PDA

View Full Version : AR15 Recce Build

rbgonoles
December 11, 2016, 18:23
This is my Black Friday specials rifle build. Wanted to do a reconnaissance style rifle. Had the BCM lower and when I saw the the Geissele Mk8 free floating rail on sale, the rest was history

BCM Complete Lower
BCM Upper
BCM Mod 4 CH
AIM NiB BCG
Ballistic Advantage 16" SS mid length
Magpul Pro flip up sights
Geissele Mk8 rail
Primary Arms 1-6x scope w/ American Defense qd mount

http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag403/burker2525/IMG_8066_zpsdaauxqtm.jpg (http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/burker2525/media/IMG_8066_zpsdaauxqtm.jpg.html)

aquaman
December 11, 2016, 19:06
Looks nice! What sort of stock is that? The pistol grip seems to have a different angle as well?

rbgonoles
December 11, 2016, 19:30
Looks nice! What sort of stock is that? The pistol grip seems to have a different angle as well?

BCM gunfighter stock and BCM grip Mod 3

Sagerider
December 11, 2016, 19:46
Nice looking rifle. :)

brunop
December 11, 2016, 20:38
Nice looking stick. BCG makes good stuff.

Sparkey762
December 11, 2016, 20:45
How do you like the ACSS reticle? I am trying to decide on a scope for one of my AR builds.
Sweet looking rifle by the way!

rbgonoles
December 11, 2016, 20:50
I really like the ACSS reticle. Started with a Primary Arms 5x prism. Now I have this 1-6x and also picked up the 3x compact prism on Black Friday. Very easy to use.

hkshooter
December 11, 2016, 20:55
Nice.

jhend170
December 11, 2016, 23:04
I really like the ACSS reticle. Started with a Primary Arms 5x prism. Now I have this 1-6x and also picked up the 3x compact prism on Black Friday. Very easy to use.

The better half is getting me the 1-8 for Christmas. Already have the 4-14 ACSS HUD and it is fantastic for the $$$.

rbgonoles
December 12, 2016, 09:09
The better half is getting me the 1-8 for Christmas. Already have the 4-14 ACSS HUD and it is fantastic for the $$$.

I was looking at the 4-14. B-day is in February, might have to ask the wife.

82ndRecon
December 12, 2016, 09:53
Sweet looking rifle.

leper
December 12, 2016, 16:58
A good looker
Does the rail use the shims and little wrench to line up or just a normal torque wrench?

rbgonoles
December 12, 2016, 18:45
Rail uses a proprietary Geissele barrel nut with a supplied wrench that you attach to your torque wrench. Rail then attaches with screws that interface with the nut. It was extremely easy to install.

hueyville
December 14, 2016, 06:43
Have you run the numbers on build cost? This is the kind of build I like to see, everything you need, little you don't. Have personally never used front vertical grips but know lots of folks that put them on almost every rifle. Chalk that up to personal preference but the rest is a rifle I would not hesitate to screw together and pitch in the truck. No ultra-light over priced under strength parts, no pile of lights, lasers or such, bolt on instead of Q.D. scope mount (not a quick detach fan as always have a pocket tool if need to throw broken scope through bushes), good sights in event that were to happen. No cheap chinese crap, no overpriced overly marketed parts that are more name than function. Since I never buy complete lowers or as many matched components (BCM) it would be nice to know what the Black Friday special priced out. I picked up a couple more Smith M&P 15's Black Friday as always seem to find a deal on them and like having a certain number of factory rifles NIB for grins. That said, a mostly matched component build like yours is intriguing as able to hand select an important piece here and there. If runs like looks, that will be a rifle to appreciate a lifetime.

rbgonoles
December 14, 2016, 09:27
Thanks for the compliments. Looking at the numbers the rifle without optic and mount came in at $1,166. The complete BCM lower was $395. This is where I could have saved about $150 - $200 if I had searched out a stripped lower like Anderson or Aero Precision. Then bought LPK, stock assembly and upgraded trigger.

The Geissele rail was $173 ($250)
The Ballistic Advantage barrel was $189 ($240)
Magpul Pro sights $140 ($170)
BCM Upper $119
BCM Charging handle $50
AIM Nib BCG $100

So about $771 for the upper. I could have went with the standard Magpul polymer sights and saved $60 and didn't really need the upgraded charging handle, but the bigger latch is nice. For some reason I wanted to go more premium on this project. I have a PSA middy and a S&W Sport which have functioned flawlessly for the last few years.

I also had fun picking the parts and putting it together, so that was priceless:shades:

leper
December 14, 2016, 15:08
I also had fun picking the parts and putting it together, so that was priceless:shades:

yep

Eyeguy
December 14, 2016, 15:45
Very nice RB. Will we see her on Sunday?

hueyville
December 14, 2016, 16:52
Metal sights over plastic is not a bad idea, if have broken a scope plastic sights might have been colatteral damage in that event. Good money spent. Charging handles are tough call, like nice ones but sure are pricey. Luckily have always had plenty of old Colt steel chargers in junk boxes can use then swap in an aftermarket latch. I like my old steel chargers, aluminium doesn't save that much weight on one and a broken charging handle would suck at the wrong time. So again, quality on that part is money well spent. $1,100 for a nice rifle built to your preferred specs is not a bad price. I like my cheap junk box rifles but their not what picking up when life is on the line. Not blowing sunshine up your @$$, that is one well laid out build IMO.

rbgonoles
December 14, 2016, 17:00
Very nice RB. Will we see her on Sunday?

Absolutely:biggrin:

Invictus77
December 14, 2016, 17:04
Absolutely:biggrin:

:wink:

garson
February 02, 2017, 18:44
Nice Build...

What's the empty weight on that?

rbgonoles
February 02, 2017, 18:52
IDK but it feels extremely light, even with the scope. Shot her a few weeks ago. Extremely accurate.

Invictus77
February 02, 2017, 19:38
^^^^ This :D