PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice on a 1911 problem....

cowbilly
December 25, 2016, 18:57
I have a Colt series 70 standard .45 ACP, high round count (shoot it a lot) recently the half cock started dropping when the trigger is pulled. Safety works fine at full cock, grip safety works, but hammer will drop if trigger is pulled on half-cock. Never did this before-could it be the hammer/sear engagement? Is there something else I need to look at? I figured the mainspring or hammer itself is just worn out but figured I would ask here before I start pulling it apart and replacing parts. Pistol functions fine other than that one issue. It has a great trigger pull, would not want to do anything to change that too much.

Thanks in advance for the advise.

tdb59
December 25, 2016, 19:04
Check the 3 finger spring for proper contact and tension first.

ColeKira
December 25, 2016, 19:10
Check the 3 finger spring for proper contact and tension first.

I had the same issue and it turned out to be a bad trigger job.
Also, according to a few guys I know, the problem is your 1911 is not a Glock.

Invictus77
December 25, 2016, 19:19
high round count (shoot it a lot)

Replace main spring first. Easy swap and most probable culprit IMHO.

the problem is your 1911 is not a Glock.

That is true. It is sort of like a Glock, but for men :biggrin:

tdb59
December 25, 2016, 20:09
Replace main spring first. Easy swap and most probable culprit IMHO.

?

How does that have anything to do with the OPs problem ?
Mainspring

http://www.keepshooting.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/800x/200a770672541f5289c19dec62307d9f/c/o/colt-1911-main-spring.jpg

3 finger ( sear ) spring

https://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/339/339111.jpg

Invictus77
December 25, 2016, 20:22
?

How does that have anything to do with the OPs problem ?
Mainspring

We are saying the same thing with different terminology.

Main spring / sear spring / three finger spring....not the recoil spring.

tdb59
December 25, 2016, 20:29
We are saying the same thing with different terminology.

Main spring / sear spring / three finger spring....not the recoil spring.

Mainspring drives the hammer, and is located in the mainspring housing.

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/615/615532.jpg

The sear spring ( 3 finger) is held in place between the frame and the mainspring housing.

Invictus77
December 25, 2016, 20:37
Mainspring drives the hammer, and is located in the mainspring housing.

I stand corrected.

cowbilly
December 25, 2016, 22:11
Thank you gentlemen, unfortunately that was not it. I had a new Wilson sear spring (3 finger type) that I just put in and it still does the same thing. It is a factory trigger and it has not had any trigger work that I know of, any other ideas?

Thanks again.

tdb59
December 25, 2016, 22:16
Without seeing the gun, nothing definite.

Inspect the hammer, sear, and disconnector.

cowbilly
December 25, 2016, 22:35
Thanks, I don't see anything out of the ordinary (other than the safety is a booger to get out but goes in w/o a problem). Looks like I'll be ordering some parts.

I appreciate the advice.

L Haney
December 25, 2016, 22:53
The half cock notch on the hammer is undercut. Big time. Either the sear is not free to move and not dropping or the half cock notch is sheared off. Pull the hammer and eyeball it.

hueyville
December 26, 2016, 13:00
I have a Colt series 70 standard .45 ACP, high round count (shoot it a lot) recently the half cock started dropping when the trigger is pulled. Safety works fine at full cock, grip safety works, but hammer will drop if trigger is pulled on half-cock. Never did this before-could it be the hammer/sear engagement? Is there something else I need to look at? I figured the mainspring or hammer itself is just worn out but figured I would ask here before I start pulling it apart and replacing parts. Pistol functions fine other than that one issue. It has a great trigger pull, would not want to do anything to change that too much.

Thanks in advance for the advise.

So we have an old classic Colt that has been run hard likely with full power ball ammo. All mechanical systems wear with use, I would be suspect of entire fire control system. There is one part that has multiple wear surfaces, the sear. First the trigger bow must press agaimst the disconnector pad of sear rotatining it till sear tip releases the hammer to fall. Over time the disconnector pad, sear tip and pin/sear hole all wears. Also the hammer notch/hook wears and the hole/hammer pin wear all creating slop. Just recently my three most fired 45's got new hammers, sears, disconnectors and springs. Usually respring every 5,000 rounds then respring and fire control parts every 10,000.

Unless have a hammer and sear jig and experience fitting these parts have two suggestions. First is take to a qualified 1911 smith for repair. If have decent skills at replacing parts and safety checking order a Cylinder and Slide, Nowlin or Wilson drop in fire control parts kit, spring kit (don't get a low power main spring) that includes main, three finger and recoil spring plus a new set of pins. Avoid the under 3.5 pound kits as may have some fitting required even if marketed as drop-in. Suggest a reputable 4.0 pound drop in kit, springs and pins. Put all your originals in a bag in event want to return pistol to original at some time. Unloaded do a safety and reliability check then enjoy for another 5,000 rounds and respring.

Weak recoil spring will let you pistol beat itself to pieces. On many of my classic Colt 1911's that enjoy shooting, the original parts were put away long before worn and saving to put back. Wish had not butchered so many in name of customizing but can't undo it now.