PDA

View Full Version : 7.62X39 AR, (KS47) me likee

Timber Wolf
December 25, 2016, 17:52
Palmetto State Armory (PSA), in their relentless quest to separate me from my money, put on sale the required parts to build one of these back before Thanksgiving. I had been fence-sitting on the issue but decided what the heck. I have AKs in .223 & .308 so why not an AR in 7.62X39?

I got one of these: http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ks47-16-classic-mid-length-rifle-kit-77932146.html and one of these: http://palmettostatearmory.com/blem-psa-ks47-lower-receiver-7793198.html.

It was somewhat unusual for them to actually have both in stock, and on sale with free shipping so I considered it an omen and bit. I did not like the cheap carbine stock they provided so changed it and the buffer tube out for an early A1 (no trap door) buttstock I just happened to have in the bin for a worthy project. The combination of the standard handguard mid-length front with the A1 rear really makes for a nice looking and handling firearm.

I am pleased to report that with magazines it likes, it functions 100% gobbling ammo like M&Ms. With mags it does not like, it fails to feed when the cartridge is presented from the left side of the mag. The case gets hung on the ramp and pulling the charging handle back and letting it fly usually gets the case to feed.

I am thinking a fellow could lightly file/dremal/polish the left feed lip of the offending mags and get them to work. Since I have a few bazillion AK mags of a quarter bazillion different kinds I will just find a dozen that already work and dedicate them to the KS47.

While with the right mags I could see taking this to a fight, it will for me be a fun blaster. We shoot an Outlaw 2 Gun match down here and the KS47 with an MRO (my new favorite red dot) will be the bees-knees at the sub-50 yard ranges shot at this match.

meltblown
December 25, 2016, 18:12
What mags. ASC are flawless with mine. Now they have a 20 rounder that is nice without all the curvy length. PSA lower

Timber Wolf
December 25, 2016, 18:55
What mags. ASC are flawless with mine. Now they have a 20 rounder that is nice without all the curvy length. PSA lower

AK mags. The KS takes regular AK mags. I have tried a Chinese, a couple of Hungarian 20s, a couple of Magpul 20s, a 40 round steel generic, and a 75 round Chinese drum. All worked fine with the round presented on the right. Interestingly, one each of the Magpul and Hungarian 20s had issues but the other one each worked fine. The drum is made to only present the rounds "single stack" from the left side, and so had intermittent issues until 5-7 rounds had been shot and then worked 100%. That brings up a point, even the problematic mags worked better as rounds were expended. Pressure on the feed lip was reduced I suppose. I will continue to work with it, but overall I think I have a winner.

def90
December 25, 2016, 19:25
AK mags. The KS takes regular AK mags. I have tried a Chinese, a couple of Hungarian 20s, a couple of Magpul 20s, a 40 round steel generic, and a 75 round Chinese drum. All worked fine with the round presented on the right. Interestingly, one each of the Magpul and Hungarian 20s had issues but the other one each worked fine. The drum is made to only present the rounds "single stack" from the left side, and so had intermittent issues until 5-7 rounds had been shot and then worked 100%. That brings up a point, even the problematic mags worked better as rounds were expended. Pressure on the feed lip was reduced I suppose. I will continue to work with it, but overall I think I have a winner.

Would that maybe indicate a weak recoil spring?