PDA

View Full Version : Non-leader slugs out of a fixed full choke bbl?

AFeod
December 19, 2016, 14:19
All I find is mixed info... I put in for four draws for pig. Non leaded slugs only. I'd like to use my a5 mag. I think the 3" might help. It's only that she's got a fixed full choke bbl. I have an 870 wingmaster but she's not a mag and has a fixed modified choke. Would that be a better choice. Please discuss. TIA

SAFN49
December 19, 2016, 15:09
The more a slug is deformed by the choke the less accurate they will be. I would go with the modified if that was my only choice other than a full.

I would go with these Brenneke slugs as they can be used with any choke.

http://sportsmanslifestyle.com/deer-hunting-goes-green-brenneke-lead-free-shotgun-slug/

I also don't think you need a 3". 2 3/4" 290gr @ 2000 fps = 2600 ftlbs of muzzle energy is plenty.

AFeod
December 19, 2016, 18:54
Thanks for the input. I will put in an order for a box of those slugs. If I get drawn, I'll hunt w/ those

hueyville
January 06, 2017, 11:03
Brenneke slugs are my go to slug most of the time in a smooth bore of any choke. Winchester Partition Gold are 3" copper and will do what you need. In my rifled slug gun use 50 caliber sabot copper solids. Not sure with todays technology 3" magnum is 100% necessary. That said am a slug freak and have almost every varient ever seen. Winchester XP3 sabot slugs are lead free copper solids, great on hogs and deer, their Razor Back rifled slugs are designed for big bore but will break down a deer but are lead. Top lead no lead choice is Brenneke Super Sabots or TKO lead would be Black Magic Magnums or Magnum Crush. Dont let their Green Magnum or Magic fool you, are a coated lead projectile. Could buy a fleet of scatter guns with money have invested in odd projectiles.

If not tried it for defense, the Winchester PDX1 Defender is a mix of a specially designed slug with buckshot. Specifically for defense work but the slug is designed to split into three pieces and tumble in different paths through target. At 25 feet makes one of the ugliest set of wound channels seen. The combination of buckshot and fragmenting slug is sure to turn a human size attacker into instant jello salad.