PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 930 SPX range report

Cava3r4
December 15, 2016, 18:06
I bought the shotgun (Mossberg 930 spx) and thought the recoil on it was a lot TOUGHER then my Remington 870 pump.
With that said, I've ordered the following stock from Brownells.
94710 MOSSB 930 URBINO LIMB & RISER
(you can look at it here..... http://harristacticalonline.com/Mesa...0-MT-94710.htm )

It was about a 1/2 hour install. You will need a vise and a bench to do this.
My good old auto mechanic fixed me right up.

So, with the NEW stock, this works really sweet. Recoil feels a lot more manageable. I was WORRIED that I was wimping out in my old age but my young friend told me it recoils more then his lightweight bolt action 308 rifle that I was shooting today also with no problems.

Love my Mossberg. OH, and BTW.... I put a Bushnell TRS-25 on it, and it is "zeroed" and it stood up to the recoil too....so far. We shall see.

def90
December 17, 2016, 00:39
I have a JM 930 Pro and have to say it's a pretty soft shooting shotty. Absolutely love it and have had no issues..

FalDoc1982
December 17, 2016, 11:58
Yeah, I also have a JM Pro 930, got it for a steal at the local gun shop by the VA clinic I go to. It had been there a while and the price was just right, even though I was looking at a 930 Tactical I couldn't pass up the price. I haven't had a chance to pattern it yet, just shot off a few rounds at a friends place and the recoil on it was quite nice.

The 930s are pretty great shotguns for the money, sure there are a few out there that are a little smoother, less recoil, a little nicer, but none come close to the price of a 930. As long as they're cleaned well they run very well.

Cava3r4
December 17, 2016, 19:29
how far down do you strip it to clean it.
what lube, if any do you use on the gas piston??

def90
December 17, 2016, 20:33
I shoot clays with mine.. After a day of running through a case or two of shells I'll run a boresnake through it and lube with CLP. After a few trips to the range once or twice a year I'll strip it down..

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QfqdygODl9k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FalDoc1982
December 18, 2016, 11:53
how far down do you strip it to clean it.
what lube, if any do you use on the gas piston??

I'm a bit of a nut when it comes to cleaning, so I clean after most range trips, and the piston on the 930 should be cleaned every few hundred rounds to keep it running smoothly. I have a brass brush for the gas system and after all the carbon is cleaned off I wipe it with a lightly oiled rag, any more lube than that will just attract too much carbon.