towards front of barrel (with empty gun) and do single and double action dry fire practice. All the years of shooting DA revolvers and I can still pull shots low and left. I

December 28, 2016, 01:35
i had a handful o 38's we fired prior to the mags. very little recoil.
i fondled a sw 586 4" at the fun store, very nice for a non python.

FUUN063
December 28, 2016, 08:37
I'm with Jim up above. A Colt may be very nice (I've had just all of them), but it's no Smith and Wesson 19 or 27 or any pre-model.

Flinchers react well to using light loads or .22's as has been said, in my experience any way. Fine job taking junior out, too. Blast away.

Leland

TenTea
December 28, 2016, 10:44
[/snip]...rangemasters at competitive functions tend to frown toward alcohol consumption :(

Funny story about this in Hell, I Was There, by Elmer Keith.

He learned the match leading, Marine Corps pistol team at Perry was taking a nip, prior to heading to the line and seemingly improving their scores.
He decided to imbibe with his Army team members and reported improved scores, too. :rofl:

19&41
December 28, 2016, 15:53
I usually take multiple calibers to the range and start with the largest. the 9s and 38s seem tame and easy to maintain full control after a few mags of 45 acp. it's the same for an AR following a L1A1.