PDA

View Full Version : HK handguard idendification

madmax_fal
December 22, 2016, 14:31
My Hk91-ptr91-clone(ish) (HK parts on PTR receiver made from an HKparts flat with a PTR barrel) has the narrow handguard as opposed to the wide. I have heard alot of conflicting things the origin and market of the wide and narrow hand grips. I understand that the original handguards (for G3) were wood, followed by narrow plastic in black and green, and now the wide variety in black, green, and earth. However, on the G3 schematic from robertrtg.com says that the narrow handguard is for military and the wide for civilians ie HK91. Its number 57 http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk170/fredieusa/Second/HKG3/01%20Kit/Schematics.jpg
And here, on the HK91 schematic, the handguard is wide:
http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv139/OURVISIONS/HK91schematics_zpsc4098296.jpg

So were were the wide handguards designed originally for HK91s or G3s, or both? And the narrow ones were not originally used on Hk91s?

hkshooter
December 22, 2016, 19:06
Wide, or tropical, hand guards were never made and marketed specifically for the civilian market to my knowledge. They were a natural progression of the evolution of the type for field use that were included with the civilian types when the rifles were modified and sold to civilians.

madmax_fal
December 22, 2016, 23:33
Wide, or tropical, hand guards were never made and marketed specifically for the civilian market to my knowledge. They were a natural progression of the evolution of the type for field use that were included with the civilian types when the rifles were modified and sold to civilians.

That was my understanding as well. So I guess the schematic is wrong?

hkshooter
December 23, 2016, 09:37
That was my understanding as well. So I guess the schematic is wrong?

Out of pure, morbid curiosity, I have to ask, why does it matter?

Call Robert and ask him. Maybe you'll learn something none of us know and we'll all learn something.

madmax_fal
December 23, 2016, 10:25
Out of pure, morbid curiosity, I have to ask, why does it matter?

Call Robert and ask him. Maybe you'll learn something none of us know and we'll all learn something.

lol I have absolutely NO idea. I guess I like history too much? You are right, it doesn't matter at all.

rotflmao! so ridiculous.

AGG
December 23, 2016, 10:26

Correct!!! :)
Depends upon your usage--- only the wide handguards will accept the factory bipod. ;)

Tony

hkshooter
December 23, 2016, 13:02
Correct!!! :)
Depends upon your usage--- only the wide handguards will accept the factory bipod. ;)

Tony

And the wide hand guard will not fit an early rifle with the ring around the barrel for the retention of the slim wood or plastic hand guard. Without modification, of course.