PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a used single six

jwv3
December 21, 2016, 21:40
LGS has a used new model stainless single six with only the 22lr cylinder for $325.00. Think its the 5.5" bbl. Looks to be in real nice shape. Would you buy at that price?

Jaxxas
December 21, 2016, 21:46
No!

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/606393676

ColeKira
December 21, 2016, 21:57
Doesn't sound like a bad deal at all. That GB link shows the reserve hasn't been met yet. It's SS so that's a plus.

chino*74
December 21, 2016, 22:22
I'd wait n get one with the magnum extra cylinder, I assume they still make that package?

308/223shooter
December 21, 2016, 22:40
I'd wait n get one with the magnum extra cylinder, I assume they still make that package?

Be sure to check that the spare cylinder has the last three digits of the serial.
It's important for timing issues.

FUUN063
December 23, 2016, 16:58
I'm not much on the New Model series, but two weeks ago I bought an Old Model 3 screw with the 9 1/2" barrel, unmodified and the extra cylinder. First 9 1/2" I've owned.

Leland:fal:

W.E.G.
December 23, 2016, 18:53
If you like the gun, and you think you will actually USE it on some regular basis as opposed to burying it, rarely to be ever seen, in a closet or the gun safe after one fam-fire, I say you should get it.

I love me some Ruger single-action revolvers.

I've had several. Now down to one. I think I'll hold onto it on general principles. Love the sound of that old three-screw. It sits full-time in my gun safe, but its not buried. Its right on top. Used but not abused. I rescued it from an estate sale where the cylinder was missing. I got a replacement cylinder from another estate: the estate of old-timey trick-shooter, Joe Bowman. Most of the time when I open the gun safe, I pull it out and give it a few clickety-click-clicks, and get just a little teary-eyed thinking about how much I miss Skeeter.

jwv3
December 23, 2016, 20:21
I think if it is still sitting there after Christmas, I'll buy it.

parallaxbill
December 30, 2016, 06:38
I'm not much on the New Model series, but two weeks ago I bought an Old Model 3 screw with the 9 1/2" barrel, unmodified and the extra cylinder. First 9 1/2" I've owned.

Leland:fal:

I've got an old 3 screw 9.5" single six too. Fantastic trigger and accurate! Looking to buy a 5.5" next to add to my 3 screw collection.

MAINER
December 30, 2016, 09:14
Yes and no. I think the LGS Ruger is a fair buy, but I would take a run at the GB one Jaxxas posted with the 22 Maggie cylinder first. I don't know what Ruger would charge to fit a Mag cylinder these days.

I would want the 22 mag option, but that may not be important to you.

Like the other snobs here, I'm a "Three screw" fan and if I didn't already have a SS for each hand plus a back up, I'd be all over this one. It's a beaut! :love:
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/609250042

My last Super SS was a converted 3 screw that I re-converted to original configuration, but with the trouble I had sourcing parts that's not likely to happen again. I do think it's cool that a former Flattop .44 Mag trigger works just fine in a Single Six. :shades:

bouncer50
December 30, 2016, 10:49
I'd wait n get one with the magnum extra cylinder, I assume they still make that package? Try and find ammo for the 22 mag and if you do the cost$$$. Most people who have the extra mag cylinder its rare to use it or never use it. My old Colt has a mag cylinder i use it once to try out. So do some hard thinking if you really need it.:confused: